1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Windshield crack

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by devden, Jun 19, 2017.

1. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This forum has been very helpful in my decision of buying a Prime. I got mine in the first batch of deliveries in 2nd week of Nov.
    Had a smooth ride until 2 days back when I was rear ended which led to few minor scratches on the rear bumper. I parked it in the garage straight away waiting to hear back from the opposite person's Insurance.
    However, the next morning I noticed a 12 inch horizontal crack on my front windshield.

Can it be a result of the rear end crash? Has anyone faced any similar issues? Can it be a result of faulty assembly considering it was the very first batch of Primes to hit the West Coast?

Appreciate any inputs.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A small, all but invisible crack will grow. Sounds like a by-product of the accident so report it to insurance companies.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

Prius Maximus likes this.
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It can also be the result of improper assembly. These days the glass is glued to the body so rubbing on the metal is unlikely.

If the hit was violent enough it can stress the windshield. It is part of the structures strength.

Ask your dealer though. If they can't find any chip marks from rocks etc. and it cracks this early it may have been faulty from the factory. That would be warranty.

4. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Update: There was a tiny hole when we ran the pen test and that indicates a rock hit the glass but the crack developed later due to excessive heat. Made a glass insurance claim and the glass company placed an order with Toyota and it would take them 2-4 weeks just to get the glass. This is totally insane! Not sure how I can drive around until then. Guess Toyota just has not planned enough or probably the first batch of windshields are not good enough.

5. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Our cars are too new for aftermarket windshields to be made for them. I'd think that Toyota would have some Gen 4 Prius crash parts available, but maybe not enough. 2 weeks would be the time if there were parts in Japan ready to ship. 4 weeks if they need to be made. Shipping time from Japan to the U.S. east coast is about 2 weeks by container ship to the west coast and train east where the container is unloaded. Add some sorting and truck time from the point the container is emptied to the destination.

6. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had a cracked windshield on my Gen3, i had a service appointment and was going to check, they (Toyota dealer) suggested to go with an aftermarket as those are way cheaper (~$250-300) vs Toyota ($1000), they even suggested they will arrange to have it done at their place through some aftermarket company ... not sure if you would want to check into that ...

7. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Update: It's been 4 weeks and no sign of windshield yet! Toyota does not have any idea of when it will be available so the Prius sits in the garage for now!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think there was another thread where somebody was waiting on a Gen 4 windshield. I do not think there are aftermarket ones for them and the Prime is newer and production limited.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So sorry to hear that. Hope it gets here soon for you.

10. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    YOu need to redo the radar calibration after the glass is replaced.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The radar is behind the front emblem but I think it takes several hours for the dealer to calibrate the camera that assists and is used in collision detection.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Every time I log onto the site, it seems like I see a another cracked windshield thread. This is depressing. I guess Prius owners need to have a second car in reserve!

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a Prime. It may have a different windshield but may be the same fragile material as Eco level and higher of the Gen 4 Liftback.

14. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Glad that this forum has this power! Other this mishap, how happy are you with your Prius Prime... is this the best car you ever owned?

Prius from Dad likes this.
  15. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have had a great experience so far driving it and getting 33+ miles on charge. But this windshield issue is driving me nuts. Safelite says its on a National Backorder meaning it could take between 1-3 months before Toyota fabricates/orders this part as they will wait to see if they get too many such orders and then determine if its feasible to ship it over.
    The crack now expands to over 70% of the windshield but Safelite says its still safe to drive as its only on the exterior. I have used up 20 days out of my 30 day rental car period from my insurance. Not sure how I should deal with this situation.

Any inputs to escalate this?

16. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my humble opinion, Toyota needs to do an expedited evaluation of this Prius windshield issue. And if need be, issue a nationwide recall. Don't wait until people start getting injured from cracked glass possibly becoming loose.

#16 CoastRider, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  17. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Updates: Spoke to Toyota National Line and expecting a call back in 2 days. Local dealer already has 3 orders lined up for cracked windshields but no ETA from Toyota. My advice to all Prime owners - make sure your windshield does not crack otherwise you are in for a long wait!

CoastRider likes this.
  18. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Another update: Toyota National says they have 700 back orders for Prime windshields from dealers across US. When asked if these are by actual Prime owners for replacement he had no answer. This definitely seems like a big problem with their sales averaging about 2000 cars per month.

Prius from Dad likes this.
  19. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That seems to be a big windshield need for a new car.

20. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Windshield on my four touring shattered on CA highway 24, shortly after reading posts about the issue here on Priuschat. See my posts on the gen 4 main forum.

YPizza likes this.