1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! Red triangle light + high coolant temp light...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pierreuse, May 6, 2017.

1. Pierreuse

Pierreuse New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After months of lurking, decided to create an account because I'm stumped.

I have an 07 Prius with around 123,000 miles. I just had a full diagnostic done at Toyota dealership the other day and all that was returned was ABS has an internal leak and the air filter is dirty. I'm currently talking to the used dealer I bought it from about replacing the ABS sometime next week, most likely Thursday. Last night, I started getting intermittent red triangle light flashing + beeping, screen said "Problem" and would show the "high coolant temp" signal before switching off. Light + beeping + low coolant signal would reappear every few minutes. Had a full service oil change done this morning, all my fluids checked and air filter replaced, but problem persists. What now???

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    start by checking the 12v.
    if that is okay, you will need to read the codes.

3. Pierreuse

Pierreuse New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12V was replaced less than a month ago. I'll take it to have the codes read tomorrow. :) Thanks!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just wondering if the oil guys might have left the car on while working.

5. Pierreuse

Pierreuse New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, I was inside it. Had it done at Valvoline and it was definitely off.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the coolant level okay? i think you have to pull the shroud and look inside the radiator.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  7. Pierreuse

Pierreuse New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I had them top off the coolant and they said my coolant level was good. I'll check it tomorrow morning before getting the codes read, though.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "ABS has an internal leak"" See this thread: Brake Actuator Assem - Warranty Enhancement | PriusChat

"all my fluids checked": If you see that an overheating warning has appeared, it is almost guaranteed that whoever checked the engine compartment fluids did NOT remove the black plastic cover over the radiator to look at the coolant level in the radiator. At best they might have filled the overflow container. I recommend that you do that now, and see what you can find. Do not continue to drive the car in this condition.

9. Pierreuse

Pierreuse New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Codes are:

C1341
    P0117
    P1116
    P1121

The first looks to be related to the ABS leak and the rest are all coolant related.

Checked inside the radiator and fluid looked good. Light/signal are coming on less frequently, but they are still coming on. I am out of money to spend on this car until Friday. Mechanic said it was safe to drive (just to work and back, around 20mi/day) until then, is he right?

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably lost the fan belt off the front of the engine. It's only job is to turn the engine water pump.
    The bad design of the g2 is there is no alarm thrown when fan belt fails except you will see temp gauge alarm. But given aluminum head
    after you see it twice usually the damage is done and head warps or blows head gasket.

if the fan belt intact the water pump may bad as reflected by leaking weep hole and dried green flecks all over the front of the engine.

G2 motor toughest little motor ever but very unforgiving of overheat or run on low oil.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As Ed suggested, a worn engine coolant pump bearing is a likely reason for the engine coolant to be low. Typically you will see a whitish or pinkish stain on the inside of the coolant pump pulley and this may also be deposited on the air conditioner compressor housing and/or sprayed on the noise reduction pad on the underside of the hood. If this is visible then the engine coolant pump needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately C1341 is not one of the DTC recognized by the brake actuator TSB as qualifying for the extended warranty coverage.

DTC P0117 indicates that the cylinder head temp sensor is reading 140 degrees C (284 degrees F). The normal operating temp is 185-195 degrees F. This might be caused by a short circuit in the wiring harness leading to the sensor.

DTC P1116 and P1121 implies that either the engine coolant valve is stuck, or else there might be air trapped in the coolant heat recovery system loop.

If you hear air bubbling in the cabin heater core when you turn on the cabin heater, that is further evidence that air is in the coolant loop.

I've previously posted on how to purge air out of the engine coolant loop, and if you have time to work on that it might be worth your while. See my posts 22 and 42 here: Changing engine coolant | Page 2 | PriusChat

If you must continue to drive the car over the coming week I suggest that you check the engine radiator level daily in the morning as well as in the evening before you commence your homeward bound commute, and add fluid as needed to keep the radiator full.

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Pat-

Or the head actually saw the 248F. If so I would expect it to become damaged. Not having a temp gauge is a killer.

13. LCG

LCG New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How would u check to see if the head is warped or the head gasket is blown?

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Loss of coolant in the rad. Don’t use overflow tank as evidence must take black plastic cover off and open cap on rad. Don’t bother screwing that black plastic cover it back on it gets trapped by the hood when u close the hood. With cover loose it’s very quick and easy to check rad level. Overflow tank will show coolant even if the rad is empty.

The rad should not lose one drop of coolant. Coolant level in both the inverter and the ice rad has not moved a drop in years on my g2.

#14 edthefox5, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018