1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone ever used hybridbatteryexperts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by john12345, Feb 17, 2014.

1. kuz

kuz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll share my experience as well. I had them come out and do an install. First battery was bad but they came back a few days later and put in a better one. I bought the battery via Ebay (via hybridbatteryexperts) to have some protections. The second battery they put in just failed. I called to get them to come do the 'warranty' work and they have scheduled/not shown up about seven times in a row. When I do call them (if they answer) they give some run around about their delivery cars are messed up.

So, stay away. On the positive side, the installer are actually really nice and do a pretty good job but the business is in shambles. The batteries appear that they just pull the bad cells and put new ones in. Using my computer I noticed they are pretty out of balance even as they put the new ones in. Typically the 'new' cells have much higher voltage/oms as the rest. I'll keep everyone updated with any progress. I'll be working toward getting a refund asap.

No, don't do it. As an update, the second battery they installed just failed (2 in 60 days) and now they are giving me the run around about replacing it (via the warranty). They have scheduled and canceled seven times in the last two weeks and rarely answer my calls. So, I would stay away. I'll give a more detailed update in the next week or so as I'm basically begging them to come back and put a new one in.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you paid with your credit card, you can possibly put a dispute in and try to get your money back.

dorunron likes this.
  3. kuz

kuz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    After threatening to do a chargeback on my card they actually sent someone out to 'fix' the battery. Basically, they just took the battery out and replaced the bad cell (using a 12v trickle charger to 'balance' the cell). The installer was pretty efficient and did the entire process in about 2 hours (in my driveway). I'll have to wait to see how well it turns out. The techscan stats actually look better than I expected but the new cell is still an outlier (+/- on cell voltage is about .2 different than the rest but internal resistance is even compared to outliers after first bad install). I'll drive it for a while and keep track of the battery condition each week.

On the positive side, the tech (who was actually really good) did a great job of showing me the exact process of taking the battery out, replacing a cell and putting it all back together. Enough to the point where I would feel pretty comfortable switching out a cell in an afternoon. If I can find a used core I'll probably try and rebuilt my own battery as a backup.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What he did to the battery is not balancing it. He just replaced the bad cell. This cell replacement probably won't last long. I would keep the chargeback active until after a week or two before cancelling it.

Oops.....just read it was only a "threat", no real chargeback in place.

I guess his plan was to show you how to do this yourself so you won't have to call him again.

#24 JC91006, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  5. flashcdog

flashcdog Junior Member

Kuz... was wondering if you are satisfied with their work now? Has the replacement been working to your satisfaction?

Despite your difficulties I can't help but consider them versus all the other options out there. Additionally I live about 10 miles from his shop so I could be much more of a nuisance if something went wrong.

Thanks for any additional input you might have.

6. kuz

kuz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, update Sept 3,
    Surprisingly, the last replacement cell has lasted a few months but is now fading fast. The battery discharges after it sits for any length of time (shows 1 red bar). After running it for a little bit it will charge back up and run somewhat normally. The MPGs have really taken a hit and all we are getting in the city is about 37-41 (AC on mid/high, 100+ temps). On the highway it seems more normal at 45MPGish.

I'm not really sure what my next plan is. I could call them and get them to come back up (they are not currently answering the phones) or I could work with a local enthusiast who can help me re-balance and get some better matching cells. After enough hassle, they would probably come change out a cell or two but I'm not even sure that is worth it anymore. I'll probably just work with a local guy and chalk it up as an expensive lesson learned. I did write a review of hybridbatteryexperts on my webpage/blog and I've received several messages about people who are also getting scammed by them so stay away for sure.

If you have used their service, try calling one of the techs if you still have there number and call the main line from a different number than you originally used to place your order. They will give you the run around by may come and switch out some cells for you.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you have a too high of expectation for a rebuilt battery. The battery you have is still from 2005, if 1 or 2 modules was replaced during the rebuilt, you still have at least 26 original 2005 modules in there. Those modules can fail at any time, just like the original modules you replaced.

Since there are no warning lights on your car, you shouldn't have to worry about how the battery is behaving. If the battery ECU picks up any abnormalities, you will get the hybrid warning light. If you don't see it, just get on your day and drive as usual.

