1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID to halogen conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by martinsw, Oct 25, 2013.

1. martinsw

martinsw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sick and tired of HID lights - have replaced mine twice already, going on third set - and now the ballast on one side is out (2006 prius with ~ 190,000 miles). Dealer wants $250 for a new ballast and I am not sure I like the idea of spending around $100 for used or rebuilt ballasts. There was a thread on this topic a few years back (I did search) but with only one reply about switching the entire assemblies. I am certain the entire plastic headlight housing assemblies from Toyota would be pricey, but maybe some junkyard parts might be less expensive than replacing one ballast now, and likely need to replace another in the not to distant future.

Does anyone know for certain how how much of the plastic headlight housing assemblies (if any) need changed? Can the black inner plastic be removed and replaced only? I am quite comfortable in rewiring the 12vdc for the low beam and 12vdc to control the hid reflector to run to a hi/lo beam halogen.

Thanks, Steve

2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    How about just go aftermarket? I have never had a part go bad but only had 2 systems.

I assume this was the cost to fix your OEM HID system? I'm surprised that the older HID systems uses reflectors were allowed to pass. Even with levelers, there's still a lot of glare no?

3. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Hey Steve, I used DDM Tuning HID Bulbs and Ballasts on my retrofit and had great luck with them. Their store is right here in SD.

4. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have DDM on one of my other cars. Thumbs up on quality!

5. Bill and Cindy

Bill and Cindy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Steve- Did you ever change out to the headlight from HID to halogen? We are on our 4th set of ballasts and bulbs and this time new Toyota dealer parts are not solving the issue. Still have the driver's side going out intermittently. Need to do something else, but uncertain if it will work to change out to Halogen or LED.

6. Soulbarer

Soulbarer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was able to do it with a little wire splicing. Worked like a charm:
    How to convert from hid to halogen | PriusChat