1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Guess what turned up in the post today...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bronze84, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...my HID kit, woohoo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to install them tomorrow but its like a Siberian blizzard out there at the moment so not so sure...

[​IMG]

Anyhow, does anyone know whether the connector for the H4 bulb is on the driver or passenger side for a UK Prius?

Daves09prius and Britprius like this.
  2. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Cool, Hope you survive the siberian blizzard and can get them installed soon! Are you converting from non-HID to HID or just improving OEM HID lighting?

3. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes converting from none hid to hid.

4. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very cool! I hope to do this to mine at some point.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In general it's not a good idea to convert to HID on the non-projector Gen II lights. This conversion might blind oncoming cars. Will it pass the MOT tests?

6. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll find out about the mot in oct lol!

As for putting hids in a halogen reflector lens, I've often wondered this... My last car was a Lexus IS300 which had factory hids as standard, but these were housed in a reflector style enclosure not a projector style light. What's the difference?

7. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The difference is the way that the light will shine down the road. Typically an HID bulb in a standard halogen headlight assembly will have glare and blind oncomming drivers. However, from what I've read it all depends on the bulb and if it comes equiped with glare shields, which from the picture it appears to have.
    Here is a post that discusses it a bit:

Is it possible to convert my 09 prius lights to HID? | PriusChat

Is it a bi-xenon kit (has both High and low beams)?

Please keep us updated and show pics! I've been interested in doing this mod for awhile, but never got around to researching the different types and brands etc...

Goodluck with your project!:)

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did this mod last year using a similar kit as Bronze84 on the same model and year Prius in the UK. The results are very good. The only thing that I would and may alter is the color temperature of the bulbs. My kit was supplied with 6000k bulbs and I would prefer 4300 or 5000k for a whiter less blue light, but still far better than the halogens.

No problems with the MOT.

John (Britprius)

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't do this... And the only reason you will pass inspection is because they don't know it is there. I guarantee if you tell them you put HID lighting in a halogen reflector your car will not be certified road worthy.

I have typed up the why and reasoning all over this forum. You can find differences between the reflectors for HID and halogens on the Prius here: HID install help | PriusChat

Take a look at the last post there by Justdidit. He has photos of the stock halogen versus stock HID for the Prius GenII. Just like your IS300 with reflector based HIDs, the design is very different than a halogen offering.

You should also read this thread: wanting to clarify on some things before HID install. | PriusChat

And if you want to understand HID bulbs and replacements for when the time comes, read this: Not all HID Bulbs are created equal | Page 2 | PriusChat

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The UK MOT is very strict on lighting. A test is carried out for both alignment and beam pattern of the headlamps anything shown to be causing glare will fail the test. The test does not only include headlamps, any light fitted on the car has to work and be of the correct color even if the particular light is not required in law. No smoked front or rear lenses unless OEM no under car lighting, fog and spot lamp alignment is checked as is the correct switching "spots cannot be turned on with dipped headlamps"

John (Britprius)

11. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    John

Has yours passed its MOT with your hids fitted?

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes no problem, ask the tester beforehand and he said as long as they pass the beam pattern test, alignment, and did not fall outside of reasonable white light not a problem. He did say he had failed a vehicle because the lights fitted were too blue.

Actually mines due for MOT 1st of MAY.

Bet you did not fit you's today, a bit cold isn't it. They say it's going to be like this till at leased mid April. We still have 18 inches of snow and it's been snowing again today. You will have your lights fitted in June!

John (Britprius)

Daves09prius likes this.
  13. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes we're expecting more snow too! :( We're finally getting winter now that it's spring!
    Hope you get the HID's installed soon and hope all goes well with the MOT, my fingers are crossed for you!

14. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol yes John - I took a look under the bonnet yesterday but my fingers were frozen within 2 minutes so I had to abort. One thing I did notice though is that there's more space in a tin of sardines than in the engine bay! Did you need to remove the headlights slightly to get behind to the bulb holder?

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No I managed with the lights in place.

To remove the headlamps you need to drop the top edge of the bumper. There are two vertical bolts (10mm small socket) one either side hidden behind the wheel arch cover where the corner of the bumper meets the front wing. If you remove the headlamps the ballasts can be fitted in the Toyota position on the underside of the headlamps.

John (Britprius)

16. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have to remove the entire headlight assembly because I can't fit my hands in that small space. It takes me about 10 minutes per headlight to remove, change out the bulb and reinstall it. Trust me it's that fast.

Look at this youtube video.

You do NOT need to take the plastic bumper cover all the way off. Just do one side at a time. It's usually easier for me that way...

Also there are three bolts that hold the headlight assemblies to the car, two on top and one from the side. When I reinstalled the headlight assemblies I didn't install the bolt from the side on purpose, It makes it much easier for future headlight assembly removal.

rw53104 likes this.
  17. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right. Well I've managed to find some time and some half decent weather today to fit the hids. Pics to follow.....

18. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok so firstly, sorry about the poor quality pics, it was dusk and my iphone really doesn't like dusk. Also it's hard to show lights without too much light compensation from the camera.

I was totally surprised at how easy the install was. It took me just over an hour, mainly because I was taking my time and inspecting what else was under the hood. I managed to squeeze my hands down to remove the OEM bulbs and replace with the hid's. They fitted like a dream! That was the hardest bit, the wiring harness is really easy, everything is just plug n play type. The wires all tucked away neatly and under the plastic trim by the bonnet latch at the front. I did find it difficult deciding where to mount the ballasts, this is mainly because space is so tight under there....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below are two pictures of the hid's shining against my (slightly decoloured) garage door on a normal low beam. I can't help but notice that the left headlight seems a very slightly different colour compared to the right. They are definitely both the same colour temperature bulbs, anyone know what this could be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a couple of pics on high beam. Hard to make out the difference when so close to the garage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll do a short video on dash cam when I get a chance. I'm not hoping for miracles, just a cleaner light output on the road instead of the horrible yellow of the standard bulbs.

In the mean time, whilst I was under the bonnet I took my MAF sensor out to give it a clean. Although my Prius has only done (a not-so-high) 66,000m the sensor was filthy. So out came the electrical spray and now it is like new again. Hopefully the engine will run slightly smoother/cleaner and maybe even slightly more economical?!?! Only time will tell!

[​IMG]

It's hard to make out but the sensor was choked with carbon and dirt build up (below)

[​IMG]

And after (below).... It shines!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daves09prius likes this.
  19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nicely done, what color temperature were the HID's you used and did you manage to get the rear headlamp covers back on ok. As for me I think that was the hardest part untill I fitted them with just the bulb bases fitting the actual bulbs last.

John (Britprius)

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Got mine booked for MOT Monday I'll let you know how it goes.

John (Britprius)