1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting a New Knee After Africa Trip

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jerrymildred, Jul 29, 2021.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I mentioned this on my thread about going to Africa. (Going off grid in Africa - Again! | Page 3 | PriusChat) Someone suggested starting a new thread. I was already thinking that way myself, so here it is with my replies to some of @edthefox5's insightful comments.

Here's what I wrote yesterday on the Africa thread:
    I honestly didn't know it was that bad. It has bothered me for about nine years but was never a major issue. When it started locking, that got my attention. I apparently have a fairly high pain tolerance.

My wife just went through this in November with the same Dr. and hospital. They treated her great. On the nerve block, I had that when I got the titanium plate in my wrist. They made me so loopy that afterward, while I was waiting to go to the OR, I kept asking when they were going to do the nerve block. My wife kept telling me that they already did it. I'd go, "Oh yeah. I can't feel my right arm." Then a few minutes later, I'd ask her again. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, they did the same with the wife. She still has the little scars from the fixture that held her leg for the robot assist.

What I usually have to watch out for is that I resist the temptation to do more therapy than what I'm supposed to do. :whistle: I get in a hurry. But my wife will keep a sharp eye on me. Having already had nine screws run through my wrist and a plate put under all the tendons, etc. in the wrist, this won't be my first rodeo with post-op pain. Your advice is spot on.

#1 jerrymildred, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    edthefox5 likes this.
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like ETF5 has all of the bases covered....

Unusually for a phone mechanic, I still have all of my OEM suspension parts - but then I didn't spend my 20's and 30's hooking poles.
    Many of my contemporaries have baseball stitching around their knees, and we have a couple of techs with non-OEM parts made by Stryker or DePuy.
    Since my body is past the 130,000 mile point in Prius years, I'll probably be going to the fender and body shop before long.
    The right hip and elbow are already making ominous noises.... :unsure:
    BUT.....No EGR or head gasket problems! :)

So...yeah.
    I'll be following along.... :D

xliderider and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, first was the jumping out of trees and off of houses as a kid along with all the other jumping and running stuff. That must be why I have the big lumps under my knees from the Osgood-Schlatter disease I never knew I had till this surgeon pointed it out. Then high school football which gave me the huge scar on the right knee. Then track in college. Then 18 years of 12-hour days on my feet making aluminum cans. I still try to walk at least four miles a day. I've never been more than 25 pounds over what I should be, but I sure have put on the miles in 68 years.

Montgomery and John Dadmun like this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to complain when I was in the military that they made us run for miles when the longest ship we had in commission was under a quarter mile.....buuuuuut they wouldn't listen.

xliderider and jerrymildred like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mrs b has two bionic knees. never an athlete or overly active. unknown causation of severe arthritis.

both surgeries went extremely well. she went from barely being able to walk, to 3 miles a day no problem.
    very little post surgery pain medication.

all the best jerry!(y)

edthefox5, Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yep..my father in law had both knees...and a hip done! He is 91 now and his last knee was done in his high 80s.

Amazing how 'routine' surgery like this has become. (y)

edthefox5 and jerrymildred like this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When my wife had hers done last November, it was almost like an assembly line as patients went through the progression of phases from admitting to preop to surgery, etc.

farmecologist likes this.
  8. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    It was also that way as well when I got my....uhh...vasectomy a few yeas ago. The guy that did it has done thousands of them...multiple a day.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i need a cataract done, hope to find someone with that kind of experience, and a good track record

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife had both of hers done. It went well and she's pleased with the results. But we're kind of far from Boston. o_O

They says it's no big deal but I shudder at the thought of someone messing with my eyes. I think I'd rather have the knee replacement even if it does hurt more. :(

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i've had two shouder surgeries and 4 vitrectomies. shoulders were much easier and less nerve wracking!

edthefox5 and jerrymildred like this.
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Four eyes

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what my doc said, he lied

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My sister is 71. She got to the point that it pained me to watch her walk. She had a knee replacement about a month ago.

She was always very active and 2 weeks after surgery she was attempting to walk around the block. Her therapist cautioned her against doing too much and advised her to stick to the prescribed therapy schedule.

Now that she is about a month out she walks with a slight hint of a limp. She said that she has no pain at all while walking and the only pain is an ache at night. Most of the restrictions are gone now. Her leg extension is near 0 degrees. I didn't realize that you needed therapy to obtain full leg extension. Her range of motion is now about 100 degrees and improving.

You mentioned that you thought that your knee problems were due to activities as a youth. My 70 year old brother had a successful knee surgery this Summer and I have been putting off getting something done with my knee. My suspicion is that our knee problems may be part hereditary and part life experiences as there are people in their 90's without knee problems.

I hope that your surgery is as successful as theirs and look forward to hearing how it goes.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the kind wishes and shared experiences everyone. I just got a call from my primary doctor with an appointment for his pre-op. So, everything is now on the calendar. I have clearance from the cardiologist, and dates for hospital pre-op, primary care pre-op, COVID test, and finally surgery on August 18.

edthefox5 and Merkey like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plenty, of priuschat time :cool:

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's definitely a good diversion. We'll see how long it will be before I feel up to it and have time between all the therapy and icing. :confused: Proper rehab after a TKR is a full time job for the first several weeks.

farmecologist and edthefox5 like this.
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Ice machine or plain old baggies?

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mrs b had a machine in the hospital, and special packs at home

jerrymildred likes this.
  20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same as Mrs. Bisco, I expect. The hospital used the machine for my wife. We have a fairly large variety of the flexible ice packs. We wrap a towel around the knee to protect the skin, then the ice pack, and then another towel to hold it in place and provide a little insulation.