1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grid charger

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bigblock67, Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bigblock67

bigblock67 433K with new cells

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there someone to loan or rent a grid charger for Gen 1. I will buy one when I’m sure a charge on the main will start the motor. Car has a lot of miles so may have other issues but can’t know with low charge.
    Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    look around, i think someone here just put one up for sale, might be a good deal

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might want to ask your local dealer what the cost is for them to charge it.

I'd rent one to you for $350 + shipping.
    Redundable deposit amount equal to the full cost of the system.
    Unit must be returned within 21 days.
    If not returned in time, then rental immediately coverts to a purchase and deposit is not returned.

Or you could build one yourself for around $100.

Or you could repurpose just about any other dc power supply.

Or you could use a smaller charger and charge up sections at a time until you reach desired voltage.

Or you could jump it from another Prius.

There are lots of options.

You'll have a bot more of a challenge since gen 1 Prius operates at a higher voltage.

#3 ericbecky, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

In other words, he doesn't want to rent you a grid charger. I have heard that Toyota dealers won't charge Hybrid batteries, don't know if this is true. I guess I'd be asking an Indie Hybrid shop if they'll do it. And tow the car in. Can you do your own work? For the cost of labor, you'd be better to just bite the bullet and buy a grid charger kit from Hybrid Automotive, install the harness yourself, and see if the HV battery will accept a charge. @ 15 years old, I'd wager that it won't.

On Craigslist here there are guys that advertise hybrid battery repairs, if you have something like that in Indiana, you might give them a call.

It's okay Ericbecky, I don't want to (won't) rent and ship mine either.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a system in the for sale section of PC for $500. (You'll need to also buy a harness)
    You could buy it and then rent it out to others in your situation.

Set pricing to what you feel is appropriate and will assure you getting it back in a reasonable amount of time after the rental period.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. bigblock67

bigblock67 433K with new cells

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ended up buying one. Went for on 64v to 310v . Triangle still comes on and car jumps a little losing power. Took bat out and all cells are 7.70 v to 8.18v. Not sure if any cells are bad?? You

7. Mark Brandon

Mark Brandon New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old thread I'm posting to but for others googling and seeing this I purchased a little device from an Ebay seller that plugs into the computer connection under the steering wheel. It says:

VEEPEAK OBDCheck VP11

Then I downloaded the free Dr. Prius app for my Android cell phone to get a readout of the 19 modules that a Prius 2002 has (38 individual batteries). It also shows the internal resistance of the battery pairs plus other useful stats such at total voltage, % of charge, the battery temp sensors, etc. When the ignition is in the accessory position you can run the Dr. Prius app and connect to OBDII via bluetooth and it will display the status of the 19 modules in a bar chart type of display and you can easily tell which battery pairs are needing to be replaced (or regenerated). Many used batteries will show nominal voltage but don't work under load so seeing the battery status in real time is very helpful to diagnose and replace your worn out batteries.
    Once I replaced my bad pairs in my 2002 Prius I had to use my other device that reads the computer's error codes as the triangle of death display wouldn't go away until I used the "erase" function to clear any errors. My Prius had no error code (scanned and the readout was 0 errors) yet it was still necessary to run the erase function to get the display back to normal.

#7 Mark Brandon, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  8. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I took my car to a local hybrid repair shop several years ago to get my first aftermarket battery repaired after my attempts to replace modules didn't work. I replace the two in the bank that was reported by the engine code, and one other that was leaking, but it didn't work.

The repair shop cleaned the throttle body, which was a big help, but reconditioning the pack, and load testing all the modules also didn't work to repair the issue. What struck me as odd is the shop didn't have an OBDII reader that could display the individual bank voltage in real time, and thought maybe it was because the gen 1 ECU didn't report this info.

Had I done my homework and used the Dr. Prius app, I might have been able to find the issue and keep the pack going a while longer. Replacing modules is by far the cheapest option, but it's not fun having to pull the heavy battery out every time one goes bad.

9. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Easy one to build from here

Attached Files:

10. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius