1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Helpful advice? Checking Carfax and Prius vs Corolla

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sapphire Dragon, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Sapphire Dragon

Sapphire Dragon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all! I am a longtime lurker but have recently gotten in an accident, and am now looking at my options. I wrecked the front end of my Kia (first car, donation from family) and am now looking at $8k in repairs, or so the shop says. Either way, I am faced with repairing or replacing or both- the first thought that came to mind was a Gen 2 Prius.

However, my husband owns an 05 Corolla with 197k miles and strongly recommends this over a Prius, due to concerns over the more complicated anatomy of a Prius and the related things that could go wrong. I've read through a few threads that go over this, and have essentially found that both cars are reliable but the biggest repairs (assuming battery is already replaced) would only be headlight or coolant related, and even then, none go above a few hundred for a dealer to repair. Additionally, the Prius maintains a higher resale value, on top of having a dedicated fan forum like the one here to troubleshoot any issues through.

I've been eyeing a specific 06 Prius that has a free Carfax, but seeing something on it made me concerned about my research; I saw that this one had both "Battery replaced" and "Hybrid battery replaced" and previously I thought that they were the same thing, so now I am wondering- do Prii have two batteries, and does this mean only the ones that mention hybrid batteries have had those replaced? At my current financial state I can't afford a battery replacement, so I am looking for those who have already had this done as a baseline.

I have also come across the wonderful Florida dealer who specializes in old Prii, Todd Thompson, who I found through your forums as well. I am also considering one of his Prii, but have noticed that he does not have free Carfax reports available, so this does still concern me. The one that I was considering from his inventory has a picture of what's under the hood as the very last picture. It is the blue one with 119k miles- I cannot post the link since I am new.

I have seen some other pictures of the hybrid battery featuring Toyota's stylized logo on the cover of it- so does this mean that the battery in Todd's Prius is a 3rd party? Or were they not stylized until later models? I want to be very cautious about what I get as there are limited finances involved all around. However, I don't want to just cheap out because I don't have enough saved yet- I'd also like to get a car that I can stick with and not want to sell later when my needs may change. I am not sure a Corolla could offer this- I have heard that the Prius is quite spacious (though I've never been able to test drive an old one, they are always sold out in our state). I plan on keeping what I buy now for several years until a good, long range, affordable EV is something within our reach. No kids planned, but lots of pets most likely, so space is a plus.

Any and all general advice would be appreciated, and I apologize for the long post! I'd like to make a good decision and be able to have it pay off in the long run. I also read that no matter what you read, you should get a good mechanic to look at your vehicle before purchasing. About how much do inspections like this cost, on average? If you have any other advice I'd love to read it. Thank you again!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your husband is probably correct if comparing Corrolla to newer Gen3 and Gen4 Prius... But the Gen2 Prius is a rare bird that's withstanding the test of time in astonishing ways. I'd suggest buying the nicest 2009 Prius you can find, and plan to spend a couple thousand dollars for a new hybrid battery in 3-5 years. For more info about how awesome a used Gen2 with 100K miles is, check out this thread: Did you buy a Prius with 100K+ miles? Share your story here! | PriusChat

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should get the Corrola if you cannot fix your own cars. Unless the Hybrid Battery Pack is a brand new Toyota Factory pack it most likely will not last. Additionally pet fur and a Prius is a bad mix. There is a vent in the back that sends cabin air thru the battery to cool it. Pet hair in that vent is very bad. I will add to the list of expensive repairs if you can’t do it yourself. It’s called the ABS actuator assembly.

#3 Skibob, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Sapphire Dragon likes this.
  4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The pet fur problem you cite is easily overcome with $2.50 and a pair of scissors. A light foam home air conditioner filter can be had at Home Depot for $2.50. Five to ten filters the size of the fan intake by the back seat can be cut out of it. The grill snaps out; just slide the foam in place behind it and snap it shut. No mechanic or tools required. Just replace it as desired. I replace mine every 6 months or so and I still haven't used up the first package I bought two years ago.

