1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Sway bar DIY?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by caymandiver75, Jun 28, 2013.

1. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I recently upgraded my standard Prius with a touring rear sway bar and LOVE it, but now I'd like to do more to include adding the Touring front sway bar. There are several rear DIY threads, but can't find anything for the front. Anyone know where I can find some installation instructions for the front sway bar?

Thanks!

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    there is a thread about the front bar. you don't need a touring bar, you need a corolla bar. the corolla bar is 24mm; you got to remove the rear bolts from your subframe to squeeze it in. a few of us have done it and it works fantastic. get a '03-'07 corolla bar from the junk yard, make sure its got the frame mounts with it.
    actually the thread is titled "rear sway bar" but the front bar info is in there too.

SFO likes this.
  3. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Hmm the Corolla bar is an interesting idea, but not the direction I'd like to go with the project. My goal is to just get the car setup with all touring parts. 24mm front bar is quite a bit thicker than both the standard and touring bar so I have a feeling it will throw off the handling some and add some discomfort to the drive.

BTW.. You are close to me! I'm in Herndon. Maybe we could meet up and go for a spin some time.

4. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i think the touring front bar is the same as the base bar. and trust me when i say the corolla bar is perfect. if you want to see how it feels, you can stop by my house and i'll let you check it out. it corners almost like a sports car, but it doesn't make the ride harsh at all. my worn out struts make the ride harsh, but i'm trying to convince my wallet to open up and pay for some new ones. also wondering who makes the very best struts for street driving.

Daves09prius likes this.
  5. enchanter

enchanter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Everything that I've read indicates that the front sway-bars are the same on the base and the touring.

6. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hmmm I don't believe that is true. Part numbers are different for the touring vs standard front sway bar and post 114 of the thread below indicates 22mm for touring vs 21mm on the standard. 1 mm difference in the rear made a very noticeable difference so I'm thinking a 1mm difference in the front will be just as good.

Touring Suspension Parts Research | Page 6 | PriusChat

7. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In your experience, what is a reasonable life span of a car strut? I understand that this is very dependent on the driven life of the car (usual road surface quality etc). However, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

8. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    aftermarket shops are taught 50k, but it does really depend on how and where its driven. and you can bet they're weak after 100k. i usually recommend replacement if i see leakage or the ride is obviously rough. but i got 189k on the fronts, so i know they're done even if the LF didn't make noise over speed bumps (it does). my rear were leaking at 40k and i got them replaced under CPO warranty. i'm sure they could use replacing again too.

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  9. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    your touring rear bar might only be 1mm larger diameter, but is it hollow or solid? and how thick is it if it is hollow? so you can't simply go by diameter. and a 3mm difference isn't really that much, but man did it flatten out the ride. if you don't corner hard and don't mind a little body roll, the touring is probably fine if it really is thicker, but you can get a used corolla bar for $50-60 from a junk yard w/ frame bushings. i bet the touring costs more and won't work as good. either way i'm sure you'll love the improvement.

SFO likes this.
  10. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, thanks.

11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here is my thread about swapping out my 20mm hallow rear OEM Touring for a 24mm Solid Progess bar.
    Modding My 2008 Touring...."JustDidIt" | Page 7 | PriusChat

Here is my other thread about swapping out the 22mm front OEM Touring for a 24mm Toyota Matrix front sway bar.
    Modding My 2008 Touring...."JustDidIt" | Page 7 | PriusChat

I am fully satisfied with the upgrade over OEM. However, if someone didn't want to pay retail $ for the 24mm front or Progess rear bar but wanted an upgrade over the base model - I'd be willing to sell my 2008 OEM Touring sway bar setup cheap.

12. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ^Thanks! Just read through your thread and it appears you've just about got every mod available for the car minus aftermarket wheels.

I think I may be convinced now to give a 24mm front bar a try. What all do I need to look for as far as part numbers?
    1. Bar,
    2. Bushings
    3. Brackets
    4. Bolts/Nuts

69shovlhed,
    Would love to meet up to see the difference in the ride. If you're free Monday or any evening after 830 let me know.

-James

13. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If i'm not too tired maybe tomorrow night, but looks like sunday is gonna be the best day for me. i got to work this saturday or that would be ok.

SFO and Daves09prius like this.
  14. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All-in-all, a FSB upgrade to complement a RSB upgrade is good if you want to have everyday, responsive and flatter turn-ins (less roll). It should bring back the understeery tendency of stock form, but with more cornering speed. That is, until the understeer bites in a less-forgiving way. So you have to be prepared and be careful in that regard that you don't overcorrect (especially in the wet). To match a FSB upgrade, it's a good idea to upgrade to better tires at the front to lessen understeer (in extreme cases). If you want faster cornering speeds with more forgiving understeer or neutral handling, I think just a RSB upgrade is needed.

Many FWD race cars even disconnect the FSB links and just rely on the coilovers to do their job at keeping the front end in check.

SFO likes this.
  16. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    on these cars, just doing the rear bar will not give you neutral handling. if you turn too quick it will want to fish tail, not terrible but if you aren't careful it feels like it will spin out. the front bar cured that completely. i suppose w/ coil overs or performace front struts, this would not be a problem but i don't want a stiff ride any more than i want excessive body roll.

Daves09prius and caymandiver75 like this.
  17. enchanter

enchanter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally installed a the same swaybar and used your post as a guide with a slight change. It took about 2hrs total.

In order:
    - Removed front wheels
    - Removed 2 19mm outer rear subframe bolts. The rear inner 19mm bolts are suspension mounts and do not need to be touched.
    - Loosened 2 front subframe almost all the way out. I removed them 1 at a time and just rethreaded them 3 turns in. This allows the subframe to droop but not fall / come off.
    - Removed the swaybar clamps and end-link attachment nut.
    - Removed the steering rack mounts.
    - Easily removed the swaybar by moving it towards the rear of the car. It damn near fell out on its own. Seriously. Snaking it out to the left or right is a PITA.

I did not touch the tie-rod at all.

18. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the reason behind attempting to snake it out the side is that sometimes, subframe bolts are seized and if you break one off, it'll ruin you day. if you can weasel it out the side, and your new bar is the same shape as stock, you don't need to remove the subframe bolts at all. was your new bar the same shape as the base bar?
    also, the subframe on most cars will shift if you loosen the bolts and will affect your alignment. you may want to get your alignment checked, or at least keep an eye on your tires for uneven wear, if you weren't very careful about positioning the subframe.

19. Inspire

Inspire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Do you guys know if the prius bolts work with the corolla front sway bar bracket?

20. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium