1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Windshield crack

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by devden, Jun 19, 2017.

1. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NHTSA has received numerous complaints about the G4 and Prime windshield cracking.

2. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Finally after a lot of back and forth, Toyota released around 30 windshields this week and I was fortunate that the glass shop immediately snagged one for me. Off to re calibration now. What a nightmare!

tucatz likes this.
  3. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm hopping mad about this! I've spent hours and hours and many miles getting my windshield fixed. I was lucky enough to get a genuine Toyota replacement glass from Japan. But now I'm afraid it's going to break again.

I say we call Toyota USA, demand they build a better windshield, and replace all 2016 and 2017 windshields with the safe and correct product. In other words, a recall.

And they must reimburse all owners for lost time and expense.

CoastRider likes this.
  4. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I still have a pending complaint with NHTSA and other agencies, will see what comes out of it.
    Out of curiosity, where did you get the recalibration done? My dealer kept the car for 2 days and now says he can't do it. It has to go to some workshop which has special capabilities to get it done. Bummer!

CoastRider and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We users here could really use some help from @Prius Team regarding the Prime & (higher trim?) 4th Gen windshield breakage & supply issues. There are too many to be just random defective parts!

Mark57 likes this.
  6. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Dublin Toyota. Big service center, excellent advisors, geared for routine maintenance. I've been going here for years. But they are expensive. My windshield replacement was anything but smooth. Thought I could grease the wheels by finding the glass replacement, file a claim with Toyota USA , and get a rental car. It got fixed but think I annoyed the service managers, confused everybody, and didn't save me any money. The recalibration bill alone was $900. (Insurance paid) I question if the recalibration is really necessary?

7. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Will have to call them up and check. Thanks!

Fremont Toyota tried calibrating it and gave up when they could not. And now I'm left with a car that has all alerts turned ON - LDA malfunction etc. Wonder why Toyota does not train them!

Just received my replacement green decals after the bumper repaint!

Lesson learnt: Dont change the bumper unless it starts hanging and dont change the windshield until you get pulled over!

Off to charging after 6 weeks.

tucatz likes this.
  8. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wow, a Toyota dealer couldn't do the recalibration? I would call headquarters +1-800-331-4331 to report it and insist they get you fixed. This is a safety issue on the new Prius prime.

And don't settle for damage to your brand new car. 2 months ago my windshield shattered. Repaired. Last week a parking lot hit and run caused $2300 to my Sea Glass Pearl. I am going to get her repaired.

#28 tucatz, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  9. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Too many reports of cracked windshields. There does seem to be some type of issue or flaw with the 2016 and 2017 Prius (all models).

I'm glad you guys are taking action, and reporting this to the various agencies. You might consider sending an email to a couple of the automotive websites, and see if they might do a story about it. Also write to Consumer Reports magazine.

If I ever start having any major problems with my Prius (especially any safety issues) I'm selling it and buying a big Chevy Silverado pick up! :D

Merkey likes this.
  10. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So do you guys think Toyota will ever acknowledge that there may be a flaw or problem with these windshields? How many will have to crack, before they take some action and do research.

I sure hope they didn't go cheap… And install some type of lesser quality or thinner glass in order to save money. And weight? I've been driving for 46 years, and I have never had a cracked windshield or even a chip in the glass! (Volkswagen, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Oldsmobile, Chevy.) Never had a problem in the past.

What the hell is going on with these new Prius???

11. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota North America just had the grand opening of their new HQ in Plano, Texas a couple weeks ago. Perhaps some of you who've had issues and filed complaints with NHTSA ought to see if you can take it up with corporate?

This seems to be a big problem that won't go away, as 4G windshields apparently are thinner than previous generations'. I'm hoping not to have personal experience, I've got HUD and I wouldn't want to be stuck with non-factory glass.

tucatz and CoastRider like this.
  12. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

I did take this up with corporate. They gave me a partial reimbursement of the replacement cost. However it was a big fat headache.

pilotgrrl and CoastRider like this.
  13. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You are lucky. I was promised compensation by the Operations Manager but no call back after that. No follow up whatsoever.
    There's also Bureau of Automotive Repair Jobs, in case anyone needs that.

Trying my luck at Toyota Palo Alto to get the calibration done. Will have to take a long ride to Dublin if they don't fix it.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  14. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You have to call and call and call and call.

Try Dublin Toyota for the recalibration. Now they know how to it.

15. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Looks like Palo Alto was able to do the calibration after all for under $500. I just hope all features of Safety Sense work now!

16. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like Toyota is not valuing Prius drivers. Personally, I would consider a class action to start a recall if they continue to be so obstinate.

17. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had to look that up... :eek:

Ob-sti-nate
    ˈäbstənət/
    adjective
    1. stubbornly refusing to change one's opinion or chosen course of action, despite attempts to persuade one to do so.
      synonyms: stubborn, unyielding, inflexible, unbending, intransigent, intractable, obdurate, mulish, bullheaded, stubborn as a mule, pigheaded, self-willed, strong-willed, headstrong, willful, contrary, perverse, recalcitrant, refractory,uncooperative, unmanageable, stiff-necked, rigid, uncompromising, implacable, unrelenting, immovable, unshakable.
      • (of an unwelcome phenomenon or situation) very difficult to change or overcome.
        "the obstinate problem of unemployment"

Every forum has so many "Prii" problems. Where are all the positive threads? o_O I think I'm getting closer to going back to driving an old beat-up pickup truck. No worries there. :LOL:

#37 CoastRider, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  18. devden

devden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm still positive on the car itself. It's a great car for what it packs in that little body. It's the dealers and supply chain constraints that get Toyota a bad name. There are 30+ dealers in the Bay Area within a radius of 50-60 miles but not everyone invests in after sales support and training for their staff.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  19. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love my 4G as much as I loved my 2G. However, Toyota does need to take care of us, if there is a defect in the windshield.

CoastRider likes this.
  20. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with you about the dealers. Some can be very incompetent. Many young guys acting as a "technician", and their only experience was a high school auto shop class, and a few online courses, or they used to work at a Buick dealer. :LOL: Those mechanics bounce around.

But there are a few dealers with a good service dept. However there always seems to be a pretty big turnover in mechanics and service advisors. I've been going to the same dealer for over 25 years, and the faces are always changing. The last two times I had oil changes, a 19 yr old young woman did the work. I watched her from a bench across from the service bay, and she did great work! How can she lift those heavy SUV wheels all day long? :) I'm seeing more and more females doing mechanical work.

Also, does anyone share the opinion that maybe the Toyota assembly line work has become a bit sloppy, or lesser quality? Especially in the areas where humans are installing the parts. (Speaking of parts, did Toyota go cheaper quality on their parts???) But in all fairness, many vehicle manufacturers have quality control issues at times. Probably some disgruntled workers, just like in any other occupation.

#40 CoastRider, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    tucatz and pilotgrrl like this.