1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gauging potential for 11.6in multimedia class action suite

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Dmitriy Sokol, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Dmitriy Sokol

Dmitriy Sokol Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am getting pretty sick and tired of my multimedia screen randomly shutting down and restarting when I change a radio station, turn on lights, turn volume down or seemingly without any other reason. It's frustrating and dangerous when I am on a highway and my nav goes dark and won't allow me to reenter info unless I pull over. On top of it, my Pandora app doesn't work half the time, iPhone randomly disconnects or track info doesn't display on the screen. Toyota hasn't done anything to address the issues that many of us seem to be having. My point is that the system doesn't work as promised and I am wondering what's the reasonable amount of time the company should be afforded before we do something about it?

2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dmitriy Sokol, I understand your frustration, but get ready for some of the priuschatters to claim there's nothing wrong with mine so you must be doing something wrong. As what happened to me when ICE licked in for no apparent reason (the reason was my car is outside in the cold and not in a heated garage or in South Carolina.) Priuschatters can be so insensitive. By the way mine works fine (the multimedia screen) but I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. Dmitriy Sokol

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am not worried about opinions, as much. I am not a sensitive type :) I am more interested in finding out how many of us actually have those issues and what may be causing them.

4. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    really????? from your post you sound pretty pissed.

5. Dmitriy Sokol

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I guess it's hard to relay an emotional state over a post. I am annoyed with unstable nature of what should be an advanced multimedia system.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the situation is not being handled correctly by someone.
    Is there background in some other thread? Did you call Toyota USA?
    You are saying serious safety issue, so you need to nicely but assertively tell Toyota USA this is unacceptable you need replacement car or fix. Check the owners manual for wording settling warranty claim disputes, gives some procedures.

It's a little like the Gen2 HID headlight issues back in 2006 or so, it took Toyota a while to sort out the issue. Thankfully our car was not HID. I also note the Prius v is getting some dings in Consumer Reports for electronics in 2015 1016.

#6 wjtracy, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looking into a suite, rather than pushing an update, is a terrible approach.

Don't you just want it to work with your iPhone and interact better?

What have you done so far?

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a Prius v thread where they were having head unit issues in 2015 and early 2016.
    I did not have a chance to read all the posts but you can see they had head units problems and I presume if we keep reading we can see the outcomes and approaches.

Prius v (lowercase v) Touch Screen | PriusChat

I've been curious about it as I am starting to consider a v.
    EDIT: Looks like in the v case, they resolved the issue but it took a little while for (1) Toyota to realize a problem and (2) even longer to have new head units manufactured without the glitch. If there is a systemic problem, then the engineers have to work out a solution which may be complex and require some time.

#8 wjtracy, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The Prius has not been perfect and in December 2009 there was a "brake pause" problem:
    Let me suggest these are intermittent failure modes:
    • multimedia screen restart
    • Pandora app (in car or cell?)
    • iPhone disconnect
    I would recommend first survey those with the multimedia screen restart to see if it occurs with just early ones. Ask folks to report enough of the VIN to identify when each car and which factory they were made.

Publish a method to replicate the problem. Once you have a way to make it fail every time, it moves from an intermittent to a well documented failure. Better still, publish a YouTube showing how to replicate the failure. Make sure this is shared with your local, Toyota service department.

This last step is critical because after a fix or repair, use the method to verify it is fixed.

Bob Wilson

10. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What percentage of owner's do you think are having this problem?

11. Dmitriy Sokol

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's what I am trying to find out.

iPhone ?

12. Dmitriy Sokol

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bob,
    I appreciate the advice, but I detest the idea of volunteering as a Toyota product tester, while making payments on said product. I have job that precludes me from hanging out at a Toyota dealer while they tear my car apart trying to figure out what's wrong. I am pretty sure that what's wrong is a beta product being introduced to the market as a fully developed and tested version. The Toyota's R&D budget is clearly spent on mechanical engineering and everything else is an afterthought.
    Call me crazy, but I expect basic features to work. Just work as intended. That's all.

iPhone ?

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  13. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My Prime Advanced media screen and phone interface work perfectly, but I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone. Maybe you should try a friend's S7 to see if that has a problem with your car.
    By all means contact the dealership where you purchase the car period I would contact the service manager if you're having a lot of troubles. As a last resort, contact the dealer principal. These people should be able to help you. A lawsuit is a joke: all that does is serve some lawyer and somebody that wants to make a ton of money. It doesn't help the situation about making the car a better car. At some point, you can also contact the Toyota corporate headquarters. Those people also try very hard to make you a happy customer. Remember, in the car business reputation is extremely important!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

GT4Prius and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  14. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hopefully, the dealership can probably give you a loaner car while your car is being worked on so you're not inconvenienced. I would certainly ask for this.

15. Dmitriy Sokol

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A suit is obviously a last resort scenario and my intent here is to find out how many of us have these issues. I will address them with a dealer at my 5k service. I really don't have time to deal with superfluous, although frustrating issues outside of the regularly scheduled maintenance intervals.

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps start with a dashcam or GoPro to capture and document the problem. A lawyer would ask for evidence.

I understand 'buyers remorse' and if you want to get out of your car, Hyundai dealers are ready and now able to offer some relief. Malcom X once said you are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

With rare exception, when I've fired my employer, I choose to be part of the solution.

Bob Wilson

17. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    "
    Gauging potential for 11.6in multimedia class action suite"

is inflammatory and/or click bait. I'm not interested in either and will certainly not join in or encourage your behavior.

#17 EV-ish, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  18. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What class? Mine works fine. If yours doesn't work, you need new hardware exchanged under the warranty.

19. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have 2 Prius Prime Advenced with all other options and have never discovered this type of issues....I have tested with
    LG V20
    SAMSUNG NOTE 4
    SAMSUNG EDGE 7
    LG G5
    And all are Android operating system
    My advice is to try Android phone
    Rotten Apple are not what they use to be ....
    I have nothing but pleasure with system on my car and my Lady car....
    Record...document and have your Dealership replace your unit if it malfunctioning...
    Keeping your Apple phone plugged using front usb and Bluetooth at same time are already discussed and have been in owners manual
    Post the video .....and see if you are using at same time USB and Bluetooth.....that will make all types of problems.....
    There is a way to use this but you need to set on your phone for USB to be used as charge point and not as default media point with trickle charging

20. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Indeed. But you seem to be operating under the assumption that it is widespread. I haven't seen any problems with mine other than those I caused by not understanding how to operate it (which I do believe Toyota should make easier). Judging by the posts here it is not.

Here's a couple of things I discovered. I too had the screen darken the first time I drove into a heavy shaded area. There is a switch that can control that.

I thought the screen was constantly rebooting, but then I realized that my pinky finger was touching the "audio" button, which if you hold for a couple of seconds does force a reboot.

Kramah313 and priuscatprimeguy like this.