1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Garage Fire Detection

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Marine Ray, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Realize that Prius fires are non heard of. However, garage fires in general can occur. Heat sensor or smoke detector? Both? How do you hear alarm if in far part of home? Frequency/cause of false alarms? Thx.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a sample wifi smoke detector that will notify your phone.
    Limited-time deal: X-Sense Wi-Fi Smoke Detector, Wireless Smart Fire Smoke Alarm with Replaceable Lithium Battery & Silence Button, Auto Self-Check Function, XS01-WT

Marine Ray likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can also have interconnected smoke detectors, in my house upstairs bedrooms, downstairs bedrooms and kitchen are interconnected.

Limited-time deal: First Alert SCO500B Wireless Interconnected Photoelectric Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Combo Alarm with Voice and Location

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There have been some.
    From a building code perspective, heat detectors are preferred in garages.

See NFPA 72-2016, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code, paragraph 29.8.3.4(1):

Smoke alarms and smoke detectors shall not be located within unfinished attics or garages or in other spaces where temperatures can fall below 40°F (4°C) or exceed 100°F (38°C).​

The explanatory annex (A.29.5.1) states:

The installation of smoke alarms in kitchens, attics (finished or unfinished), or garages is not normally recommended, because these locations occasionally experience conditions that can result in improper operation.​

The International Residential Code 2018 doesn’t require heat detectors in garages, but at least one state’s amended version does. See 2020 Residential Code of New York State, paragraph R314.2.3:

Heat detection rated for the ambient outdoor temperatures shall be installed in new garages that are attached to or located within new and existing dwellings.​

That’s fair enough, if the objective is life safety only—a heat detector would probably give enough warning that occupants could escape—but it may not do much for property protection. By the time a vehicle fire activates a ceiling-mounted heat detector, the vehicle itself might well be a total loss, with the building at serious risk.

To detect incipient fires, I might consider a smoke detector, in addition, especially if the garage doesn’t get too hot or cold, stores only newer cars with good emission controls, and isn‘t exposed to smoke, dust, particles, or steam from indoor or outdoor activities.
    As @JimboPalmer kindly mentioned, there are detectors with wired or wireless interconnections, which are required by current codes in many locations.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector in my garage. I added the CO rig when we got a car with pushbutton start.

Another safety feature I retrofitted: I put an automatic closer on the door going from the garage into the house. I understand this is in some building codes now.

Marine Ray likes this.
  6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Kidde Hardwire Interconnectable 135-Degree Heat Alarm HD135F

I did not find any battery powered, wireless interconnected heat detectors. This is A/C powered and wired interconnected. It can connect to smoke or carbon monoxide detectors in the house, so you are alerted.

Marine Ray likes this.