1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Manhal K Alrashdan, Sep 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Manhal K Alrashdan

Manhal K Alrashdan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I usually tend to forget the head lights on when parking my Gen 3 prius specially in well lit parking lots at night. Why there is'nt any alarming beep to remind me. I think its strange for Toyota to overlook such an important feature in an all electronic car. I used to have an old Opel kadett that will beep if I opened my door while the lights are on. This could save the battery from being drained.

2. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The lights turn off after 30 seconds. I think you can change the time interval through the radio.

Manhal K Alrashdan likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is no warning chime or beep because the lights will automatically turn off after a set time (selectable, see owner's manual). FYI, this applies to both the lowbeam and the parking light modes.

Some may consider this a convenience or a safety feature. Lights stay on illuminating your walk up to your front door from your driveway, for example.

Try to leave your key fob in the car and lock the door, and that's a different story. The vehicle will beep at you to remind you that something is wrong. ;)

Manhal K Alrashdan likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In our Canadian model with auto headlight, if I set it to that, yeah the headlights'll shut off after 30 seconds.

For various reasons I prefer the manual setting. And AFAIK, then they don't shut off.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    xliderider likes this.
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually, I think I remember them shutting off in manual mode. I think it happened to me once. But I normally leave them in "auto" mode. In Pearl S they go off immediately when I open the drivers door. I think I remember the delay is a programmable setting.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At least in the US, the owners' manual claims that delay is a customizable option (by dealer or with Techstream or such).

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah understand that, just thinking about owner changeable. Poor design as-is.

9. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only shuts off if the car is locked by the keyfob ... if left unlocked or locked with the physical key the headlights stay on if I am not mistaken .... !!!

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Ah, brain just kicked in. Because we have the Canadian car with the DRLs done such that you can't shut them off, our headlamps go off when you open the drivers door. If they are on. If not the DRLs go off. ;)

11. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I prefer no annoying alarm for when I want the lights on and my door open. The fact that it shuts off after a preset amount of time is the perfect solution.

There is very little I would change about my 2012 PiP. I prefer manual seats, manual headlights, doors that don't lock when you drive (configurable with TechStream). Nope, not thinking of something I would complain about. Maybe an analog fuel gauge and tachometer. They really aren't necessary, but I like to look at those things.