1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Bladder Capacity

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rcaine, May 31, 2018.

1. rcaine

rcaine Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We just had our new Prius Prime Advanced delivered yesterday morning from an out of town dealership (Primes are hard to find here in Georgia). We were promised a full tank of gas but it arrive off the truck with only five blips showing. On our first morning of driving the new baby around we stopped at Costco to top off before calling the dealership. At the pump it kept shutting off. After about five stops and starts I got about one more gallon in the tank and registered seven blips. I now know why it showed up with a partial tank.

I am an experienced Prius owner so I know about the variability of the fuel blatter and letting the gas line beath before filling. I still am very concerned about so few blips showing up from the very start. We haven't driven enough to start using the gas but I know we will need it shortly.

Does anyone have any insight on this and should I be concerned at this issue. TIA

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!
    there has not been a bladder since 2009. try a different gas pump. yes, others have had problems. there is at least one other thread on this if you can find it.

3. rcaine

rcaine Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Will try another pump. I am guessing that the dealership had the same problem when trying to fill it but I have not confirmed that yet. I did remove the hose and reinsert and very loosely so air can circulate. I'll contact the dealership shortly but they are several hundred miles away. Still, we are still on warranty.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We had similar gas pump problem on my PRIME, but only once in last 10 month out of 14 pumping. At that time, my wife was driving the car out of town. It was mid winter and temperature was sub zero. My wife told me, the car was almost empty and stopped at gas station to fill-up but the pump kept stopping on her. She managed to pump only ~1 gal at that station. After driving ~100 miles and reaching near home, the car was showing empty signal, so she stopped at another gas station. This time, she had no problem filling up the tank with ~10 gal. We attributed the problem with pump at the first station, but' there were some others who had similar problem in very cold weather. Yours was first I read happening in warm weather.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just in case this issue pops up on additional car models --

My other vehicle (2014 Forester, not a Prius) sometimes suffers fuel gauging problems when I put the car in accessory mode to read and reset trips meters and Scangauge and any other paperwork during fueling. The Forester's fuel gauge will not show Full even when the tank really is full, but its bars can stop anywhere in between half and full. This problem doesn't resolve until I burn the tank down below the displayed level, or refuel again with the electronics powered down the whole time.

I've never witnessed this on my Gen3 Prius, but then it refills quicker :D, so I'm less likely to multi-task during that time.

6. rcaine

rcaine Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just a quick update. After about two hundred miles driving, mostly battery and several weeks time, we were able to top off the tank to a full ten blips. So for now the problem is solved for the next six months maybe.

bisco and Salamander_King like this.
  7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2017 Prime has only 8 blips. ?????

I think Iv been cheated out of two blips!

#7 Andyprius1, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2018
    Salamander_King likes this.
  8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bitter banter about blips in the bladder is fodder that makes bitter batter smooth as butter!

rcaine, Mark57 and Andyprius1 like this.
  9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It ain’t the eavy unting that urts the orses ooves, it’s the ammer, ammer, ammer on the ard, ard ighway.

rcaine likes this.
  10. rcaine

rcaine Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had not noticed the change from 10 blips to 8. 4 blips when delivered new (50%)) Second attempt to fill took it to 6 (out of 8) blips. I'm stuck in town cat sitting for neighbors til July so it will be after that date before we can hit the open road and run it enough to see if really will take some gas.