1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help, messed up my wife's SmartKey - lock/unlock buttons not working

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2ap, Feb 3, 2024.

1. 2ap

2ap New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hey all - hoping you can help rescue me from a predicament here for our 2022 Prius prime LE.

Lost one of my SmartKey's because I'm an idiot and instead of ponying up to take it to the dealer or a locksmith to replace it I wanted to try and do it myself.

Purchased a replacement SmartKey off eBay - matched all the PCB boards and it was identical. I got a minivci cable and used tech stream 18.00.008 to add a key.

Everything seemed to work but when I added the new key it said the key will work for ignition but there was a failure - use physical key to lock and unlock.

Weirdly enough now the new key starts the car, but the lock unlock buttons do not work. There is a diagnostic in tech stream that confirms they SmartKey lock unlock works and it registers, however the car does not lock/unlock when the buttons are pushed. Also the proximity sensor doesn't work either.

I kind of chalked it up to the new key that I bought but to my dismay I realized that my wife's original from the factory key now does not work to lock and unlock the car anymore either. It also gives a message that I have to depress the brake and touch the key to start the car. I tried using techstream's SmartKey erasure to erase all the keys except for the original that came with the car, and although it was successful the key still doesn't lock and unlock the car. Same issue. I can still add the eBay key and it still works to start the car but no difference.

At my wits end here - if I can't solve it I'm planning on taking to the dealer and ponying up probably more than what I would have initially just paid to fix it in the first place.... Does anyone have any thoughts about this or any experience?

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks to me like an issue with the mini vci / techstream bundle. Just my suspicion though. Here's a link to one of my posts about the testing I did of the ThinkCar ThinkDiag adapter and software on our Gen 4
    Gen2 OBD2 app review | Page 3 | PriusChat

3. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry I can't help you but can you tell me which minivci cable you bought? I bought one and had to return it because it couldn't communicate with Techstream in my virtual session.