1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help deciding my next step please

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by WHCSC, Jun 3, 2016.

1. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm the guy that got a Gen 1 before reading the post about who should NOT get one. :)
    Anyway, I have a 2002 that I love with about 115K on it. I took it in to a local "Hybrid Shop" to get a battery health report. He said the machine wouldn't give him a print-out, but said that 2 of my cells are almost 1v lower than the rest. No codes. So, to my question:

Is this an issue that I need to address now or do I still have plenty of time on this battery as is? (No guarantees, I know)

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A failing module will be about 1.2V low. When that happens, that module runs hot and generates pressure that heats the adjacent modules, leading them to fail. Having two failing modules, it needs to be addressed before the car becomes 'lawn art.'

Fortunately, there is a lot of accumulated knowledge about how to handle failing traction batteries and you are in a good place to learn what folks have done. So GOOD, FAST, CHEAP - pick two and we'll offer some suggestions on where to go next. It would also help if you could tell us:
    1. Is the Prius your only ride or do you have alternate transportation for work?
    2. What auto tools do you regularly use?
    Bob Wilson

3. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know how to change oil, filters and fill tires. That's about all I would trust myself with. It's not my daily driver. The plan was to sell it to my daughter who will be 16 in August.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sell it?
    That's interesting... ;)

I like it.

Just remember that the G1 isn't that much younger than your daughter, so breakdowns for other things might be in her future.
    The last time I was in Omaha it seemed like a fairly nice town, but make sure that there is a plan for the breakdowns that will surely occur.

If it were my car, then I would crack the case and do a visual inspection on the battery and replace the defective modules early...but I'm comfortable with that level of work, and I have AAA and a concealed carry permit, I'm a middle-aged person and I live three miles from work.

All of this adds up to a far different risk assessment matrix for me than it might for your baby girl.
    You may want to start pricing out a replacement battery pack and watching some Youtube vids. You can probably replace the pack yourself for less than 2K and then attend to the other things that might be an issue for a 14 year old Prius.
    I'd put replacing the CVT fluid fairly high up on my other preventative maintenance tasks as well.
    The good news about having a 14-year-old car is that there is a lot of DIY info out there.
    Most of it is even accurate.

Best of Luck!.

5. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 7 kids will all earn their own way just like their old man (y)

strawbrad and ETC(SS) like this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like they have a pretty squared-away Dad.

Best of luck!

Johog likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks! This is what I needed to know:
    I would recommend going with a quality, rebuild with warranty. In 2009, I used ReInvolt, now Dorman, but I understand there have been quality issues but the warranty has been honored. I don't replace Prius traction batteries often enough to be an expert. However, @ericbecky or @3prongpaul are experience folks who do this stuff for a living. They would have current advice on the best approach.

This is something in the $2,000 range including labor. Probably closer to $3,000 if you use Toyota, the 'top quality' but priciest solution. You can 'do it yourself' and we've talked folks through it before but it is kinda of science project. I don't know if your daughter has an interest in things technical but it would give her insights and might 'work trade' the purchase.

Bob Wilson

WHCSC likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    if you decide to let the daughter have it, Find a oil change outfit that does multiple changes for one price. I bought my daughter 4 changes a year for her Subaru Forester. She knew when to do maintenance, she did not have funds to do maintenance. The car will last longer when maintained, and they will point out stuff before she would notice.

WHCSC likes this.
  9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WHCSC,
    Be glad to chat through some ideas with you.
    Phone number is in my signature.

WHCSC likes this.
  10. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're pretty close to Omaha. Maybe you should just come down and fix it up. ;)

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe if I was in Madison, NERBRASKA.
    Kinda far from Madison, WISCONSIN.

12. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all downhill though :D

13. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

14. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I sure screwed that post up somehow. o_O

15. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Back in 2009 rebuilding a Gen I battery was a good option. In 2016 there are just not enough good Gen I modules left. Gen II modules can be used but at the current market rate of $30 each for 38 modules that is not cost effective.

The only good solution left for Gen I batteries is a new replacement from Toyota. List price is about $2300 without installation.

At a one volt difference I would say you do not have a lot of time left before the car is stuck on the side of the road.

To learn more about your battery read this thread.

http://priuschat.com/threads/newb-with-a-2003.166376/

Brad

16. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there anyone here around Omaha that has a way to test this battery to see how it is? My local "hybrid shop" that did the original test and said that there were issues can't provide me with any details or a readout.