1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found: New Japanese Method for Measuring Hybrid Power

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect the Gen 4 will still be down on power on paper if it were using the old engine+battery rating but the difference won't be as much. I think it'll be around 128-130hp as my guess.

Note that the RAV4 Hybrid is rated at 194hp while the Camry Hybrid and ESh are rated at 200hp. The loss is about 6hp on paper for that HSD setup.

Of interest, the 2016 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid's net hybrid system horsepower did not change from 2015. Does this new agreement only apply to new models then?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Already done by @PencilGeek who posted some dyno runs:
    [​IMG]
    This is why making a video of a 2016 maximum acceleration was such a brilliant hack. We still have some unknowns, the roll-down coefficients, but these should be available in January. But I also expect we'll see dyno runs within six months.
    Toyota released a presentation showing acceleration is more linear with the sound of the CVT. Then there is: Nissan alters all CVTs to act less like a stretched rubberband

. . .
    To give drivers the option of feeling gearshifts while on the road, Nissan is adding its D-Step Shift Logic feature to the CVTs in multiple vehicles. Steve Powers, Nissan's senior manager of powertrain performance, told Autoblog the system forces the transmission to "hold a ratio and then shift" to simulate the way that a traditional automatic would. It's simply a change in software, but the company "can't do it to older CVTs," he said, because it would require changes to transmission logic, as well. According to Automotive News, the upgrade is coming to the 2015 Versa, Versa Note (pictured above), Sentra, V6-equipped Altima, Pathfinder and Quest. "We're rolling it out to all programs," said Powers.

. . .​

Bob Wilson

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Picture didn't show, Bob.

I've uploaded here.

dyno.jpg

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The NXh is also 196hp. The difference can be due to greater losses in the SUV drive train.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This doesn't bode well for Toyota - if they're trying to pass off a "change in calculation" for the loss of hp. Again, I suspect the Gen 4 is down on power anyway, the question is by how much.

austingreen likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let's not be too hasty until we get some hard dyno number or better coast-down coefficients.

Bob Wilson

That_Prius_Car likes this.
  7. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It would be interesting to know how much Kw output the new batterys have .
    I read somewhere 37 Kw but I am not sure !
    Considering the lithium-ion or NiMh really has 37 Kw power output,then that would mean the new Prius would have about 148 hp horsepower if calculated the old way !

72 Kw ICE+37 Kw battery= 109 Kw = 148 hp

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That might explain that Taiwanese site's estimation of 140-150hp. The same site with the green and blue drawings.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't find battery power specifications on toyota.jp.

On the subject of fuel economy, here's the fine print for the Prius E in Japan (the Eco model). This supports the argument about the Prius Eco's weight designed to meet a different weight class.

So basically, if you option up your Prius E such that the weight is over 1,320kg, then the official JC-08 number is 39.0 km/L instead of 40.8 km/L

10. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is also what I want to know. The battery's maximum kW output.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: 2016 Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT First Drive Review

To Argonne National Laboratory’s Mike Duoba and his SAE J2908 (Hybrid System Net Power Rating) task force, the net power of a hybrid powertrain is material for serious debate. Rating a car’s combustion engine by its lonesome is easy peasy by current J1349 and J2723 standards: Test the engine as it’d be dressed and installed for customer consumption, right at the crankshaft. But for a hybrid system—where two (or more) propulsion components and two (or more) energy storage mediums are in play—its energy management can be highly unpredictable.

For years, engine shaft power to the transmission was the metric . . . and then they put a hydro-mechanical, automatic transmission between the engine and wheels. They were so inefficient that the transmission fluid had to pass through a radiator cooler loop. Yet these mechanical monsters were ignored by the automotive press and 0-60 times and efficiency were often rated for the mechanical transmission cars.

Net horsepower to the wheels, dyno runs, are the gold standard. But the draft appears to use shaft power from the engine and traction battery power, not the wheel values. There are still constant velocity joints, wheel bearings, and tires to pass through . . . tires being the big unknown.

