1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! My friend back in to my front bumper :/

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusLe9end, Mar 18, 2018.

1. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went to Sunday church today with my new 2018 Prius less than a month old. after church, my friend backed into my brand new Prius and broke the front bumper and put a tear in my front bumper right under the front sensor. Just wondering what be the best action to take? take it to dealer? Will this accident void my Toyota factory warranty?

2. bbunge

bbunge Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Talk to your friends insurance company! They will be responsible to fix it
    Same thing happened to my daughters Prius C which required a new bumper. Don't be surprised if the paint doesn't match.

P01M ?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, accidents happen all the time.

I'll try to resist my inner troll, not rant about why they call these damn works of art "bumpers". Well, I tried...

4. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    not sure the paint code but it the super sonic red 2018 prius

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    if I repair it a the dealer they will report to insurance? he is a good friend of mine don't want his insurance to go up unless I have to.

6. Phil Barry

Phil Barry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you'll be surprise at the price for fixing the bumper - doesn't it have sensors in it? IIRC, new car warranties don't cover accidents.... Nevertheless, you choose whether or not to make a claim against insurance.

HPrimeAdvanced and PriusLe9end like this.
  7. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    impacted bumper area contain two front sensors :/

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it to your insurance, they will get the car fixed, your friends insurance will be notified and billed. He hit you, it's his responsibility to make it right..... if he is uninsured, your uninsured motorist will kick in. If you are in Cal, he will be reported to DMV for not having insurance!

RCO, PriusLe9end, krmcg and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Talk to your friend. Get them to check with their insurance, find out how it'll affect their rates, go from there. You do not have to hide this from the insurance companies, just sound them out. There is no reason to go to dealership btw, they will just hand it over to a bodyshop anyway.

If it ends up costing more to make a claim, in raised premiums in future, consider them just cutting you a cheque. But, leave it up to them what they want to do, and do not cut corners on the repair, to be a nice guy. Do it right. That'll likely mean they do file a claim.

What's involved is still up in the air until you get it professionally/fully assessed. It could be the bumper is repairable. You'd be surprised. And after, it will look like new, be done well. It also could be there's hidden damage, bumper supports, radiator brackets, body sheet metal distorted.

The paint also needs to be "blended in". You can't just tack on a fresh bumper; it will stand out. The bumper needs to be painted, and then the paint extended to adjacent bodywork, thinned out in stages and moving further from the original repair zone, until they're shooting nothing but clear coat. It's almost like a magician's trick.

#9 Mendel Leisk, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    RCO and PriusLe9end like this.
  10. bbunge

bbunge Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bumper on the C cost over one thousand dollars and that was three years ago!

P01M ?

11. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine is just the regular 2018 Prius

I think this is the paint code
    Hypersonic Red Tricoat
    Color Code: 3T7

12. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My friend is willing to pay out of pocket up to certain amount like 1500$ but anything more than that will file a claim. If my friend paid out of pocket for the repair at dealer will this be reported to insurance? Will this parking lot accident on record effect the value of my car? You point out one of my worries which it is the hidden damages. The whole reason I got a brand new Prius because I am so sick and tired of my old car which I bought used. I spend so much time at mechanic repairing hidden problems here and there throwing away thousands of dollars. That's what tick me over to get a brand new car. I don't want to have the same repair problem with this car.
    I want to get a full examination of the car making sure nothing else is damaged.
    I am just worried this minor parking lot accident will be used against me in the future if my car is due a repair under warranty, and dealer will just brush off saying that the problem is due to your accident.
    I can't afford the constant repairs especially when it is a 2018 car.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A real friend shouldn't have a problem paying his deductible to his insurance company.

HPrimeAdvanced, fotomoto and Tande like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dealerships typically don't do bodywork, and that's what this is. Nobody is going to "report you to insurance", but I really don't understand this concern.Insurers are your equals, you hired them for just this sort of scenario, and it's a bit absurd to be hiding things from them. And there is no harm in talking to them, getting a bodyshop assessment, and then deciding which way you want to go.

Yes it will. In the States insurers are more willing to compensate for diminished value, than up here. That said, this sounds minor. By the way, how about some pictures, that'd clarify the scope a bit.

A good body shop will do that.

If your car is repaired by a fully qualified body shop, you should have no future warranty problems. Keep all paperwork. And you shouldn't be out any amount in the repair, it's 100% on your friend, and likely best he and you both contact your insurers.

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, if you could take a pic of the damaged area that would help with post mortem...How fast was the impact? Did more than one (1) area of the car get hit?? How bad was his damage???

That amount may be just about right, what is your deductible? If you have to use insurance and you should not ave to pay deductible if indeed he hit you!

Probably not, but ask the body shop. If it is, you might as well use insurance, since the question will be asked, "Who hit you, where is HIS insurance??

If it is a "minor" incident and only the bumper wrap is dinged, not very much. If the entire bumper has to go, it will effect the value a bit, but don't lose sleep over it, it's not worth it!

Hence my question, how badly is your car damaged, pics would be nice, especially a shot looking up at the underside of the bumper.

Go get an oil change at your Toyota dealer, ask them to take a look at the bumper area when it's up on the lift, explain your concerns to him. Ask him if there's any notable concerns or problems, get the results in writing, then they can't bring up warranty issues!

I have to ask this one......
    Does your friend even have car insurance??????

HPrimeAdvanced and PriusLe9end like this.
  16. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HPrimeAdvanced and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It won't affect your warranty, unless not repaired correctly.

Insurance will only be involved if you or your friend report it. The body shop won't - at least here, they don't.

Some dealerships here have body-shops - my last minor accident (a FORD) was repaired by the BMW dealership - excellent work, except the paint repair was better than the rest of the paint (South African build).

But - that accident, a back bumper, which was barely visible (2 screws had left an impression in the bumper) - cost $1500 to repair 5 years ago.

From your description, your repairs could well be more than that - plus, your friend's damage needs to be kept in mind too - if he claims, he'll get both fixed on the same insurance claim.

HPrimeAdvanced and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I the reason I don't want to contact insurance because I don't want that to be on record which might effect the value of my car and my friends car is pretty new too. Is there way to find out what kina accident will be reported to car reporting agency's (ex car facts ) only the major ones or regardless minor or major will all be reported when you contact insurance? I took the picture when I was very frustrated hope it is clear enough. basically there is a tear on the bumper that you can see the metal frame behind it and there paint coming off which can't really see too well due to the dust and sunlight. Furthermore both of those front sensor are in the impacted area which I worry might be damaged. red car stuff.jpg

19. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He does. My car currently has less than 500 miles don't need oil change lol. Will it be weird just to bring it in have them look at it? Will they charge a fee for looking at it? when the dealer exanimate the car get them to put the dialogistic in writing make sure there are no other issue then I can refer back to that document if there are future warranty issue?

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's really minor.

My wife was parked in a mall a few months back, someone creased rear corner bumper, admitted responsibility. We filed a claim, they did too. A few weeks later: in and out of our favourite body shop, same day, just a bit of repair and paint.

Before and after:

IMG_8061.JPG

upload_2018-3-18_19-57-47.png
    (They even fixed the dreaded 3rd gen saggy-butt rear bumper syndrome. :))

#20 Mendel Leisk, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    RCO, KK6PD and krmcg like this.