1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help... new 12volt, now car won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LTH1973, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Robert@bkbs

Robert@bkbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12v is not new but i did try a jump starter which didnt work, and charging it didnt work. Thats why im so confused. I wasnt the one who initially tried to jump start it so i dont know if the polarity was hooked up reversed, but i figured if it was, then we would have some other signs to show us.

2. R carthout knowing positively I
    THEN we are back to rebooting, it looks like the 100 Amp fuse is good as the dash is normal. Without knowing IF the polarity was reversed, we are lost.. PCers say once reversed it is SHOT. YOU CAN ALSO TEMPORARILY TAKE THE 12 Volt out of your other car, remove the Prius 12V and connectupthe other 12V, With jumpers,properly. If that fixes the problem thenyouneed another new 12Vfor the Prius.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your original post indicates that substantial welding was done on the car. That may have caused damage to the ECUs (Prius has multiple ECUs, not just one as one of your posts stated.)

From IG-OFF, what happens when you depress the brake pedal hard, and then push the POWER button?

Does the READY light appear? Please take sharp photos of the dashboard and MFD showing all warning lights and messages, and post.

4. Robert@bkbs

Robert@bkbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So quick update, car just got towed back after toyota had no idea. Only issue is now the power steering doesnt work. Everything else works. They claim they didnt do anything to it. What can i check. the 50A fuse is good. What else could it be? Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. So, Toyota did nothing, except Power Steering does not work NOW, what did Toyota do? Why didn't they drive it back? They knew the PS was out?

6. Robert@bkbs

Robert@bkbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, toyota "diagnosed" it and didnt know what to replace or where to start. They dont even know that the car runs and drives yet. I know its not the motor as i checked it and its not getting power supply to it. I have another 08 im debating swapping the ecu where the motor plugs into and see if that fixes the problem.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you Patrick for your earlier circuit descriptions.

Since I'm not an EE, about the only experience I have that seemed bad in terms of reversing polarity was in a computer architecture lab I had to take in college. We worked w/breadboards and MSI (medium scale integration) chips (contained flip flops, inverters, multiplexers, etc.). We always had to hook up Vcc and ground to the proper pins on each chip. Once we accidentally reversed it on a chip and the chip got REALLY hot. These chips normally don't even get warm, under normal use.
    Don't assume that people (non-roadside assistance people) who can see colors and the + and - know how it should be done. In college >15 years ago, my minivan's (93 Dodge Caravan) battery died, I guess because I left a light on.

When I went to jump it, I was w/some folks on my (dorm) floor (one a helper and some others who tagged along, since we were going somewhere) and one guy thought the proper procedure was to use reverse polarity. :eek: He didn't use those words but thought red was supposed to go to black and black to red.

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Since you are in the SF area, there are two very good, independent hybrid repair stations that KNOW what they are doing. They are:
    • Luscious Garage
    • Art's Automotive
    Get your Prius to one of them.

JeffD

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Who me? I haven't been reading this thread that carefully, but I have no issue w/my car.

I was talking about how some college classmates of mine (>15 years ago) didn't know the proper procedure for jumping. I did.

10. Robert@bkbs

Robert@bkbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Figured it out. It fried the EPS ECU. Have one on order and it will be here tomorrow morning.

11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It baffles me that Toyota can't figure that out? Glad you did though. Do you think the welding you were doing fried it? If so I wonder if there are best practices for welding on a Prius? I mean disconnecting the HV battery and regular battery makes sense but that wouldn't of protected the EPS ECU? Or would it?

12. Good show!

13. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's shocking...:cry:
    Guess it is a good thing they recently added an engine-bay check to the driving exam in the Netherlands. Not sure what it entails exactly, but iirc you have to e.g. know where the brake-fluid is and tell the tester if its level is OK.

(BTW, speaking of stupid things, I am trying to revive a carbattery and knowingly shorted the poles with a long cable yesterday (about 0.3ohms, so some 30-40amps in theory) to load it for a few minutes. One of the gripper-clamps I was using started smoking :ROFLMAO: It survived, but just to show I really DO do stupid things on a regular basis...)

[​IMG]

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After the power steering ECU is replaced you will have to have a "zero point calibration" done. This can be done by some alignment shops or the dealer.

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It's getting off topic but this reminded me that I used to be puzzled by the "AUDIO OUT" and "AUDIO IN" terminals on the back of my cassette deck and receiver. "OUT" from what and "IN" to what? Which one goes to which?

17. Robert@bkbs

Robert@bkbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    car is at the dealer right now getting this performed!!!

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds like all systems go.

19. carriedi

carriedi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an 08 prius and the 12 volt battery went low and park would work. you could tell the battery was low because the door locks went very slow. not the usual big clunk from the actuator. There were all sorts of warning light on the dash and the start button was lit orange not the green it should be. Scanner read that there was a fault in the park so transmission was turned off. It wouldn't start with a normal jump. ie. connect jumper and crank engine... You had to connect the jumper and wait until the battery actually charged up over a specific voltage. then the power button worked normally. Had to clear the trans code and everything was back to normal.