8. brogrimm

brogrimm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My experience with ReInvolt (now Dorman Hybrid) has unfortunately not been so smooth. The ReInvolt battery we purchased in 2013 died just short of its first birthday. After several phone calls and finding out Dorman purchased ReInvolt we finally had the warranty replacement battery arrive at the installer. It is now TWO MONTHS later and Dorman has yet to reimburse the installer for the installation charges under the warranty as they have in the past. Both the installer and I are quite upset at this unnecessary delay. I have tried on a couple of occasions to speak directly with David Taylor at Dorman Hybrid but was referred instead to sending him an email. Some issues, when they reach this point, really do benefit from a good "old-fashioned" person-to-person voice phone call.
    I did just read another person's experience with Dorman warranty where he was told they are NOT honoring the labor part of the warranty service!
    Watch my commute.. is this normal? | Page 3 | PriusChat

9. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was at Taylor Automotive this morning and the service was good but I was a little disappointed they didn't take a closer look at Ema like I asked after the service work was done. I specifically drove over there because they have a lot of Prii experience and was just looking for another set of eyes to look her over and see if anything seemed out of the ordinary or out of place. I didn't even get the obligatory your air filter and cabin filter need to be changed, LOL.

I know for a fact my tires are showing the wear bar and should be replaced in the next few thousand miles. I also know that the front brakes are down to 4mm and that wasn't mentioned either. Actually nothing at all was so that's a little disappointing.

Ohhhh, I was there to have them install a new catalytic converter and one of the grid chargers for the hybrid battery. Here is the thread on the grid charger:

Traction Battery Preventative Maintenance - Hybrid Automotive Chargers | PriusChat

One thing to note since it is relative to this thread is having a Grid Charger installed voids the ReInvolt (Dorman Hybrid) warranty. I was told this from Tracy at Taylor who was told that by David from Dorman specifically, FYI.

Happy driving,
    Chris

10. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is bummer, but sadly not unexpected. If Toyota/Dorman/etc understood how well charging extends battery life and reduces warranty claims, one would think they would embrace the technology. Having said that, it's often easier to try to eliminate the unknown - which is why any charging/balancing/PHEV system will normally void a batteries warranty.

Of course our systems can always be removed if needed to allow for a warranty claims processing.

11. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Adding to JC91006's suggestion re: credit card charge -
    Did the card you use have an extended warranty provision? I've had an experience with a vendor who did not honor a warranty and sought help from the c.c. company.
    (there may be limitations w/ auto parts? Call and find out)

It may not get you a working battery but at least you will get your $$$ back....

Good luck.

12. George Holmes

George Holmes New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey dorunron, Good info here. I just discovered this wonderful chat for us Prius owners. I live in Austin, Tx and have a 2007 Prius since it was new. Today while driving up MoPac my Energy Monitor kept turning back to the engine display. I would turn it back to it's normally running screen Climate, to have it turn back to the engine. All the battery cell positions (guess that is what they are called) were all the way up to the top-except for one. I have never had this happen before and am a "Worried retired B52 Tail Gunner"........

2007 Prius since it's birth
    26,000 original miles
    The only thing wrong with it is that it is black.

Any info that would help s mightily appreciated.

Over and out.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    These remanufactured batteries all too often are penny wise and pound foolish solutions.
    I know how I am going to handle future battery demise:
    1. Less than 3 years likely life left in the car: Buy a new car
    2. More than 5 years likely left in the car: Purchase new from online Toyota sources (currently ~ $2300) and then spend a couple hours installing the battery myself.
    3. Anticipated 3 -5 years life left in the car: Look for reman that is using a complete set of lightly used G3 modules

#33 SageBrush, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  14. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you ever replaced the 12v battery?

Get your 12v battery checked. If needed, replace it.

15. hybridfan05

hybridfan05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Long time member of Prius Chat but never posted anything, until the latest problem and muddling through to the solution. Long post.

