1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen2 Prius: Custom PIDs for Torque (Android App) with formulas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by usbseawolf2000, Jun 24, 2011.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  2. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone know the wheel speed sensor PID's? I just got a new wheel speed sensor after a wheel bearing replacement and something still isn't right.

3. Keyslammer

Keyslammer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2008 gen II with 170k miles
    OBDLink LX, Android phone with Torque (generic...no custom PIDs yet)

I just received the christmas tree warning lights in my office parking lot. I'd just finished my 20 mile commute with no problem. Powered off the Prius to drop off a package, then powered up and pressed the eV mode button...after moving the vehicle 200 feet in eV mode (I've added this feature) the vehicle died as I selected Reverse. I had been hardly moving through the parking lot and was just preparing to back into a spot when this happened...I can't recall if it was at the same moment I had selected Reverse...but it was close. After power cycling the vehicle a few times (engine kicked in, warning lights still on) I backed into the slot and retrieved the DTC codes. Note: The previous day I'd added an OBDLink LX to the vehicle and have been running the Torque app on an Android phone providing diagnostic information. The DTC codes I retrieved were: P0A1D, U0100, U0111 and U0293. I proceeded to clear the codes with the app and power cycled the vehicle again (no warning lights this time), and put it into reverse and waited for the engine to kick in (still no warning lights).

Is it possible that the bluetooth dongle or eV Mode operation could be messing with the ECU? Should I unplug the dongle after every trip (I normally have it in "read only" except when I cleared the codes). I've read about others that have suffered a "relay failure" under the fuse box in the engine compartment and seen the U0100 fault code.

Any other users experience this anomoly? The drive home will have some pucker factor, as I deeply dislike being stranded on the freeway.

4. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same dongle with Torque. Other ODB scanners including insurance snoops can also create CAN bus anomalies. See I scanned my Prius to death /!\ | PriusChat.
    Answer provided by Prius_Cub.
    Sounds like Torque on your tablet is setup to auto-detect the protocol. You should set it under the vehicle profile to use ISO 15765-4 CAN 11bit 500k baud.

Keyslammer likes this.
  5. Keyslammer

Keyslammer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am using auto-detect (newbie to this interface...working through the kinks...so Excellent feedback...I will update the vehicle profile before I use this again. Why? Scary badness happened on the way to work this morning:

Update:
    I had no problems driving home. HOWEVER, on the way in to work I stopped for an errand...still had the OBDLink LX installed and was monitoring the system with the Torque app. I'd left the app running on the phone...but shut down the car for about 15min. Then in the process of driving the last mile to work I noticed that the Torque App appeared to not be communicating with the OBDII device (or wasn't communicating with the ECU since it was not showing any RPM. So I shut down the Android since I was just a few blocks from work, no big deal, right?. 15 seconds after the phone shut down, the ICE died while cruising along at 50mph and I think ALL the lights came on (check engine, big read exclamation triangle of death, etc)...including all the instrument panel indicators (D,N,R,B,etc). So I coasted to a stop...proceeded to turn off the car, (I tried multiple ON/OFF cycles with no improvement on indicators even without the OBDII dongle)...so I plugged the dongle back in, restarted my Android and logged into the ECU to clear the DTC codes (I turned on the car w/o stepping on the brake pedal for this). I then restarted the car...and drove off with no problems. I am hoping this exercise in cool diagnostic toys while operating the car doesn't actually BREAK something expensive. To be continued...

Still looking for Beta testers? I have a 2008 Prius and An iPhone 6+. I have the Bluetooth LE adapter. I also have an Android and Torque.

So goldfinger appears to have solved my sudden Prius death due to the auto detect BT configuration (THANKS Goldfinger!). Follow his advice...SET YOUR CAN PROTOCOL!

Also...kudos to usbseawolf2000...I am using the PIDs he has posted...they all seem to working great!

I am now rapidly expanding my understanding and use of the Android app, Torque, and custom PIDs for my 2008 Gen2 Prius. Unfortunately, I have been unable to track down an oil pressure or oil temp PID for this Prius. Does anybody out there have this info? I am surprised it isn't common...there are PIDs for some seemingly pointless items...and this is a critical "your engine will self destruct" kinda variable.

6. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury

Can you tell us what configuration setting you changed? Was it a setting in the Torques APP? What was it by default and what did you change it to?

7. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The setting is preferred OBD2 protocol set in Torque under vehicle profile. That's up near the top of Torque's home screen.

