1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High speed mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bp1000, May 25, 2014.

1. bp1000

bp1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello from England

I picked up my used prius gen3 2 weeks ago and I have been getting use to it and so far loving it. I am already addicted to the game of pushing the possibilities of higher mileage.

I am achieving around 65mpg so far (this is UK mpg), around 57mpg US I think. I am extremely happy with the technical capabilities of this car and I appreciate the advise and videos posted here.

I have noticed something strange and I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly. Today at motorway (highway) speeds I noticed instant mpg was higher travelling at around a dashboard speed of 73-74mph compared to 68mph. I thought the higher you go over 60mph the less mpg you get.

Is there any truth to my observation, could it be 74mph sits at a more efficient rpm on the flat than 68mph?

I have pretty much concluded that this car seems to be calibrated to be most efficient bang on the speed limit in units of 10. Because the dashboard under reads by between 3-6mph it seems to be most efficient speeds are roughly, 33, 43, 54, 65, 74mph - a few mph either side especially at higher speeds seems to produce quite different results.

Keep in mind that Uk speedometers always under read by uk law, not sure if this is the case in North America.

2. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect I am telling more than I know, but I seem to remember someone posting a graph showing gen 3 efficiency peaks at 45 and again at 75 mph ??

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be closer to 54 mpg US. And because the display tends to read high, the real mpg is likely several counts lower.
    Not that we know about.

But many other factors could contribute to what you saw, and it would take considerable effort to control for or separate out all of them. Weather (breeze direction and speed), pavement condition, small and even imperceptible changes in road slope, changes in engine temperature (if not yet fully warmed), changes in traction battery charging or discharging, ignition timing under changing loads, climate control operation, etc., all contribute to mpg.

If the changes you saw are really rooted in some of these other factors, then I'd guess that as you experiment more, the observed changes not be fixed to particular speeds, but will shift around from test to test.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unless you're on a perfectly flat road with no winds, it's difficult to know. speedo is off 1-2 mph here too.

5. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know you said flat but maybe it was slightly going downhill? I've done 80mph (in cruise control) with my MPG readout close to 100.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The responses suggesting that you might have not been on the flat is because there is a lot of accumulated evidence that the probably isn't such a speed that is a 'sweet spot' for the Prius.

The faster you go, the higher your consumption will be. From around 40 - 45 mph upwards, air resistance will be the dominant force that burning fuel is used to overcome.

iPhone ?

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Methodology is important because it allows others to replicate the observation. That is why I use trip meter values over a 10 mile route under cruise control. I run two passes in opposite directions over the same routes. The tripmeter values do not include acceleration and deceleration. Then I average the two passes. Later, I use tank values to get a calibration factor for the indicated MPG.

When I replaced the original tires, I found both GPS and mile marker calibration offsets corresponded with the indicated vs tank calibration offset.

I am interested in looking for a way to replicate your observations. Perhaps using a video camera or an OBD recorder. Could you provide more details such as duration of the indicated MPG values?

Bob Wilson

cwerdna likes this.
  9. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Instantaneous fuel efficiency (MPG or L/100km) is misleading.

The overall average MPG over several gallons/liters of gasoline (which Bob Wilson has provided) is a better fuel efficiency metric.

