1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 Prius: Custom PIDs for Torque (Android App) with formulas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by usbseawolf2000, Jun 24, 2011.

1. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same scanner and have experienced many triangles. You must set the protocol to ISO 15765-4 CAN 11bit 500k baud. Auto protocol detect will code the Prius. Its a good scanner, but its faster than the China clones. I think it thrashes the CAN with it's auto detect routine.

Read more: I scanned my Prius to death /!\ | PriusChat
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

2. morglum

morglum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I will give it a try tonight. Also, most gauges work, but for some reason the hybrid-related ones (such as HV Battery current) don't. Do you have the same issue? Maybe it's a protocol thing that will fix itself.

3. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I can't get MPG to work, but everything else seems OK. Haven't had a lot of time to work on it.

4. xtrmbkr

xtrmbkr New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there a version of the extended PIDs for the Gen I prius?

5. jklhill

jklhill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks usbseawolf2000 for the .csv file and installation instructions. Very nice.

6. daniel boro

daniel boro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i had a look at the formulas and some of them looks weird
    it look like all return values that are bigger then 256 use 2 vars for 256*A+B
    but in the formulas instead if using this allwas, in some places thay wer divided (/) by a number
    like in MG2 Torque (lbs-ft) using ((32 * C) + (0.125 * D) - 500) * 0.7376 instead of (256*C+D - 4000) * 0.0922

if all var`s are bytes (0-255) then some formulas dont make sens
    like WIN HV Batt to Converter using U - 40800
    U and V are almost an integer (256*U+V)

any info on this things?
    p.s.
    my next task will be to real all this tread, i only read 7 pages so far

#546 daniel boro, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  7. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Expanding on Daniel Boro's request, is there any comprehensive information out there that explains how to write these PIDs?

8. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Is there any problem leaving the ELM327 v2.1 plugged into the vehicle all the time? I noticed a red LED on when the vehicle is turned off.

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    OBDLink has power saving features and I have two of them semi-permanently installed without any problem so far. No sure about other "generic" ELMs.

10. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am new to Torque Pro. My issue is with customization, such as vehicle profile, custom dashboard layout, and previously added predefined Prius II specific PIDs. All of these settings do not stick around very long on my phone. Every couple days, the program will go back to its default state with all customization lost. Please help.

11. Connor Smith

Connor Smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anybody used the LELink Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter (instead of the ELM 327 WiFi Adapter) with their iPhone and EngineLink?

If so, how does LELink perform, say when compared to a Mini VCI cable with Techstream?

Another question -- you don't have to have a jailbroken iPhone to use LELink, correct?

12. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the work that has gone into working out the custom PIDs, much appreciated.

I bought a "Response" OBD II Bluetooth from Jaycar today and paired it with my Android phone. I installed Torque Pro and then (with some difficulties) managed to drop the entire custom PID file into the hidden .torque/extendedpids directory.

I have not been able to test if it actually works, due to lack of a NHW20 (Gen2) Prius. I used my NHW10 (Gen0) to power up the OBD reader, but it cannot connect to the ECUs (that is to be expected).

I have a question about how many "Realtime Information" items I can add before it will cause problems. Or do all the custom PIDs get polled all the time anyway?
    Overall, I selected 60 items to be shown in the "Realtime Information" screens, is that too much?

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Only the selected items get polled. Quantity depends on how fast your phone/tablet and your OBDII adapter is.

My Kiwi BT can do 10-15 at decent refresh rate. Remember, some of the complex equations polls multiple PIDs to calculate.

14. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Can someone tell me if there is any difference between the "USBSeawolf2000 Gen2 Prius 1-11-12 (US).csv" and the Google Spreadsheet "2004-2009 Prius Custom PIDs for Torque (Android App)"?

Is one more up to date??

15. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Torque app works brilliantly together with the custom PIDs in the first post of this thread.

I connected the OBD2 reader to the Prius I was checking out and it connected without a hitch. It found no error codes, but took maybe 30s to scan for them, including gradually counting up to 100% complete. The car is in good nick, everything works, there probably are no error codes.

Using a Sony Xperia 3 compact (and the above mentioned OBD2 thingy from Jaycar electronics) seems to result in good enough refresh rates. As far as I can see, the displayed data is always up to date with no perceivable lag. I am monitoring a whole bunch of other PIDs on other Torque 'Dashboard Screens' at the same time as the ones shown below.
    Have a look at the screenshots below, it looks like the battery is in good nick, no imbalance under hard acceleration or regen braking. I combined these PIDs onto one screen so I can log them all at one with a screenshot.
    Screenshot_2015-05-22-14-38-54-800x800.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-22-14-27-54-800x800.png

Attached Files:

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  16. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the GPS speed is lagging behind in the screenshots above, but that is probably not due to the Torque app.

17. daniel boro

daniel boro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the Google Spreadsheet is better
    it has diffrent names and the turque app googleDOC plugin is looking for the names as in the Google Spreadsheet not the seawolf file

gdanner likes this.
  18. geekwithoutacause

geekwithoutacause Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does use some power. It's fine for a few days but when I am gone longer I pull the adapter.
    Btw; is the 2.1 working ok for you ? There seems to be all kinds of issues w the versions above 1.5

19. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Mine was advertised as a v2.1 but in reality it's a 1.5.. I guess I'm lucky it was.

20. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone tried this with a kindle fire HD? I have an edge monitoring system, but it is nowhere near as sophisticated.