8. Keyslammer

Keyslammer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    use "ISO 15765-4 CAN 11bit 500k baud" in the settings for Torque (or any interface to the gen2 Prius).

gdanner likes this.
  9. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Mine is set for "Automatic - Thorough protocol scan..

Think that's the default setting.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Corrected the equation of Power Request (metric). The zip attached in the first post has been updated.

Thanks to @Lares_Mat for pointing it out and testing.

gdanner and goldfinger like this.
  11. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Motor Temperature No2","MG1 Temp","21C3","1.8 * AA - 58","-58","401","F","7E2"
    "Motor Temperature No1","MG2 Temp","21C3","1.8 * AB - 58","-58","401","F","7E2"

If you're already making updates... This is from the US file and has always driven me a bit nuts... I'm guessing it's the "Motor Temperature No2" / "Motor Temperature No1" that are inverted while the "MG1 Temp" / "MG2 Temp" are as they should be?

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I updated them, going by intuition. Vincent can correct me if it is not how it said in the service manual.

13. hammermill

hammermill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    First and foremost, many thanks to usbseawolf2000 for their great work! These custom PIDs transform Torque Pro from a fun novelty into an invaluable asset for any Prius owner, hypermiler or otherwise.

I do have a couple of questions for the community. If these have been covered elsewhere I apologize. My attempts to search for them have not been fruitful.

My largest concern lies in the area of MPG calculations. While I have long read that the MFD is optimistic, the discrepancy between its reporting of fuel economy and that from Torque is larger than I'd expected. I reset both the MFD and Torque after a recent fueling and after 64 miles the MFD reads 61.7 MPG whereas Torque shows 54.3 MPG. That makes the MFD reading about 14% higher than Torque, far greater than the 5% or so I seem to recall having read somewhere in the forums.

With the great variability in the capacity of the fuel tank due to its bladder, I really can't guess whether it's the Torque or MFD reading which is more accurate. Incidentally, I actually ran out of gas (my fault!) and was able to pump just 10 gallons before it clicked off.

In the Torque settings I have checked "Faster communication" and "Enhanced MPG calculation." "Don't Calculate MPG" is unchecked. I have also set the protocol as "ISO 15765-4 CAN 11bit 500k baud." I believe that the Vehicle Profile is correctly configured, too.

Are others seeing similar differences between the MFD and Torque MPG readings? If so, does anyone know which is more accurate? I think there is an adjustment factor in the Torque settings, but ideally I want as accurate a reading as possible, whether or not that happens to match the MFD. I appreciate any and all insight or suggestions from those with experience in this area.

My other inquiry is about the extent of information available via OBD. I installed the Coastal EV mod about a year ago. I absolutely love it, though I use it judiciously as I know that any energy drawn from the battery must ultimately be replaced by that from gasoline, whether directly through the engine or indirectly via regen. Anyway, I wonder whether there is or can be a PID to display the EV mode state. There have been times that the engine has fired due to my failure to hold cruise cancel for the necessary duration.

Sorry for my verbosity. If I have been unclear, please let me know. I will be monitoring this thread and also PMs. I am continually in awe of the wealth of knowledge embodied in the PC community. Much respect and gratitude!

14. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Which MPG are you using?

#574 mfa-prius, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  15. hammermill

hammermill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry to be obtuse, but I don't understand the question :(

16. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On my Torque installation, I see a "Miles Per Gallon(Instant)", "Miles Per Gallon(Long Term Average)", and "Trip average MPG". There's some discussion of MPG in the Torque help (a little blue circled ? in the first MPG option displayed. I've selected "instant" but haven't yet done any extensive testing.

17. hammermill

hammermill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have compared Torque's "Trip average" to the MFD's Consumption screen and the "Instant" reading to that shown on the MFD's Energy Monitor. In each case, the MFD value is well over 10% higher than what Torque shows. Thanks for the response!

18. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You're welcome. I'll add more when I get time. I've never had an app that was this hard to set up; I must be doing something wrong. When I try to drag a display around, it lags behind my finger and refuses to move where I want it to go. But I may get some time tomorrow to investigate further.

19. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consider switching to the button based version of the mod. I did it myself with something like $3 worth of parts from RadioShack following the instructions in this PDF... No "necessary duration" with this version, you just push the button and then push it again when you want back out of EV.

20. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone have working ENGINE specific PIDs for gen II prius? I have been looking for Knock counters, misfire margin, etc.
    Thanks
    Anthony