1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with AC Please. 2009 Prius. Blowing not cold air.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SunMan, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You might also take this opportunity to install brand new o-rings on the lines connecting to the compressor, and possibly new Schrader valves on the lines. Cheap way to refresh pretty much everything that has a soft seal.

Skibob likes this.
  2. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had given that a serious thought. I will see what's involved and price a condenser out too. The funny thing is even though you can buy the drier separately but you can't just replace the drier, as far as I know.

This one I am just going to ride out myself whether I fail or succeed.

3. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds good. Thanks

4. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I've been looking for an O-ring kit too. And schrader valve had crossed my mind, because the high side makes a hiss noise when I unscrew the cap but the low side does not. Thanks for the reminder.

5. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! that's great info. Thanks. Reading thru now.
    I read some suggestion of cleaning with mineral spirits, methanol, lacquer thinner, Isopropyl for the system and Ester oil to flush the compressor. But wasn't sure if they could damage the rubber/plastic parts, but coming from @lech auto air conditionin Isopropyl 99% sounds like a viable solution. I also read somewhere that newer (parallel) condensers and driers should not be flushed, also compressor, drier, and expansion valves. I guess that only leaves out the lines. Might as well replace the condenser with drier. Does anybody suggest changing the pressure hoses too, while I am at it?

#45 SunMan, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find that hard to believe. Is the dryer soldered on or something?

7. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems like it. One of the poster was not able to separate it. And I think toyota instructs to replace condenser/dryer together.

Skibob likes this.
  8. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well after ChapmanF's recommendations I researched more and decided to replace the condenser/drier as well. What really inspired me was the Scott Kilmer's video that shows how tiny the holes on a parallel condenser are. For all I know, condenser could have been one of the factors to kill the compressor. I am getting a Denso condenser and leaning towards a reman Four Seasons 98360 compressor. I would like to buy the one without harness because it is cheaper. I am confused by this expert's picture, attached here, which is showing that there is an inverter on the compressor too which converts DC to AC. Does any experienced person know if this converter is built into the compressor or the harness. Because if it is built into the compressor then I can use the old harness and save money. I am also going to get o-ring kit. Can someone guide me as to which ones I should replace. Also are the AC schrader valves same size or do I have to get toyota specific. I was also thinking about replacing the expansion valve. Isn't it behind the glove compartment and difficult to change? What about the pressure switch. Isn't there a schrader valve too. Is it a good idea to replace the pressure switch and the schrader valve underneath it? I would really appreciate someone's guidance here, because I have to buy all required parts by the end of today. Thanks compressor.jpg

9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see what you mean about the dryer. It looks like you install a new bag in that pipe on the side of the condenser. New Denso condenser is 52.79 plus shipping from rock auto. Including dryer. That’s not that much more than a regular dryer alone.

SFO likes this.
  10. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! thanks. I was looking at an ebay one for $62. Thanks man.

11. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    question?. Are you right at the compressor your self as it first turns on or attempts to turn on?. You have stated some times it comes on some times it dose not come on. some times they can act funny, intermittently work. Then for a time start going into to a call to engage but ether nothing happens or you will hear a small click ( a attempted engagement ) Put your finger on the high side line off the compressor wait for a few call for engagement., at the same time on Tech stream you will see a watt draw for a sec then off. If you have a amp meter around one wire to the compressor you will see power draw, it may be fast on off.

If you relay hear it spinning and your gauges don't move it's bad compressor. If you see a dark or even the slightest grey film on the inside of the sight glass the compressor got really hot before it died. I still to this day never got lucky to see a bad inverter for the a/c. Most were bad diagnosis and the customer was charged for something they did not need. At the same time a lot of other parts got changed.

When you take the compressor off and it's dirty inside, replace the condenser, no if ands or buts about it. go to my album page you will see lots of photos in side of what goes bad.

SFO likes this.
  12. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    By the way many times a customer will go into a shop with poor or no cooling because of low refrigerant After the TECH trys to top off (add refrigerant he burns up the compressor. Some times they know (OOPPSS) Some times they do not even know enough that they just destroyed the compressor, some times it makes no sound.
    Then they come to the customer with a bill saying.(" customer your compressor is bad here if the list of parts you need $$$$$.