I would be OK with coupling the drive wheels to a dyno coupling. Something as simple as hydraulic pumps or electric motors would work for me. This would eliminate the tire-roller unknowns. But keeping the tires has one big advantage . . . finally measuring tire rolling resistance.

Then one last change, speed stepped MPG chart. Use random number generators to:
    1. Set target speed order, 15-80 mph, and 0 (aka., random stops)
    2. Set target speed duration, 5-10 minutes
    About the tires, the same dyno with the tires bolted to a weight for loading would work very nicely.

Bob Wilson

#31 bwilson4web, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    That_Prius_Car likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    SAE J2908 for 2010 Prius (Gen 3, ZVW30) using HEM mini OBD, 200 ms. sampling rate:
    [​IMG]

Approaching the Brindley Mountain upgrade, I was stopped at a traffic light with a minivan on the right. When the light change, the minivan and I moved out briskly down a 1/4 mile slope to the base with an estimated speed between 65-70 mph. Then I floored the accelerator and soon was climbing at 91 mph. At the crest there is a gentle turn and as I was lifting off, the 'traction' warning light briefly flashed. It looks like that triggered an engine torque pulse while it was still spinning at 5100 rpm, the power spike at the end that slowed the engine down to ~4,000 rpm. I've attached a section of the recorded data.

My eyes suspect the 2010 and 2016 Prius share many of the same control laws. The maximum power may be speed limited because the first two seconds saw a lethargic spin-up of the engine. This is consistent with the 2016 Prius, maximum acceleration curve seen in the Nov 8 demo drives that remained flat until Jason reach 89-90 mph and started to rise. Regardless, my eyes see maximum power in the 117-120 hp range that tapers off as the traction battery charge is depleted.

I have Nuvi recorded GPS data to integrate with these metrics which will add speed and altitude changes.

Bob Wilson

Attached Files:

#32 bwilson4web, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    austingreen likes this.
  13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO it is too hard to try and find a single number to compare engine horsepower to in hybrid verusus conventional transmission.

1) It would be fairly straghtforward to hp at the axles with accesories off, but this is less than traditional hp at the engine. Unlike a traditionally geared transmission, speed is needed to reach max hp in the prius.

2) We could devine a hp equivelant for a car the size and weight, using best fit line doing 0-60, 5-60, 45-65, or other traditional metrics.

3) we can throw up our hands

Either way its not straightforward. The gen III accelerates like a 200 hp car to 30, but then feels like a 100 hp car at highway speeds. Do you give it credit for the stop and go, or the highway? Maybe 121 is a better guestimate, but we are comparing unlike things.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

You might look for some 'Easter Eggs' in the attached data file. For example, injector volume times ICE rpm versus MAF and EGR position during the climb. You can see where the car switches to fuel enrichment during the climb.

When I first found SAE J2908 (draft) and the Japanese version, it really looked close to a net HP. The only thing missing was how to account for the transaxle, CVT, wheel bearing, and tire drag. Fortunately, the basic metrics can be found in the OBD stream. Just the HEM mini is a little complex.

The HEM package has an encrypted database of pretty much every Toyota OBD for just about every model. It has a sophisticated way to poll the ECUs to determine which commands are valid. This is used to 'enable' the OBD commands from the database. Unfortunately, it takes some field work to trim the database down to the dynamic parameters . . . 'some assembly is required.' It also has issues with multi-value returns.

Some OBD data records contain two metrics avoiding timing delays (aka., race conditions) such as returning combined rpm and torque needed for power calculations. I've put the dual-data return OBD values aside for now as there are ways to handle race conditions in the data at some loss of timing. I'm hoping to find combined voltage and current from the traction battery.

Right now, I'm tweaking HEM before running a maximum acceleration test like Ad Hoc 0-60 mph | PriusChat. Only I'll go to at least 100 mph instead of doing a hill climb. I'll also get a total weight with driver before the test. I am surprised no one else has thought to replicate this test with a Gen-3, Gen-2, or Gen-1. It will also allow faster and more accurate collection of mph vs MPG data in some interesting speed ranges.

