1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Noise and Comfort level

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by VicD, Jan 27, 2016.

1. kitkit201

kitkit201 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So this makes me wonder if I got Eco tires on my 4 by accident or what. Let me create a Google Doc and have people fill in their detail so we can get some data and see where this is going..

2. kitkit201

kitkit201 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not the only one that thinks this way! It kinda surprised me how loud they were.. i guess i'll get use to it...

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  3. kitkit201

kitkit201 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay I created a Google Doc, so people can add their data points. I've already added those that commented in this thread already.

Maxwell61 and krmcg like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! but should it be a new thread, or sticky?

kitkit201 likes this.
  5. BigFan

BigFan Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The "unknown" Eco owner with the Ecopia tires is "fsu23phd".

fsu23phd likes this.
  6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I drove my 2004 to the dealer, test drove a 2016 (Three - 15" wheels) and test drove a 2015 back-to-back, all on the same roads. 2004 and 2015 were so similar I couldn't pick a winner. 2016 was massively better. Somewhat quieter as far as road noise goes, way less body roll, way, way, way less harsh over bumps. In fact, I was driving the 2016 on a particular road that was pretty smooth and I asked the salesman if he knew of a road that had some poor surface so I could test it. Later, I was on that same road (the smooth one) in the 2015 and it turns out it wasn't smooth at all. In fact, it had tons of cracks. I just didn't notice them in the 2016 but they were harsh in the 2015.

civicdriver06, kitkit201 and bisco like this.
  7. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The comment about stiffness reminds me that the 2 ECO tires should have been recommended for a higher pressure by Toyota. And the recommended pressure is usually shown on the owner manual. So i would suggest to double check or scan what the owner manual says about tires and tire pressure and if some tire brand/model is indicated.
    And if owners finds that their tires are stiff or uncomfortable, to double check the pressure and report (and lower it if they wish).

I don't remember if Wayne of CleanMPG specified which tire model/brand he had on the ECO succesfully tested hypermiling it (and showing better results than the non-ECO trim). If it did'nt metioned it, i do suggest to members that have an account on CleanMPG to ask him.

At the end, if Wayne's 2 ECO was fitted with the Toyo or Bridgestone, at the least the Dunlop Enasaver could be ruled out as the primary reason of the extra MPG of the Eco.

8. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm getting mine on Monday night, and will report in. I'm not sure how many would be willing to participate - but maybe it would be helpful to those considering buying if we also post sticker price and negotiated price...??

bisco and civicdriver06 like this.
  9. BigFan

BigFan Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe the site admins prefer pricing talk to be in the PriusChat Marketplace. Consider using the thread below.

2016 Gen 4 Prius lift back Dealer Pricing | PriusChat

10. VicD

VicD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Back to he thread, it's about comfort and noise level, thanks

iPhone ?

11. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Howdy. I have a 2010, which I bought new in 2010, and a 2016 (Two Eco), which I bought about 2 weeks ago. I also have a 2005, which I bought new back in the day.

The 2016 handles better than both the 2005 and 2010. I also notice quite specifically that bumps which I felt in the 2010/2005 are almost a non-issue in the 2016. Part of this could be because the car is new, but I notice it. Indeed, driving over a brick paved road was a nightmare in the older cars, but is far better in the 2016.

I do notice less noise, both in the city and on the HWY, but not substantially less.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Coast Cruiser, bisco and krmcg like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and that's with the ultra low rolling resistance tyres and higher pressures.(y)

13. kitkit201

kitkit201 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah you feel less of the road discomfort. It was very sedan like if that' makes sense. I love the new TNGA platform and it's a significant difference from the 3rd gen. Tire noise wise, I think it's quieter now with the Toyo. It's probably just me adjusting to the noise, but it's very reasonable and I am noise sensitive

14. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Based on the posts, sound like not an obvious improvement road noise wise. The tires do have a major role but what I'm trying to distinguish is sound dampening between the Gen 3 and 4. It obvious gen 3 has minimal sound dampening. I just added some sound dampening material in my Gen 3 and wow what a difference. Looking at all the bare sheet metal, it's obvious why it's sounds like a tin can over certain roads. I can distinguish between road and tire noise now after . Weight wise, I used 2 rolls which is about 7-8 lbs. Seems like a easy way to improve a the Prius but was missed?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it seems subjective, which i guess isn't obvious. but most reviewers found it substantially quieter.

16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's what I'd say from my test drive.

Road noise is definitely reduced.
    However, it's not reduced as much as engine noise is reduced.
    And it's not reduced as much as harshness over bumps is reduced.
    And it's not reduced as much as body roll is reduced.

So, it's better, just not as much better as everything else.

Mister MMT likes this.
  17. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Got it.. basically reduction of road noise hasn't improved as much as the other areas.

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Less engine noise is partially due to better sound proofing as well.

As to the tires, in Europe especially Toyota will sell these tires over their dealer network if they are not available otherwise, but I assume that Bridgestone at least will have them locally as well.

Also, Toyota does not use aftermarket wheels on their factory vehicles, unless it is some sport model. They are produced usually at some Toyota owned affiliate no matter how they look.

19. rtn

rtn Junior Member

Have a 2010. Interested in this. What material did you use and where did you put it?

20. 3adults3bikes

3adults3bikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive a 2010, and just test drove a 2016 Two, thinking hard about buying one. After reading all those reviews saying how much quieter the 2016 is, I was a little shocked - I didn't find the engine noise any quieter on acceleration - in fact, it seemed a bit louder, if anything. One test drive only, but still. I re-drove the same route in my 2010, and that impression seemed confirmed.

Then I read in a couple of reviews that the higher end 2016's have more sound-blocking materials and measures. One specifically said that the Fours have more, and another mentioned the Four Touring. Is that so? Do the Threes have more, and the Three Touring? Where are specs that really tell the story on this? This is a big deal to me - road trips, and listening to music and such on the trips, are a big part of what I want to use the car for. I've never enjoyed listening to music much in my 2010, there's just a little too much wind and road and engine noise to make it enjoyable.

Coast Cruiser likes this.