1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford C-Max Energi Gets Official EPA Rating of 100 MPGe Combined

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by scottf200, Oct 11, 2012.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Energi's highway is 41 MPG after depletion. That got me thinking. The aerodynamic is the same with the hybrid model. Why 6 MPG down from 47?

2. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Local dealer called, they have an Energi on the lot to drive. Might take a run over on Saturday and take it for a ride. Probably still wait for the Fusion Energi to get cool car and a sun roof, neither a feature with the Energi.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I thought it has a sunroof ... except that it didn't open ... nor could you close a panel to keep the sun out all together. The motorized versions cost a mint. Isn't it approximately a $1,500 option for the prius?

SGH-I717R ? 2

4. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    C-MAX and Prius V share the dumbest of all options, a non-opening "Vista roof" but have no sun/moon roof. Fusion has an actual sun roof and same mileage as the C-MAX. The key will be what is the Fusion's EV mileage (needs to be 20 miles) and (for me) a pass through of some kind to fit skis in the trunk.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Jeep Wrangler has 10 less that the Prius. What do we call it?
    The Rav4 has the same cargo volume as the old Focus wagon. Perhaps Toyota should of used SUW like was on the Matrix window sticker. Pennsylvania DMV calls the Tahoe a station wagon. Perhaps that what they should all be called?

If off road capability is a criteria, then the Highlander is out of the SUV club.

It's all just marketing buzz. SUV came about because they wanted something simple to call the covered pick ups that were becoming popular. Jeeps used to just be Jeeps before. Probably the same with the Broncos and Suburbans. The C-max falls into the utility category because it has more over a sedan, and there is still a stigma to wagon. Same with hatchback to a lesser degree. Otherwise there wouldn't be a Prius and Yaris liftback. We could argue over what defines what, be we aren't writing the ad copy.

6. acdii

acdii Active Member

The sunroof in the Cmax has a cover, its motorized too. That was one of the things I looked at after I heard they didnt open. Would be dumb to have a glass roof with no sun shade.

I bought a 2013 FFH today and read the owners manual, the EV modes can be adjusted in the Energi to use EV Now, or EV Later. That always had me wondering, if you live on a highway, like we do, where you leave your driveway and do 55 right off the bat, and travel 36 miles, the EV would be wasted, since best MPG can usually be obtained on an ICE at highway speeds, and best city on EV. So if you can switch it on when you enter city traffic, thats a total WIN.

I dont know about the Energi, but the Hybrid rear seats fold flat, and there is 7' of room between the trunk and rear of the front seats, with about an 8" opening between the trunk and passengers. I checked it out to see which one has the most room so I can transport my RC planes, and the Fusion won out.

I did long test drives in both the Cmax, and the FFH, and the only thing I didn't like, and it was the reason I didn't get it, was the center console. My right calf pressed against it, no matter how I tried to adjust the seat and wheel, and after 10 minutes started to bother me. Since I would be driving for at least an hour in it one way, that was enough to look at the Fusion. If it weren't for that, the C-max really is a nice vehicle, no matter what its called. It was a very strong contender, until I drove the Fusion.

My mother has a 2009 MKS, and I didn't want to drive it, because I LOVED what it has. Well, now the Fusion has the same features, and it's mine. Adaptive Cruise control, Lane Keeping, Driver alert, Auto high beams, Park Assist, Collision Avoidance, were all features on her Lincoln, and the Fusion has them all now. Damn Fine Job Ford!

austingreen likes this.
  7. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does the 2013 Fusion Hybrid rear seat fold down.

8. acdii

acdii Active Member

Yep! Full flat, too bad the front passenger no longer folds flat like it does in the sport.

9. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks...that's great news for skiers and fishermen. Keep us posted on the mpg. There's been a lot of internet chatter that the 2013 Fords are not making their rated mpg.

10. acdii

acdii Active Member

I will have to relearn the technique in the new Fusion, its more sensitive to input than the older one. My FIL has a Cmax and has been getting ~43 in it, which considering the terrain where he lives, it being his first hybrid, and the weather being cold, is pretty darn good.

Once I drive it on familiar roads, IE going to work and back, I will have a better feel on the MPG's, today it was too windy and in the 20's, both have big hits on MPG, so 38 was the best I could do, plus you cant' get an accurate read for the first 1000 miles since everything needs to meld first. Heck not even the Prius I had showed decent MPG for the first 1000 miles. If in 2 months and 4000 miles its still pretty crappy, well, yeh, I will definitely bich.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well mostly because its not 6 miles difference. lots of reports finding the 47-47-47 rating of the hybrid to be a bit "optimistic?"

12. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Change in gear ratio to allow 85MPH in EV.. means lower efficiency as the ratio between MG1 and MG2 have to be different and at normal speeds using the ICE, the power-split will need more of the ICE as the EV cannot provide as much torque at lower speeds.

The 47/47/47 may be optimiztic, then again the 41 might be optimistic too. Fuelly has only 23 of them so its hard to really judge so far.

I've seen posts stating thatwith the C-Max's learning it could take a long time to see it. Other posts have said you cannot really measure the efficiency of a hybrid till you have 10000 miles on the engine, (e.g. this post) With a good PHEV that could take some time (It will take me about 5 years at the rate I'm going).