If the Prius has enough momentum (e.g. from going 80mph with a tailwind) and slows down to 74 mph - there will be a short period of time where the instantanous fuel efficiency will be very high before the Prius slows down - When going down a long downhill roadway the Prius will shutdown its ICE and use its momentum instead of requiring addition energy from the power plant. However, unless your Prius is drafting behind a very big vehicle OR your Prius is going down a steep hill or mountain side - the Prius will slow down (especially on a flat road or uphill road) without additional power. At high speeds with cruise control off, the Prius will naturally slow itself down automatically if you take your foot off the accelerator by applying the regenerative braking system - the Prius regenerative braking will recharge the HV battery ( but when the Prius reaches its maximum State of Charge(SOC) of about 75% - it shuts down the ICE and goes on electric vehicle mode 100% of the time until the SOC drops below about 70%). However, regenerative braking is a lossy energy conversion (between 50% to 90% of the kinetic energy is lost as heat during this energy conversion) and the Prius likely won't get the best fuel efficiency when the Prius regenerative braking system is used to convert the Prius' kinetic energy (speed) to electrical energy. Unless the Prius is going over 65 mph (this assumes the Prius is not driving into the wind, aka head wind, or driving with the wind , aka tail wind ) - the loss from aerodynamic drag is much less than the loss from regenerative braking - preventing regenerative braking at high speed and driving lower than 65 mph is key to getting exceptionally high fuel efficiency on the Prius at very high speeds. This means to get the best fuel efficiency on a Prius at very high speeds the driver may not use cruise control, the driver must keep pressure on the accelerator, the driver must try to keep the Prius' speed under 65 mph, and the driver must monitor the HSI display to prevent regenerative braking from occuring. This can be very challenging on hilly or twisty roads.

#9 walter Lee, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  10. bp1000

bp1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can re-create this soon to test the theory but the initial observation was made on the same stretch of flat road after i bumped the speed up, I noticed the mpg improved. However like others have mentioned it could have just been a coincidence; as I bumped up the speed the gradient changed slightly.

I raised it as a question because after observing the result of this less than scientific test I searched on here for a graph plotting fuel consumption by speed and I found a graph by another European member on here. His graph took data from his reader to plot fuel consumption and 113kmph is 70mph which is roughly 74-75mph on the dash speedometer as the dash overreads by 4-6mph.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here is what I plotted on the first tank driving from the dealer where we picked it up:
    [​IMG]
    These were indicated until we measured the calibration factor. Subsequently, we found the tire diameter explained the calibration scale.

Bob Wilson

telmo744 likes this.
  12. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, are you able to comment on whether those apparent 'bumps' at 60 and 75 MPH are real or just within the noise level of the measurements? (I'm not sure what algorithm might have been used to draw those lines).

My understanding is that there isn't such a thing as a sweet spot speed for highway cruising, and would be grateful for your opinion on this.

Thanks.

iPhone ?

#12 GreenJuice, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I saw the bumps but did not have instrumentation good enough to further. I did get a miniVCI but it only records for 3 minutes at a time.

I am curious but do not have the tools to go further.

Bob Wilson

14. bp1000

bp1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to try a little experiment tonight as I thought my observation earlier was wrong.

I took a section of road that loops back and travelled at 55mph and 60mph on cruise control, I accelerated using exactly mid way on the pwr both ends of the road, I braked using signs so both speed tests were equal. I even matched speeds around the roundabout on the loop back. I tried to get everything as accurate as possible.

55mph = 70.4mpg (uk)
    60mph = 66.7mpg (uk)

Unfortunately I couldn't try 74mph vs 68mph because the speed limit didn't allow for a long enough test but I will try soon.

I did observe lower mpg the faster I went so I have no doubt that it would have carried on decreasing the faster I went.

This was on a warm engine too and the route had a big hill on it but the mpg result very impressive as only about 25% was flat road.

After that I had a go at hypermiling, resetting the trip and achieving 88mpg (uk) by the time i reached home. Incredible! Earlier in the day I tried to drain the battery just to see how long it lasted. I got to 5 miles and 99.9mpg with 3 bars left and gave up!

#14 bp1000, May 30, 2014
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One of the problem with "hypermiling" claims has been the absence of technical details:
    • What was the equivalent speed?
      • If the equivalent speed was 50mph, the "88mpg" means you've driven slower.
    • What 'hypermiling' specifications were used?
      • Speed ranges?
      • Acceleration profiles?
      • Accelerator pedal position?
    Now I did this without using 'hypermiling' techniques because I documented how:
    [​IMG]
    • cruise control speed set 26-27 mph - notice average was still "22mph" due to stop lights, signs, traffic.
    • shift into "N" anytime possible while maintaining 26-27 mph - in particular, looking for engine OFF
    • minimum 1 hour for each trip - ensures the warm-up penalty is diluted by 100 MPG operation
    Driving slower can easily achieve "88mpg." In fact, driving slowly can and does easily exceed "99.9mpg." For example, I did this in 2007 in a 2003 Prius:
    [​IMG]