Anyway, enjoy the 'Easter Eggs' as more will follow.

Bob Wilson

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how did you get a 2012 aqua plug in base in arizona?(n)

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So this is a work in progress but my first cut at 2001-03 Prius performance:
    [​IMG]
    • 90-94 hp net power after 70 mph
    • ICE power increases by rpm which is speed dependent
      • ICE power limited by MG1 torque which is nearly constant for each run
    • First run after forced charge has traction battery energy at end of run
    • Second run without forced charge runs out of battery energy
    Without some way to increase MG1 torque, we can not get more power from the engine. This is probably the same limitation of all Prius.

Bob Wilson

#36 bwilson4web, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  17. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For what it's worth, I've found a possible battery power for the ZVW51, buried in here, after doing some math: Development of the Li-ion Battery Cell for Hybrid Vehicle

The second-generation Li-ion cells used in ZVW51 are rated at 3920 W/kg, each cell weighs 204 g, there's 56 cells in the ZVW51's pack. That means 11.424 kg of cells, or 44.78 kW of power delivery.

So, using the Gen 3 method of measuring power, assuming full power delivery is allowed from the cells (because Gen 3's power rating is based on what the pack can deliver, not the cells), ZVW51 would be at 156 system hp. Considering how much more aggressive the Gen 4 is at delivering power to MG2, to reduce engine RPM spikes, I wouldn't be surprised if you actually are getting 60 hp from the battery for short bursts... but just that, short bursts.

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Your idea of the battery itself is probably correct, but power to the motors is limited by software, the motor and inverter are sized because of these software limits. So while you possibly get 60 kw in bursts from the battery, it would require beefed up motor and inverter to use it. Usable charge is only around 0.52 kwh (40% of 1.3kwh) which only could burst at 60hp (40kw)
    for about 40 seconds. Still bmw does do beefed up inverters and motors and limits bursts to 5 seconds at the higher power level (inverter doesn't need as much cooling if you limit high energy bursts, and battery lasts longer).

Back on track, if toyota limits in software the battery to 27kw, really after the inverter and motor its probably 24 kw when its out or around 32 hp at mg2 shaft. Now this peak probably does not match peak hp from the ice, and is determined by speed, and what mg1 is doing.

What can we tell from this navel gazing? If we want peak hp its gong to come at a certain speed, and mg1 will be contributing less than 32 hp (yeah, I could try the math, but don't have the hp/rpm curves for it). The new rating is probably much more accurate, and less misleading.

How does it compare with ice only hp ratings? Well what is important is not hp at the ice, but hp at the wheels, and that means the transmission has a big say in it.

Compared to a slush box (traditional automatic, there are large losses between 0-19 mph as slip is used to give a smooth shif. A dct or manual will do better, but the hsd will beat this handily. The 27 kw or what ever it is can be applied directly to mg2 at 0 mph, and mg1 can generate and feed it more efficiently than even a manual. When we are cruising along at high speed though and ask for more power, the hsd's motor can't contribute that much so its really closer to ice only hp. Hey this is probably a good thing for most prius drivers. It acts more like a 200 hp engine for your 0-30, but then a 100 hp engine above 50. Ymmv.

19. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Good research! Your right, it's all about filling the gaps in gas engine output. Once the gas engine is spooled up, the batteries probably only add a maximum of around the 18 kW (24 HP) difference between the engine's 72 kW (90 HP) peak output and the car's 90 kW (122 HP) maximum rated system output. The gen 4 Prius and the Prime both carry the same system output rating even though the Prime is capable of a peak battery output of around 68 kW.

This cross-checks well with the idea that peak acceleration routes about 50% of the engine output (36 kW) through MG1 which leaves room for the battery to contribute a further 17 kW or so to max-out the 53 kW rating of MG2. Or something like that....