1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front power window chatter and tape on window

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sdcruiser, Feb 8, 2021.

1. sdcruiser

sdcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I bought my 2017 Prime used. Since I've owned it sometimes when opening the front windows I'll get a noise initially like chatter or like the window is slightly stuck. Washing the car today I noticed that there appears to be a small triangular piece of tape on the inside (bottom front in back of the overlapping door trim) both of the front windows. The tape has a strange swirl like texture to it. My neighbor also has the 2017 and doesn't appear to have this "tape". Does anyone else have this issue and this tape? I didn't want to try to remove it until I know it's purpose if there is one. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ask a dealer maybe ?
    And do you really not understand that there are WAY too many reflections in that picture for it to be useful for anything ??
    At least I have no idea where the object you are talking about IS.

3. sdcruiser

sdcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes it's really tough to take pic of clear glass and clear tape. The taped area has a series of texture like markings that almost look like the beginning of an exponential curve. Both sides look like this. This pic might be a lot better

Attached Files:

4. mrchowmein

mrchowmein Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That looks like a bad tint job. is it possible the last owner had some really light or clear solar rejecting tint film on the windows? and now its peeling off? Going to the dealer, they will just probably just tell you to replace the glass and charge you for it. If you say no, they will just charge you the inspection fee. If you have time, you can go to the tint shop and ask them for a quote to replace the tint. They probably wont charge you to look at the car. When they see your car, they can tell you "oh, thats not tint" or "yea, we can remove that tint and replace it for you"

5. sdcruiser

sdcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Yeah it almost looks like someone removed a tint quickly and did not want to take the door trim off to remove the portion in back of that. But it's not tinted so maybe just a UV film? I think if I can get it started I can peel it off but there might be residual adhesive left over. I guess in the worst case I can remove the door panel trim. I had to do that on my 2004 Prius to install speakers so that can't be very hard once I determine where the clips are. I'm sure this is probably why the window sometimes chatters or makes a "break away" noise initially on opening, lol.

6. mrchowmein

mrchowmein Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yea im thinking its just clear uv tint too. I'm sure you can find some articles online on how to clean off any window adhesive.

7. sdcruiser

sdcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes, thanks for the suggestion. I just watched a video of removing the door trim if I have to do that. Not much room to work without doing that if the adhesive doesn't come off but pretty easy once the panel is removed. I hate to deal with plastic snap fits, lol. They always have a very limited life. Thanks again!