Skibob and Sapphire Dragon like this.
  5. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We really don't have all the right information to help you make a decision. The most important information needed is this: How is the car going to be driven? Is it going to be primarily a commuter car or used more around town (grocery shopping, doctor's visits, other short hops)? If it is going to be a commuter car, what is the commute like? How long? Average speed?

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know Todd he has been very cool to me I have bought lots of parts from him. Very honest.

But I think your husband is right. If he knows nothing about a Prius its a huge learning curve and for most people when a Prius fails its off to the dealer at $140 an hour (my autoway in clearwater). Hilarity on your purse soon occurs.

A Corolla is much much simpler and will be better for your marriage in the long run if you know what I mean.

Sapphire Dragon likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    corolla

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. Sapphire Dragon

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all so much for your advice! I am definitely leaning towards the Corolla, both due to inexperience in DIY repairs (and lack of time to do them, as he pointed out to me as well; we both work odd hours and have just gotten first house) as well as the ABS issue that @Skibob pointed out. That ABS issue appears to be affecting the exact model range I was looking at- it is scary, and seems to have already caused wrecks... brakes failing while driving is never a good time.

It is a commuter car. At least 16 miles to and from work, stores, or really any other place we'd go, so 32 miles a day. Plenty of time to warm up, which I think a Prius would fit well with in general. We are also planning to move to another state several hundred miles away in a few years, and would like a car that can take long trips well. My husband has driven across states for events in his Corolla and has never seemed to have any issues with it, so it looks like that's a plus. I would still lean towards the Prius if I had DIY experience, and if it didn't have the ABS issues appearing that it does now. Toyota skating out of repair costs by using specific error codes gives me a red flag for the issue in general, too. If it cost 500 or less, and wasn't a significant crash risk during driving, I would look over the issue, but... yeah. I've always wanted a Prius ever since I saw Gen 2 but this is a pretty big bummer.

Perhaps in a few years, if a good EV isn't out yet, I could snag a Prius that has had the brake repaired due to someone having to sell it for that reason?

9. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In your instance I would go with the Corolla. Based on the average figures being posted at fuelly.com and fueleconomy.gov you will realize a savings of only 2-5 gallons a month with the Prius. That's a small price to pay for the peace of mind you're going to have with the Corolla. Sure, you COULD wind up with a Prius that delivers around 50 mpg but those are anomalies, not the norm. The odds are probably about the same as getting a Corolla that will give you 40 mpg on your commute.

The stress of anticipating failures of major systems while driving is worth a lot. You don't need it. You're more comfortable facing a few more "smaller dollar" repairs than stressing over "big ticket" repairs that may or may not materialize. You're already familiar with the Corolla. They're both great cars, but since in this case there's not an obvious advantage to one over the other, go with your instinct.

Skibob and Sapphire Dragon like this.
  10. Sapphire Dragon

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My instinct does want to go Prius, but my wallet is saying Corolla. Instinct in this case is likely fueled by nostalgia; it's an icon that I'd love to own and take care of. You are right though; the peace of mind of not having major systems fail that I'm unable to DIY is worth the compromise, and the Corolla is also not a bad looking car, imo. Perhaps after the ABS dust starts to settle for Gen 2, or I talk directly with Todd to address that, I could get a good deal on one then. My eye is on a fully EV Prius in the future though, without having to retrofit engines via 3rd party, so my hopes are in that.

We really do appreciate your advice! Thank you all again for being honest and transparent about the facts.

srellim234 likes this.
  11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Corolla is a GREAT car, but so is a Prius. As I recall, the Prii w/SABs do better in crash tests than a same year Corolla, a VERY important factor in any car we purchase.

The Prius IS a complex car and any repair of the HSD system is likely to be costly, but they are also one of the most reliable cars made. As with ANY used car, you can be snake-bit; even a Prius or Corolla.

If you put a lot of miles on, especially in an urban setting and are a CONSERVATIVE driver, I would lean toward a Prius.

If you put on a modest number of miles and FE is not the biggest deal, a Corolla would be a good choice, especially if you don't get 100k on a set of brakes ;)

If you put on fewer than say 10k-12k miles year, have short commutes etc, get a Nissan LEAF :)