1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has HYB134a Been Banned From Retail Sale?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jimolson, Jun 15, 2020.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Anyone know if hybrid-compatible R134a refrigerant been banned from retail sale?

I can find only one online vendor selling hybrid-compatible refrigerant: an unknown firm that calls itself "A/C PRO".

I customarily think of Interdynamics as the major player in the retail automotive DIY market, but I find no Interdynamics hybrid-compatible refrigerant anywhere.

Where can I purchase this stuff in a major US city?

The normal cast of characters (Pep Boys, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc.) say "we don't got".

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No; it's still on the shelves, here, in South Carolina.

3. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Georgina, thanks for replying. Can you say where this stuff is available?

Since my earlier posting I've determined that A/C PRO is a division of Interdynamics. Interdynamics was sold and is now owned by the corporation that owns Armor-All and STP.

A/C PRO's website does not list any hybrid compatible R134a. I spoke with someone at A/C PRO by phone who said this stuff was "hard to get...don't know why...keep looking in the retail sector and you'll probably find some eventually....".

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe the refrigerant is R134A (aka HFC-134a in Repair Manual? Maybe just Toyota parlance? See attachment.), and a special oil is required: ND11. Both the refrigerant and oil quantities are fairly critical.

You for sure don't want to use refrigerant with "some oil" mixed in. Safer to get oil-free refrigerant, if it's just for a top-up. Toyota even cautions against using gauge set that's had other oil in it.

Another thread:

Refrigerant for hybrids | PriusChat

My first thought, with automotive air conditioning, in particular Prius, is to just let dealership do it. Seat-of-pants top-up is risky.

Attached Files:

#4 Mendel Leisk, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

6. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks, Mendel. I always look forward to your posts. You are correct that the culprit in standard (non-hybrid) R134a is the conductivity of the oil.

I've always wondered why the conductivity of non-hybrid refrigerant isn't problematic when the compressor motor windings have 240VAC/60Hz on them. I think the motor in a household AC compressor is submerged in refrigerant.

But then it occurs to me that Toyota probably has ground current sensing circuitry (GCFI) on Prius' compressor drive harness that will shut off the drive waveform in the presence of inappropriate, highly-conductive refrigerant oil.

Mendel Leisk likes this.