1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Fuel induction service?"

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dpbsmith4, Apr 12, 2018.

1. dpbsmith4

dpbsmith4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    2016 Prius, a bit over 2 years old, 21000 mile. The free service at the dealer has ended. This is the first major routine service (wheel alignment, cabin filters, etc). The service advisor called me to say the mechanic had recommended the "Fuel Induction Service." (The printout attached to my bill calls it out as "Red, needs immediate attention.") It involved cleaning fuel injectors, etc. He said the mechanic said something was "a little" dirty.

This service is not spelled out as routine maintenance in the owner's manual. The motor runs smoothly. There are no lights on the dashboard. The car passed the emissions check in inspection a couple of months ago. I can think of nothing out of the ordinary in how we drive it.

He didn't push.

Thoughts? How legit is this, and how often might one have it done "just to be sure?"

#1 dpbsmith4, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They're really just fishing for $'s, sad to have to deal with that. If there's other dealerships, maybe give them a try next time, see if they're any better.

Once in a long while you might clean the throttle body throat, a relatively easy DIY.

3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is a complete scam. All they will do is add an overpriced can of fuel injector cleaner to your gas tank!

douglasjre and KennyGS like this.
  4. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reminds me of my Plymouth Colt Vista about 20 years ago. The service “advisor” recommended automatic transmission service; it was actually a manual transmission. Wonder what they would have done if I had said to go ahead?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Time to find a new service center. "New England" is too vague to offer any advice which one.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I kind of doubt that, that's a bit too bald.

I think what they typically do is pop the hood and hook up a bottle with a tap and tubing, suspended from the hood latch (like an intravenous drip), then patch it in somewhere (somewhere in the intake manifold, not sure), start the engine, and gradually open the tap introducing "cleaner" into the airflow.

An impressive amount of smoke pours out of the back, and maybe your catalytic convert loses a "life".

These observations come from walking by our neighborhood Mr. Lube, watching them in action. I'm not sure how universal that method is, just what I've seen.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  7. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With that one, all they are trying to clean is your wallet! :eek:

douglasjre, KennyGS and FuelMiser like this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would believe the dealer had a valid concern at 150,000 miles.

9. dpbsmith4

dpbsmith4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Many thanks to all who replied.

10. Bperera90

Bperera90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all, so I have a 16 Prius model 2 with 90,000 miles a week an a half ago.Went to the dealership an just feel robbed, got the engine and inverter coolant flushed. The temp gauge flicked on for maybe 2 seconds last night an than turned off so that is new an I have never seen it turn in since I have had the vehicle.

What I am having trouble accepting right now is that also for the fuel injection and throttle body service done for 125$, complete rip-off. Car would easily get 50mpg, now it’s getting 49mpg an I am not happy at all. My driving pattern is consistent as well.

douglasjre likes this.
  11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent!
    You're exactly right!!

It's not routine maintenance...
    THAT means it's either a repair, or maintenance that's not called for in your warranty and maintenance guide, that most people never bother to read.

Your dealership is counting on this, and the "something that is a little dirty" is your dealership.

Sometimes, rarely, non-routine maintenance IS either necessary or prudent.
    One of the most frequent examples of this is transmission fluid replacement - which some people have done on these cars even though it's a 'lifetime" fluid.
    If you drive your car in an extraordinarily dusty environment, and/or or you never bother to replace your engine air filter then one might expect that some things in the throttle body might get a little dirty and require attention but almost never on a car that only has 21,000 miles on it.

Not only is the service department lying to you, it's not even a very GOOD lie.

It's time to change dealerships....and if this pattern continues you may want to consider seeing other car makers.

Good Luck!

12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the bill actually says "Fuel Induction Service" not "Fuel Injection Service", then they better be able to explain to you how the fuel is induced in your car. LOL

I never understood the difference between Fuel Induction Service vs. Fuel Injection Service, but here is an article to read, if you are interested. BTW, I probably would not want either done to my car without symptoms spelled out in the article below.
    Fuel Induction & Injection Service

#12 Salamander_King, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoops. I just realized that I responded to 3 years old comment by OP.

The thread was revived due to this comment.
    Yap, you were ripped off. I really would like to know what they really did for $125.