1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

G9510-47031 install questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Randy Castleman, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Randy Castleman

Randy Castleman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello everyone, first post here. Im a recently retired automotive tech. My daughter bought a nice 165,000 mile 08 Prius a few months ago. Yesterday, the dreaded ToD with codes PA080 and P3000 recently came up. I've cleaned the HV cooling fan (not very dirty) and checked for any loose or corroded grounds and connections, none found. I'm pretty sure the HV battery has failing modules. I'm looking at getting a new Toyota HV battery and installing it. I have looked thru as many threads as I could find on installing a new Toyota battery. I have all of the tools needed, including an inch. pound torque wrench. My question is, what parts does the new battery NOT come with that I will need to complete the installation correctly? Thanks in advance for all you help and advice.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whatever part the new battery doesn't come with, you take it from the old battery before returning the core (the ECU and Relays). The battery packs are split into 2, you just have to separate the ecu and relays and transfer them onto the new battery.

Looking at your location, a member just bought a new battery from crown Toyota in Ontario. He mentioned that place has the best online price for the battery. And I also have some dead modules if you want to keep some of your good modules in your battery pack. I can give you some old dead modules to return.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Randy Castleman

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the help JC91006. The price I got was from Crown Toyota online parts. I appreciate your offer on the dead modules, I will keep that in mind if I need them. Do you know the member who recently purchased the battery is? I would like to ask him a few questions. Thanks again for the help, have a great day.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Randy Castleman

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks again JC91006. After doing some more forum surfing on the subject, now I'm worried that if I buy the new HV battery, that the dealer could deny my core return if the previous owner has tampered with the modules. If they deny returning my core charge deposit, I'm screwed.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't read too much into those "tampered with module" comments. As long as they are original, the dealers will take them back. They go to the recycling bins, so they don't really need them to be any good

7. Randy Castleman

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    image0.jpeg Well, I pulled the old HV battery out and stripped it down to what I think is needed to return the core. Fortunately, the battery was original and had never been tampered with, I was pleased to see that. Is there anything else in the attached pics that I need to remove for a core return? Does anybody know the part numbers for he "one time use only" nuts? Mine are in really good shape but I will order new ones if necessary. It wasn't too hard of a job getting it apart, spent a lot of time checking for voltage at every stage of disassembly. Now to just order the battery and hope they don't refuse to sell it too me.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't live that far from Ontario, you can return the core any time. You don't have to do it the same day. Make sure all is working on the new battery, then return the core.

9. Randy Castleman

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks JC91006, my plan is to do just that. Was just trying to get everything off the old battery for cleaning and organizing. Batter has been ordered, now to just wait for picking it up. Thanks again for the help.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The battery will come in a huge case, 4 foot long. Make sure you have enough room in your car when you pick up the battery. You need to return the battery core in the same 4 foot case

11. Randy Castleman

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks JC91006. I will be picking up the new battery and returning my core in either my 03 GX470 or the wife's 05 Sequoia, it should fit in either one no problem.

nancytheprius likes this.
  12. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Congratulations on the new OEM battery. We can’t wait to see photos of the new battery and the exact steps of assembling the battery pack before it goes into the car. More specifically we would like to see what comes with the new battery and what exactly needs to be transferred with photos.

13. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This might be different for the gen2 pack. For the gen1 battery I needed to keep the temperature sensing harness with clips that runs along the top.

I also needed a nylon cable guide, (which the friendly parts department folks mailed back to me, since I neglected to remove it form the core before dropping it off).

upload_2021-12-11_15-14-23.png

2001 - 2003 Prius Battery Pack Nylon Cable Guide

#13 ammdb, Dec 11, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  14. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Attached Files:

#14 alftoy, Dec 11, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  15. Randy Castleman

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for all the help, just waiting for the battery to come in so I can begin the reassembly and then return my core.