1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Generation 2 more up to date after market audio upgrade options ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Markee, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm shopping around to buy a used Prius and not exactly sure what my options are for upgrading the audio system with something more up to date and approximately what it might cost?

Is there a walk through maybe on how to do it ?

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is what I did to mine. Installed Pioneer AVH-P1400 and Bazooka Tube | PriusChat
    Took a few hours on a Saturday to do. I've done a few headunits in other cars, so splicing the harnesses together was easy. You will need the Scosche TA2103B kit/harness to keep the AC controls on the wheel working and the appropriate Toyota harness. You'll need another device to make the audio controls on the wheel work with the new headunit, but I haven't gotten around to doing that. Taking the dash apart is pretty straight forward and there are videos on Youtube that will walk you through. If you have any experience at all with doing car audio, I would recommend doing it yourself.

Markee likes this.
  3. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm searching a round Craigs list and tons of small local car lots here in South Florida as you get closer to Miami there everywhere
    Still trying to decide if should go for used Gen 2 or 3
    What do you think ?

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I love my Gen2, but my main reason for getting it over a Gen3 was the price. I also prefer the way the dash and center console are in the Gen2. Gen3 does have the advantage of being newer and thus most of them have less miles on them. Both are great cars, it mainly comes down to personal preference and your budget.

Markee likes this.
  5. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll try and find a Gen 2 with leather seats
    I'm thinking if its got leather seats it most likely has most of all the other cool upgrades