1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GEN II Prius P3030 & P0A1F

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tabi, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Tabi

Tabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! First time poster, first Prius owner and car-owner. Just bought this car about a month ago.

I scanned my 2006 Prius Hybrid today after a bunch of things happened all at once:

Prius would only go into PARK and NEUTRAL, but not drive or reverse.
    Got the red triangle of death, tire pressure (which had always been there), TRAC OFF, ABS, CEL, and another one that’s a circle with a ! in it. All lights are orange and unblinking except for the tire pressure, which blinks, and the red triangle of death. The car makes no funny noises, but the AC also stopped blowing cold air the same time all these lights popped up.

Because I’m car dumb, I got my uncle to help read the codes: P3030 & P0A1F. I contacted a repair service which specializes in hybrids but I’m wondering if there’s anything that I can do before dropping hundreds or maybe even thousands on a car that I just bought.

Thanks for any advice!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    test your 12v to make sure you're getting the correct codes

3. Tabi

Tabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! Alright, will do. I did the system check with the display and it said 11.8V. Might I need to get a new one?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is definitely borderline. any idea how old it is?

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with bisco that this is not a great voltage, but I wouldn't rush out to buy a new battery in the hope it will fix everything. But for sure, put that battery on a charger and monitor whether it can hold the voltage in the upper 12 V range.

The codes you quoted in your first post point to problems in the HV battery, might not be serious, but needs to be looked into. FWIW, the state of your 12 V battery has not much to do with these codes.

6. Tabi

Tabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I was hoping it’d be the 12v, but at least I know what it is. I’m guessing I shouldn’t rush into buying a brand new HV battery either and should just take it into a hybrid repair shop then?

Thanks for the help!

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Our advanced search feature is working, and with a little time and reading you (or anyone) will likely find an answer to any question.
    Would've thought a failed Inverter coolant pump, but you didn't report DTC P0A93. You could easily check and confirm though.
    Given your locale and the above DTCs it could be a condensation and corrosion problem.

You will need to access the HV battery, then find the ECU on the drivers side (picture below) and inspect the connector and pins.

You might find it looks something like this : Gen II codes P01AF P3030 P3056 | Page 2 | PriusChat

[​IMG]

Please report back to this thread with what you see/find.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Tabi

Tabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn! This all just suddenly happened after a huge storm. I left the car out in street parking. Maybe it is condensation then? Right now, I’m a little scared to open up the HV and check things out since this is my very first car, but I’ll definitely read around here and do tons of research.

Thanks!

SFO likes this.