1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with AC Please. 2009 Prius. Blowing not cold air.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SunMan, Aug 28, 2019.

1. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That makes a lot of sense. Because no matter what power its getting from the inverter, instructed by the amplifier, it should accept charge. I have read somewhere that the amps should go from 0 to 16 on a healthy compressor, and that you can see it in techstream but I haven't been able to find that screen. I haven't been able to find a lot of instructions on techstream either.

If that is the case, would that be repairable if opened up the compressor.

Thanks for the reply

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The AC power drawn is shown as kw.

I believe it's in one of my photos, In the "hybrid control" ecu tab? I'll take a look again.

Yup, right in the middle of the screen. "A/C Consumption Pwr". Pretty sure it was the hybrid control live screen.

IMG_4321.JPG

3. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I will try to lookup mine tomorrow. Do you remember was the AC on at the time of this reading? If not can post a screen of the live data while the AC is on, so it can be compared? I think we might be somewhere.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. You don’t know why the shaft broke. The possibilities still include “because the pump is now a welded lump of slag.”

I’d say it’s even probable.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty sure it was in Auto, set to MAX COLD, fan was running on high speed, but outside air temp was around 75 at the time.

If the compressor has failed, it's not going to be anywhere close to a DIY repair, other than perhaps replacing the compressor with a used one.

6. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So here are the new live snapshots. Hybrid Control Live and AC Live. My consumption in KW is lot less than yours. I am not sure what to make of it. Can some experienced person translate please. Thanks.

Attached Files:

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Spinning like crazy and pulling no current/kw. Means there is no resistance to the spinning. Perhaps the compressor is broken internally and the motor is just freewheeling. Or it's just not turning at all and those RPM numbers aren't true for some reason. Are you able to actually hear the AC motor spin? At 9k rpm, it seems like it should make some noise.

8. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I hear the compressor making whining noise. And I know that it's not just the cooling fan. Because when I test the cooling fan it doesn't make that whining noise.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think that puts the A/C inverter off the hook, and pretty well condemns the compressor.

Get the gas recovered, flush out all the powdered former compressor that is likely in the lines, and install a secondhand compressor.

Then get it oiled, vac’d and filled back at the pro shop.

10. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It makes sense. I will be doing all the work. Can you tell me what should I flush the lines with. I haven't been able to find that info anywhere.
    Also I was thinking of going ahead and buying an inverter, amplifier, and the compressor. Do you think that might be going overboard? Its just that have an ebay coupon for 8%. Then either keep or resell the unused part(s)? Thanks for your input.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn’t bother with the inverter or amplifier. I might replace the condenser though, just to not have to clean the old one. I’ve never done a cleanout like that before, not sure what to suggest.

12. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Appreciate that. I think a couple of other components are recommended too while replacing the compressor like Receiver Drier etc. Do you remember or recommend?

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    yeah, change the drier sac while it’s all open.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No. Nonononononono. The, motor, which is three-phase, would not turn at all, if you weren't feeding it a three-phase AC waveform. Feeding it DC would not make it turn at full speed, or at any speed. It would be stationary and make smoke.

15. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pricing the compressor on eBay. Not gonna do the dryer. Read it's very cumbersome and you have to replace the condenser as well. Will live and learn. If it happens next time due to the condenser, at least I would have gone thru it once. Will get I134a from the wally world and nd-11 or equivalent from the bay. Will get the AC flush from AAP to flush my hoses. Not sure yet if I am going to use that flush in the replacement compressor. Requires more research. Will evacuate the system, and give it a very good vac before recharging. Will initially charge the high side to 50 psi. And the rest thru the low side with system on.

If that does not work out, replace the inverter. The last step would be to replace the amplifier.

Thanks for everyone's help. Will update the final verdict.

Comments are welcome, if I missed anything or I am thinking in right direction.

Learning something new everyday.

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you’re doing the fill yourself, be precise. A little low = half the cooling power. A little high = busted compressor again.

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

#37 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you open the system (as you will) you ought to replace the drier. If it's easier to replace the whole condenser than just the dryer, then fortune is steering you in the direction of replacing the condenser instead, which might be doing you a favor anyway, sparing you from trying to get all the compressor powder out of the old one.

A list that long of things to research suggests the outcome at a shop might be more dependable.

Skibob likes this.
  19. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Charge 15.9 oz (450 grams) of R134a while you are under vacuum. Weight your refrigerant canister gross before you start and again when you finish. The difference should be how much R134a went in. Since each canister is about 12 oz you should do that for 2 canisters.

20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those without the means, @lech auto air conditionin suggests using 99+% Isopropyl for cleaning hoses, gauges, etc.

Check out his posts, as there is a bunch of knowledge to be learned.

The links below might be of interest, as they mention cleaning with Isopropyl as an alternative, and DIY testing of equipment.

A/C issue | PriusChat

Adding R134a to Prius AC question | PriusChat