1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III shifter teardown and examination...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mike500, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Since I got my Prius"v," I have been fascinated with the design and function of the Prius shifter, which has remained basically the same since its introduction with the Gen II in 2004.

I chose the Gen III shifter, because the one for the "v," although similar is rarer and harder to find and purchase in the wrecking yard. They are, however, basically the same in design.

Basically, the shifter is designed to act like a mechanical shifter. It is overcomplicated and really unnecessary, given the development of the aftermarked push button electronic shifter like Tom's or the OGS.

The mechanical part of the shifter is bulky, complicated and is expensive to make with many parts and a lit of hand assembly needed.

The sensors are Hall Effect using magnets as actuators; one with a sliding magnet to go out of Neutral to the Drive or Reverse position which is actuated by the round Hall Effect rotary sensor.

In the Neutral position, the right-left Hall Effect sensor will allow actuating the Brake mode drive through the rotary sensor.

Just by using switches like the aftermarket sensors, nearly all the bulk and complication of the mechanicals and shifter lever can be eliminated.

I doubt if the DOT Regulations would allow the OGS or Tom's electronic shifter button layout.

A more regulatory compliant design would be putting the N, B, D and R buttons in the standard lower case "h" pattern currently used. A "h" shaped ridge would "steer" the finger to the anticipated button to avoid pushing the wrong one.

My findings and thoughts. It would be nice to find it in the Gen IV.

Attached Files:

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced the shifter in my '04 Prius last year with a $65 used part from the nice folks at autobeyours.com. My impression of the defect was that a piece of plastic had warped. I think I could have just cut off a sliver but I was too lazy to reinstall to verify that it worked.

3. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Simple LED-TX/RX sensors (like computer 'mice' use) in each end-point of the common three-speed " H " pattern would be cheaper and more intuitive for American drivers:

*H = Reverse​
    H* = Drive​
    H. = Brake, or Low​
    .H = Park​

with the center " - " being NEUTRAL

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If they really want to go high tech, they could even put it on a touch screen on the main display.

5. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    double post... grrr.

Mike500 likes this.
  6. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree that the OEM GenIII shifter is an over-engineered, oversize design, as the Stage 10, OGS and other button shifters demonstrate. One year after swapping out the OEM shifter for a Stage 10 shifter I cut off the big plastic bulge under the flying bridge, pop-riveted the resulting hole shut with some rigid plastic, and gained better storage and reach-in space down there.

Pix are in this thread: Light & more Space under the Flying Bridge | PriusChat

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's been ten years, since the shifter was designed.

I guess Toyota intended to comfort those going to a Prius from a conventional car, by not making the transition too radical.

It's time for Toyota to move on. Still, most cars use a mechanical shifter. That will definitely change in the future.

GM, experience with ignition-start switches will mean that the NHTSA will mandate POSITIVE "ON" locks for the airbags, steering and brakes, while making the START-STOP buttons separate.

If GM only repositioned the ON position so that the SLOTTED key ring portion with the weight of the key chain would hold the ON position with gravity, they would NOT have had the problem.

8. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The proverbial "could have, would have, should have..." syndrome.

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The most valuable lessons are learned from mistakes, NOT successes.

Unfortunately, a disaster or an accident often leads to regulations and improvement that benefit ALL.

The tragedy of Flight MH370 will lead to better flight data recorders and tracking.

acceleraptor likes this.
  10. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    These have been referred to as "Titanic" impacts.

11. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...or, more sadly/graphically as "Tombstone-mentality" events.

12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here are some additional photos of the teardown.

The Gen III ( and "v") x-x board and lever for the magnet used in the Hall Effect sensor has been re-engineered with a new smaller IC. The board is now held on with one screw.

The y-y rotary sensor remains the for both Generations. The part number are identical.

Attached Files:

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here are some additional photos of the teardown.

The Gen III ( and "v") x-x board and lever for the magnet used in the Hall Effect sensor has been re-engineered with a new smaller IC. The board is now held on with one screw.

The y-y rotary sensor remains the for both Generations. The part number are identical.