1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help finding open electron

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rmacguy1949, Aug 22, 2013.

1. rmacguy1949

rmacguy1949 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to bother you all, but I posted a question about checking a traction battery. I received 1 reply that a company open electron had a device I could use. I attempted to find the web site and kept getting a general sales web site, nothing to do with a Prius or battery monitor.

can someone please point me in the right direction.

I attempted to start a conversasion with the poster and couldn't; I also tried to reply to the poster and received and error message with phony web site listed.

any help would be really appreciated

thanks in advance

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Could you elaborate a little more on what you wish to do? I assume you want to check a Prius HV battery, but for what? Is it a battery that has failed and you wish to rebuild, or is it a working Prius that you wish to check the condition of the battery?
    If the battery is still installed in the car I would recommend the Mini VCI with Techstream available on ebay for around $25 + a laptop. This is basically the program that the dealers use.

John (Britprius)

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think OP is referring to this device: Traction Battery Health Monitor for Toyota Prius - OpenElectrons.com

Recently user user "jdenenberg" has posted a few links to this device, which appears to be a really neat solution for anyone looking for a simple way to monitor HV battery health in a gen2 Prius.

I haven't personally used it, but to me it looks legit. Maybe someone who has tested one could post a brief review.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry we had trouble starting a conversation. I could not figure out what your question was.

Go to the OpenElectrons.com website listed above. I just tried the site and the Traction Battery Monitor was on the front page.

Let me know what questions I can help answer.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was a beta tester. The device plugs into the OBDII port and contains a microSD memory card. Each time you start the car it begins another file collecting battery data; SOC, Amps, Battery Voltage, Battery Module Pair Voltage and Resistance for each 14 module pairs, battery temps.

Remove the device and read the files with a microSD reader. The file is in a .txt file but can be imported directly into an Excel spreadsheet. You can review the data and build trends such as the 14 battery module voltages, resistances, temps, etc. during your trip.

This gives you the current data for your battery and a baseline for future comparisons. I have files taken during cooler weather the first of the year and now 90+F temps this summer.

This is the same data that your dealer would record with Techstream.

OpenElectrons.com has a page for users to download files for others to see and they will analyze the data and give you their opinion of your current battery health.

uart likes this.