1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help... new 12volt, now car won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LTH1973, Aug 28, 2012.

1. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Whoa!!!! Yeah, it would be a major PITA in a 2G... Thanks for clearing it up for me.

2. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So did I (2G 2009).

I fail to see how anyone could jumpstart this wrong. Unless older Prii are different I would even go as far as to say that I don't even believe this is ever done in reverse polarity.

I have seen (and done) stupid things, but this is nigh on impossible to get wrong. Even if one is colorblind, you could only mess this up if you did it deliberately!

My jumppoint (assuming it is that) is covered by a plastic lid, and another RED plastic lid that says "+" on it. The negative jumppoint would be any bolt on the chassis (or did I miss a specific point for this?).

Any time an AA, AAA, ANWB or other similar company/person puts the red jumplead on the chassis, he does this for one of two reasons:
    (1) he thinks it's a car with a possitive chassis. Since this is pretty rare for a car after ~1970, this is a srange assumption to make so he'd better be darn sure.
    (2) he hates the car and wants to wreck it. I know not all people love Prii and hybrids, but I find this hard to swallow.

So since (1) and (2) are nearly impossible, I must therefor conclude neither ever happens in worthwhile quantities. Do you agree dr. Watson?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are more than a million Prius driving around in the US. What is your idea of a worthwhile quantity on that base?

Unfortunately, the stories posted on PC indicate it is not a good idea to assume that everyone equipped with a set of jump cables can tell red from black and + from - , and understands exactly why it is important to distinguish those. Someone else's mistake might cost you a four-digit repair as a Prius owner, and you get to decide whether that risk is acceptable for you to bear. I personally think it is better to ensure the 12V battery is in good condition, to reduce the likelihood of a no-start problem stemming from that.

4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By my challenging it ever happenend at all, I was mostly just stressing that anyone with an IQ above 50 shouldn't make this mistake. Ever. Even when doing it 50 times a day. Everyday.

What I did not consider, and what might make it 'worthwhile' even in small quantities is the damage it might create in a Prius vs. any other car. Because in my view, it should be hooked up the wrong way around in other cars just as often percentage-wise.

But if I cannot assume an AAA representative can jumpstart a car, then what's next, a politician actually working for the people?

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've often wondered how anyone could go that too. I think that some of these cases may be due to people not knowing about the front jump point and going straight onto the battery in the rear. It's still a pretty hard mistake to make, since the +ive of the battery has a big red cover on it, but I think the mistake is probably a bit more likely in this case.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It may be that at the Prius end things are connected correctly but at the other end of the jump leads there may be just two battery terminals not clearly marked, possibly just a small +&- sign stamped in the top of the battery so this is the end that the mistake could be made.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah that's a good point.

Maybe also some people just going "the one on the left goes to the one on the left" or something stupid like that.

8. The nice thing about the PIP is that everytime one charges the HV at the wall outlet, the 12V is also being charged. Dead battery problem eliminated.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh wow thats cool, I did not know that. So the Inverter is active too during charging?

10. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have attached a couple of my certificates to show I have experience in this area. Trust me, it happens all the time.

Attached Files:

11. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would imagine some of the electronics in the car would have to active during charging.

12. Yes, I presume so, not much technical information on the PIP yet, it is an incredible car tho!

13. Robert@bkbs

Robert@bkbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, if a jump start is botched, would everything act normal as far as dash lights lighting up and fans turning on just the car not starting? 08 prius at my shop has been at toyota dealer for 3 days and they say that they just want to start replacing computers until they find the problem. Anything specific i can check?

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the cost of throwing new ECUs at the problem is going to be borne by you, then I suggest you ask your dealer to contact Toyota for help.

15. ="Robert@bkbs, post: 1633074, member: 97253"]So, if a jump start is botched, would everything act normal as far as dash lights lighting up and fans turning on just the car not starting? 08 prius at my shop has been at toyota dealer for 3 days and they say that they just want to start replacing computers until they find the problem. Anything specific i can check?[/quote]
    This looks like your first post on this thread, to answer your question, NO, the dash would not be normal, I assume that restarting and rebooting has been tried since it is at the dealers. Just replacing modules is not the proper procedure, unless you are rich. With a Toyota scan guage ( not he proper name ) the dealership can find DTCs that pinpoint the problem. 12 V Bat has been proved good? that is 12.3 to 12.5 minimum? If this troubleshooting method that the dealership is employing is free, then let them have a ball.

16. Robert@bkbs

Robert@bkbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are charging me thats why i have resourced to this forum now. I have done the diag test with the display that shows the voltage of the battery. It reads 12.4v. I assume thats fine. Our scan tool at my shop will not connect with the ecu on this vehicle.

The dash all lights up like normal, but if you let it sit for about 10 seconds, the fuel gauge will flash and so will the gear selector. If you try to put it in gear, it will take it out of park, and then start flashing. I appreciate any help or ideas you guys might have for me!

HELP HELP HELP!!!! | PriusChat this is the original thread i posted and then was directed here.

18. Have you rebooted 2-3 times? Any change in symptoms, 12v terminals are clean and tight ? Check! Sorry for all this simple stuff. Without DTCs not much can be guessed at.

19. Robert@bkbs

Robert@bkbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will once it gets towed back from the dealer. Its on the way and should be here here anytime.

20. You say you have a normal dash and a new 12V Bat, so the 12v supply seems good, altho low for a new battery, so put a 3 Amp charger on it for some time OR PROPERLY JUMP IT, and try again. Should that solve the problem run the car, that is leave it in ready for at least 8 hours, to give the battery a good charge, you understand reboot?