1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Fix for Reverse Beeps?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CAR4TWO, Jun 20, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The issue I have with that is that it's the same beeper that notifies when warning lights appear on the dash. I'd hate to not notice a warning light or low fuel condition because I disconnected the beeper for other reasons ;)

2. ratedK

ratedK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can confirm that this method works on the 2010 Gen III Prius. Since I already had an ELM327, I just had to download the free app. Originally posted by Gary P

Turn off the damn backup beep | PriusChat

Re: Turn off the dern backup beep

After hours of reading and multiple false starts I was able to disable the Reverse beep using my Android phone! Ha!

Using one of the ELM-327 knockoffs from Amazon.com(2 day free Prime shipping) and 'ELM 327 Terminal' from the android store, it
    was a 2 minute job (that took me 20 hours to figure out).

I did all this with the 'Ready' light on and the doors all closed. Not sure if that is needed, but just in case you can't reproduce my results.
    After the terminal program is all connected I just typed the following commands into the little white box on the bottom left of the
    terminal program (not clear that this is where you are supposed to type and not very big, but it works).

Turn 'Timer' (right side of screen above 'clear') off (or commands repeat over and over again).

Commands:
    AT SH 7c0 (hit 'Send')
    Returns: OK

21ac (hit 'Send')
    Returns: 61 AC 00 (meaning continuous beep)

3bac40 (hit 'Send')
    Returns: 7F 3B 78 (no idea :)
    Returns: 7BAC (meaning done)

21ac (hit 'Send')
    Returns: 61 AC 40 (meaning now single beep)

I then popped the car into 'Reverse' and joy! joy! only 1 beep.

I didn't have to hit 'Send' as instructed. As commands were being typed in, returns were instantaneous.

bdstrunk likes this.
  3. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I disabled the reverse beep and the seat belt beep with a ScanGauge II and some documentation on the internet. You can program the SGII to send the correct codes to the car. I think the information is available on this forum if you search hard enough.

Edit: Here are the codes for the ScanGaugeII:

(The SGII manual explains how to enter these as custom gauges.)

Seat Belt Beep Disable: (turns off seat belt alarm after 5 seconds.)

TXD: 07C03BA700
    RXF: 047B15A70000
    RXD: 2008
    MTH: 000100010000
    NAM: SBS

Should return A7

Reverse Beep Disable: (beeps only once.)

TXD: 07C03BAC40
    RXF: 047B15AC0000
    RXD: 2008
    MTH: 000100010000
    NAM: RBS

Should return AC

The SGII isn't cheap, but I already had one from my previous car, so it didn't cost me any more.

#83 co_prius_3, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  4. sopclod

sopclod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't read this entire thread but I used the carista app + generic bluetooth OBDII dongle and it worked fine, was very easy.

5. learnmedia

learnmedia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone able to do this with an iPhone/iOS app and wifi elm327 adapter/dongle?

robertk328 likes this.
  6. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was wondering the same thing (iOS options).

learnmedia likes this.
  7. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Every dealership I've called (5 different ones total) have told me there is a federal mandate and they can not turn off the seatbelt beep. Wth?

8. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My friends in Vegas got the same reply from their dealership about that and the reverse beep on their v. When I was down there, I printed out the pages from the owner's manual and highlighted what they wanted changed. I then matter-of-factly and very politely explained to the service advisor that I would like a technician to make the modifications I have highlighted out of the manual and I believed that Toyota would pay for this service once with purchase - something they had not yet done.

It was all completed within 30 minutes (I did have an appointment). When I originally set the appointment (and when I came in), I referred to the procedure as "customizations".

9. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For legal reasons, the dealership might not be allowed to do it/won't risk it.

Also, turning "off" and "changing to one beep" are different things. Be careful what you are asking for.

10. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am trying to use the ELM327 Terminal however when connected to BT the Keyboard blocks the controls and then the app reports an error and has to restart. Anyone else have this issue with Andorid 4.4.4 ?

11. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I finally got this to work with my older OBDII dongle and ELM327 Terminal app. Since Torque starts right up, I didn't know I had to "connect" ELM to the dongle. Like I said somewhere, the beep didn't really bother me all that much, except when I'm in "R" and have to wait for someone to pass by. My wife kind of likes to be reminded that she's in "R" though, so I might turn it back on. You know, happy wife and all that. :)

12. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I used a friends older android phone and got this to work too.