BTY do not flush out your compressor with solvent or alcohol. GOD I KNOW IT WOULD BE TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT? :-(. Using alcohol 99% or higher is not recommend. It is just a last ditch poor mans stuck out in the boonies on a old car not worth fixing or labor is free and parts are cheap to do it again.
    Should replace the expansion valve, 7 hours labor. schrader valves , just replace them. Vacuum leave it on over night.

PLEASE do not mention (!!! Scott Kilmer's video!!!) This was the IDIOT !!! who used to teach people just use a can of freeon and a hose to top of A/C in a car. How easy and cheep it was . How people were getting ripped off by shops, ( but that part was 85+5 time was TRUE. Only after thousands of people launched their compressors. I went back to some of his old videos and riped him a new A$$H@@L. I sent him info and links to educate him self. explained all the things wrong.
    Guess what. I seen his last A/C video . not half bad a big improvement. The same goes for some of the other BIG YouTube mechanics they were good and even excellent at other areas of automotive but sucked at and even dangerous.

OK thats it for now. May Kilmer be with you LOL

SFO likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like you found yourself a picture of a Gen 3 compressor. In Gen 3 the compressor is fed straight 201.6 VDC from the battery, and contains its own inverter circuit (cooled by the refrigerant).

But your car is a 2009, so you want a Gen 2 compressor, which does not contain an inverter. It's just a plain 3-phase motor (three orange wires connect to it, not just two like Gen 3), and they are fed from the inverter/converter assembly above the transaxle. The compressor drive inverter is inside that assembly.

Not coincidentally, between Gen 2 and Gen 3, the price of the inverter/converter assembly went down, and the price of the compressor went up. :)

SFO likes this.
  14. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks man, been waiting. I know you're busy. So glad you came across this post.
    Ever Since it stopped cooling the compressor had been off. But when I connected techstream for the 1st time, without doing anything, the compressor starting turning, and came on every time I turned on AC but no cooling. At times I thought it was louder than usual, but mostly it was regular whining sound. I know for sure that it is spinning. As far as the AMPs go, checked in techstream and it was only drawing 0.117 KW while the compressor was on vs a working screenshot of TMR-JWAP which showed 0.666 KW (whoa triple 6). My site glass is crystal clear, no bubbles either and I do see some liquid. Yeah, thanks to TMR-JWAP and Leadfoot J. McCoalroller not pursuing the inverter route yet. No, not going to argue about replacing the condenser either. I have already ordered a reman four seasons compressor and denso condenser. I might be getting a bad idea, do you think I should check for debris in the compressor or just replace the condenser regardless? I have seen your album just recently. that kinda made up my mind.

15. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since I'm getting a reman compressor, flushing would be out of the question. But the seller says that it will come without any oil. Huh, weird. But I got me some IDQ A/C PRO Hybrid Compressor Oil, which nd-11 compatible. I will be honest with you that I am not planning on changing the expansion valve, have to take the dashboard down and all, and I can't I flush it either. What else should I flush. I have ordered the 99% alcohol, 12 16oz bottles, may come handy for future YEARS. I am thinking both hoses, and not sure what else. You think I should replace the schrader valve under the pressure switch too, if there is one. Got me some robinair vacuum pump oil, will leave the vacuum on overnight.

Honestly, when I 1st watched Scott Kilmer's videos, I thought what an idiot do people really listen to him. What a joker. Until I came across his video about emission testing. I was having a hell of a time getting my frontier to pass the emission, but his trick worked. Which by the way I had been doing for a few years, without understanding the actual process. His video explained it, and now it takes me less time and efforts. My truck is a spare. Last time I drove it for emission only. So I know that I am not polluting the atmosphere. Those O2 sensors are PIA to replace on a frontier. I will get around it in near future. I only mentioned that I saw tiny holes in the cut out parallel condenser that he shows. But I do gotta respect the guy, because I got benefitted twice by his videos. Can't ignore that.

If you can, please post about what else should be flushed.

16. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The funny thing is that he talks about the 2nd gen prius in that article. But it never made any sense to me as why there might be a need of two converters, one in the inverter and one the compressor. Maybe I was too tired while reading it, or maybe the fear of the unknown. But I feel better now, thanks.

17. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is the update. Opened the compressor, and sure enough it is broken. TMR-JWAP and Leadfoot J. McCoalroller were dang right. Thanks guys. Those RPM's of 10K may have been right too. Attaching picture. Next I wanted to see how much debris it may have passed towards the condenser. I was able to take out the bag and dryer filter without removing the condenser. It does not seem much, comparing to the others in lech auto air conditionin photo album. Regardless, it would be smart to go ahead and replace the condenser. Now my only worry is that I am not planning to replace the expansion valve, and it's eating me to think if it is a good decision. Seeing very few metal shards on the dryer filter and the bag, kinda indicates that not much may have passed to the evaporator and the expansion valve. The oil's color looks good too and I can hardly see any metal shard in there, although I see a lot of air bubbles. I measured 2 oz extracted oil from the compressor. I will flush both hoses. I wish there were a way to flush the evaporator. Will replace condenser/dryer. Will give it a good overnight vac. Change the accesible o-rings and schrader valves. Weigh and recharge 15.9 oz of walmart r134a (only), and verify in techstream.

A few questions
    Since 2 oz of oil came out from the compressor, and I am replacing the condenser, should I add 3 oz of the new oil to the compressor. The reman compressor is not supposed to have any oil in it, but I will check before mounting it. Another small concern, because I will add oil to the compressor prior to vacuuming, a tiny amount of oil would not get not get sucked out would it?

I was considering getting the flush and recharge done at the local dealership. Do they actually flush the system, and if they do with what and do they do individual components? I thought you are not supposed to flush the condenser, dryer, and the expansion valve. Unless they flush the system with Nitrogen.

Attached Files:

Aegean and Skibob like this.
  18. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like you’re doing pretty good .
    I’m not sure if I read all your post thoroughly how much oil came out of the old compressor .
    Or is that oil in your photo that looks very clean and clear your old oil not much time I just quickly glanced through a few posts not very thoroughly reading .
    If you’re not going after the expansion valve you can do all the blow through and flash of lines and hoses yourself out of all the shops one out of 100 it might be even one out of 1000 may use nitrogen they don’t like to spend money 98% of them don’t even know what nitrogen is.
    Read an article on oil balancing .
    After you flush everything with a new condenser you probably have an ounce in oil up in your evaporator . The system barely holds 3 ounces so if you put somewhere between 2 to 3 back into the new compressor even if you put three back in you would only be 1 ounce over charged or somebody new at this I rather have you somewhere close to an over a ounce over charge instead of under charged on oil. But more oil is not better.
    With all the work you’re doing if you had a friend or workmate or knew somebody who did some welding and they had nitrogen or argon gas. I would say pump up your system to 150 psi and let it set overnight and if it holds you’re good to go. Then throw it on the vacuum pump overnight and charge away .

Aegean likes this.
  19. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes that 2 oz oil is drained from the old compressor. So I will gor for 2.5 oz of new oil. And will blow through the lines and hoses with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Let it air out for an hour or so. I wish I knew someone who had nitrogen or argon. But for substitute, after a proper recharge, i'll check low/high pressure after a week and then after a month to see if holds and also verify in techstream. Definitely vac overnight before charging. I think letting it sit vac'ed with pump off for an hour should also indicate if there is any leak.

Thanks for you input. Looking at the old oil condition it made sense not to worry about the expansion valve. But coming from an expert re-assures. I really did not want to dismantle the dashboard anyway.

Now I have to sit and wait for the alcohol, schrader valves, and the o-rings. Already received the compressor and the condenser. Well, if Denso was not making enough money already, they replaced the old steel filter with a new plastic one. Pure greed. So if the plastic filter melts or gets brittle, will surely have to replace the evaporator and the expansion valve along with the condenser. Thought about using the old steel filter, but haven't done a close inspection yet. It certainly is not ditto. Also going to replace all four TPMS. Got the cheap eBay ones for $45. They say OEM, but I do not believe them. Will update on that too. Planning to replace the batteries on the old ones and keep for future, and maybe use one of them in the spare tire.

20. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If you know someone in a restaurant there are always CO2 cans for the soft beverage machines. Not the first choice since it has moisture but you will evacuate anyway. Many AC technicians have used it.