Story of a hybrid battery change, just sharing my experience -

About a month ago, I get the dreaded Red Triangle, (!), VSC light up on my 2005 Prius, 167K miles. Located near Providence, RI.
    Went to the dealer to get it evaluated and they indicated the hybrid battery change codes - Cost $110. Battery replacement quote from dealer - OUCH - $3600, all inclusive. Based on the age and mileage of the car, started looking for other options.

Went to the best resource for any Prius issues - Prius Chat and found out about reconditioned batteries. Surprisingly, nobody doing any such work in the New England area, considering this is a good base market for the Prius. Found about 3 suppliers who could work (thru' PriusChat) -
    1. Dorman Hybrid - don't sell direct, found their distributor from online search based in Seekonk, MA, waysideauto-biz
    2. Prius Rebuilders (aka Falcon Hybrid), falconhybrid-com
    3. High Voltage Solutionz, hybridparts2go-webs-com

Dorman’s distributor in Seekonk, MA gave me a quote for approx. $2400 for a reconditioned battery (still a shock !)

Prius Rebuilders based out of NY gave a quote of $1400 including installation at my location, 6-mth warranty.

HVS based out of Florida gave a quote of $1200 including installation at my location, 18-mth warranty.

Didn’t believe HVS quote (how are they making money?), so went with Prius Rebuilders. Paid via credit card. BAD MOVE – never got a straight answer on when they could do the work, always “within the next 2 days”. Took a month, finally got mad and cancelled the order, got a full refund.

Finally went with HVS – they told me 1 wk from order. Payment upon completion of work, no advance. Right ON TIME, I get a call from their Tech 24 hours prior to install. He came and did the job in 20 minutes. The codes got reset and took the car for a drive with the tech. So far working fine (has only been a few days). Would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a reconditioned hybrid battery.

Talked to the tech from HVS and learned a little bit about their business – they cover the country. Have techs located in various geo regions, he covered the East Coast. Basically he drives up and down the coast and installs batteries as needed. The drop-off for reconditioning is somewhere in VA. The company has figured out the logistics of this process – basically having a network of techs, reconditioning locations and online sales.

Moral (for me): Just because it is the lowest cost, does not mean something is wrong. I could be proven otherwise, but so far it’s been good.

16. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Edit: Posted info about supplying replacement batteries on a different thread.

"Beginning next week PriusChat members will no longer have to search all over to find a replacement hybrid battery.....
    ??? about battery replacement. Also rear-ended.

#36 ericbecky, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  17. Maria Biggane

Maria Biggane New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Prius 2006 - 142 000 miles that needs to have the hybrid battery replaced. Toyota quote me $4000, and right now I just can not afford it. I found Hybrid Battery Experts and they can come tomorrow and replace the battery for $800 and 6 months warranty. I have being looking for any info in the company and I found you that talk with Juan also. Just wants to know how everything is working for you because is has being almost a year for you but I don't know if you come to the site and check. If anyone have any info, I would be very thankful..

18. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You still have a lot of life left in your Prius. If you can DIY, or know someone competent to DIFM (Do It For Me), a NEW Toyota HV Battery is $2175, w/ core exchange, from Arlington Toyota, in Jacksonville, FL. 2007 Toyota Prius Parts -
    Just verify that they will sell you the HV Battery at the Internet price. There have been reports of some dealers refusing to sell HV Batteries to the public.

A NEW HV Battery will likely give you the same amount of miles (142,000miles). A used/rebuilt/remanufactured will likely not. Be advised that a rebuilt/remanufactured purchase typically requires an installation fee. If you can not DIY, you will be paying an install fee again for the warranty replacement. So, $800 (battery) + $250 (initial install fee) + $250 (warranty replacement/install fee) = $1300. There have been horror stories of people who would have been better off just buying a NEW HV Battery.

Tbkilb01 and GrGramps like this.
  19. prius357

prius357 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do NOT use hybrid battery experts/carworx with owner being Juan based out of orlando florida. He will take your money and not honor your warranty on fixing the prius battery. This company does not honor what they say, better to go to the dealership then deal with a compaby that is not professional, doesnt answer their calls, and does not offer a refund for work they should have fixed. Stay away from this company!!Juan is the owner. He has a co-worker called hector that wprks with him. Please be aware!!

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you.