I've also investigated Pulse and Glide. For example, using a speed range of 25-41 mph, I compared the cruise control and P&G equivalent speed (aka., block times.):
    [​IMG]
    The equivalent MPG:
    [​IMG]
    So Pulse and Glide 'works' provided you are willing to accept the higher, manual overhead of trying to use it in traffic. Even the SAE paper describing their testing says it should only be done on a close track . . . not in traffic. Some of us think safety is more important than an 11% fuel savings.

Bob Wilson

#15 bwilson4web, May 30, 2014
    GreenJuice likes this.
  16. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    if you want to understand where or why your Prius is more fuel efficiency in one instance or another
    you will need to tighten up your methodology - and record more different types of data points.
    ======================================================================

1. you have to exactly identify the road -route you took via google-earth to identify any elevation changes in the road. Why? Changes in elevation (gravity) can effect the overall fuel efficiency of a motor vehicle. Changes in momentum (like how sharp a turn is on a particular road/route) as well as how smooth the road surface you have selected is can effect the fuel efficiency of your vehicle .

2. You also need to identify the time and type of weather your Prius is travelling in. Wind direction and wind speed can effect fuel efficiency. Road surface condition can also affect fuel efficiency. The Prius ICE energy efficiency drops when the outside temperature falls below 50 degrees fahrenheit and when the road surfaces are wet or icy. Hence, you need to pay closer atttention to driving environmental factors.

3. You also need to describe the traffic conditions while you were driving and whether you drafted (drove closely behind another vehicle) too. Drafting is consider unsafe on roads where frequent stops or slow downs occur. Drafting can be done with some margin of safety when the lead vehicle is in constant radio contact with all following vehicles.

4. When gathering experimental data - you need to use a cold engine since a warm engine will give the Prius a variable and often unpredictable 10% to 20% MPG boost from the very start ( its like using an Engine Block Heater ).

5. The problem with using cruise control is that it will apply regenerative braking to slow down the car and regenerative braking loses 90% to 50% of all the kinetic energy as heat when trying to making electricity to store - and fuel efficiency wise its better to go a faster and lose a tad more from aerodynamic drag than to use regenerative brakings loss - if driving safety and/or getting a speeding ticket isn't an issue. This is not to say regenerative braking is bad - when you need to slowdown or stop - it can recover energy that would have been lost as heat - but it is a poor fuel efficiency substitute for actively managing the vehicles speed. Cruise control isn't terribly bad but it isn't the most fuel efficient way to drive - IMHO Cruise control best feature is that helps reduce driver fatigue when one is driving all day long.

BTW: There is a thread on Prius Chat's Gen3 Forum for posting the HSI display for a trip (IIRC it must be greater than 10 miles) where it reads 99.9 mpg.

#16 walter Lee, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm OK with 50% but the 90% is a bit excessive. Under cruise control, it is fairly modest in the energy levels so 50% is much closer to the observed values. I'm more concerned with the charging because it is exothermic, it makes our NiMH batteries hotter.

I would only add that I prefer to shift into "N" if I want to avoid regenerative losses BUT I grew up on manual transmission cars.

Bob Wilson

18. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just finished a 900+ mile road trip. It was all on the freeway, with the speed limits about half-and-half 65mph and 70mph. I am posting the final screen shot. I was able to get up to 60mpg in the 65mph zone, but not when the speed increased to 70mph. I drove at or above the limits and used the cruise control very sparingly. I used N not at all. I think the post about cruise and regen is right on. You have to stay out of regen unless there is a lengthy hill.

Attached Files:

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    gas.jpg This is the end of trip screen on the PiP while driving through Virginia. No EV was used, it was all HV.

bwilson4web likes this.