1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Windshield crack

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by devden, Jun 19, 2017.

1. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Good news! Let us know the recalibration goes (Toyota dealer?) watch out for flying rocks and other **stuff**. Why do windshields crack?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. My case manager from Toyota Headquarter called me to make sure the glass is in. I guess he must have done something to expedite the process. I will update on how the re-calibration went.

3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to update on this thread. My Prime's windshield was replaced yesterday. I had total of 13 days waiting for the glass to arrive at the dealer. The glass installer subcontracted by the dealer told me the windshield cost is $600. They are going to claim through my insurance, so the installation cost will be added to that price tag. (Thank god I have zero deductible glass coverage.) The dealer did the re-calibration, it took 45 min, and they charged me $147 total. I had to pay that out of my pocket since the dealer will not file a claim to my insurance. I will have to get that cost reimbursed from my insurance company myself. All and all, it was not as bad as I thought. Still, two weeks of anxiety on a brand new car was not fun.

Bri-n-TX, luiset83 and bps like this.
  4. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you for updating us! I’m glad it’s mostly complete for you, but wow, you had to go through a lot.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. EarthPIG_0311

EarthPIG_0311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well it happened to me. Not a crack, thankfully, but a rock chipped my windshield today on my way to work. 2 small chips about 1/2 an inch apart. Made an appointment with Safelite to see if they'll be able to repair it. I sure hope so because I don't want to go through the process of replacing the windshield then re-calibrating. After reading this thread, it seems like a bigger PITA than normal and not something I want to deal with.

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear that. If they are just chipps and not located in your driving view, maybe OK without replacing entire windshield. I had done that to my other car before when I did not have zero deductible coverage, but I should point out that it was ugly. I hope the back order on the windshield part for this car has eased by now. If they have parts in stock and if you have good insurance, it may not be as bad as you think. Getting the parts was the hardest. Mine after getting the parts in, it took only 3 hours at a dealer for replacement and calibration at no cost to me, though I had to be reimbursed for the calibration cost from insurance for my dealer would not file insurance claim for me. Let us know how it goes with your case.

EarthPIG_0311 likes this.
  7. EarthPIG_0311

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the info. My insurance (Progressive) will cover the cost of the repair but if it's a replacement, I'd have to pay my deductible. Luckily it's on the passenger side, so I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to repair. My only concern is how close the chips are to each other. I'll see what happens and keep you posted.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My policy from Geico also had the same deal (free repair but deductible with replacement) when I had our first ever windshield crack on our other car. Then I look into how much it would cost to switch the policy to no deductible. It was just $30/year increase for three cars I had in my policy. I upgraded to no-deductible comprehensive, then the same car that had ugly repair done got another windshield crack about a year later, so I was able to replace it free. I was so glad I kept the no-deductible policy on my new Prime. You may want to look into upgrading your policy, since it seems PRIME is prone to windshield cracks. You might be surprised how little it cost to have far better coverage.

EarthPIG_0311 likes this.
  9. EarthPIG_0311

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So all in all, this was quick and painless. Nothing out of pocket and in/out in 20 min. Yes, it is still visible but not as obvious as before. But because I know it's there it will bother me:mad:. They said it won't spread or get bigger which in the end is what's important.

In regards to non-deductible glass replacement, that is not an option available to us in CA. From what the agent told me, in the event you have to replace the glass, you will have to pay your comprehensive deductible. So I guess the best we could do is choose the lowest deductible and see if it's worth it depending on the increase in price of the policy.

Mark57, tucatz and Salamander_King like this.
  10. Dook

Dook Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I did put a clearplex film on my windshield.

11. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was looking at clearplex. Could you tell me how much you paid for it? Did you have them cover the entire windshield, or cut a piece that didn't cover the sensors in your windshield (if you have sensors in your windshield)? If it covers the whole windshield, have you had any problems? Thanks!

12. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been watching this thread since before my vehicle was built in August. Since taking delivery in September and adding 7,000+ miles to it, I've experienced 4 cases of really hard rock hits to the left, right, and center of the windshield. These were big rocks, not little pebble sized stuff. I've had rocks break windshields in other vehicles before. Each time, I scoured the windshield looking for and expecting a chip, crack, etc. Nothing. The last was a couple of months ago and still nothing has shown up. I'm wondering if after the early rash of windshield crack problems, they may have made a mid production run change to the glass. Just wondering.

Note, I've used Rain-X from day one. I apply it to the entire surface, except I take great care not to cover any of the sensor/camera areas.

benagi and Insighter like this.
  13. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is good to know. Thank you for adding that. I wondered if they had corrected the problem. But do you think the RainX helps at all as far as rocks?

14. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I really don't see how it could. I think mass wins that battle.

Insighter and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. Dook

Dook Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid 600€ here in France. They covered all the Windshield, they didn't cut anything around the sensor. It works great.

Insighter likes this.