1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

High Speed MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by 09Prius2, Sep 15, 2016.

1. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed the only time I get around 40 or less is on the highway. This is probably due to running 80+ mph combined with the a/c running. This last tank I got close to 45 around town which is my best so far. So my question is, what are you guys getting when running all out on the freeway?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is well known that the fuel economy reduces exponentially as you increase speed. You will not get anywhere close to 50 mpg - 60 mpg going 80 mph+

I can get 50 mpg - 53 mpg at 60 mph quite easily.

#2 dolj, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    snordyke likes this.
  3. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This summer we drove the Prius from here in Southern California to Albuquerque, Denver and back. Most of it was in 100+ degree weather so the a/c was always on. Between Grand Junction, CO and Primm, NV was mostly 80 mph through Utah. Those two fills calculated at 42.6 and 41.8 with four adult sized people in the car plus luggage and ice chests.

Mileage for the entire trip was in in the 43s running at 75 mph most of the trip.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Last tank approx. 80% highway @ 65-70mph=45.5mpg (calculated) for me with constant a/c use this time of year.

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Haven't driven enough on the highway enough yet with my new Prius to get a good benchmark; but, with my 2010 V with ATP I normally got 52-54 at 65-70MPH.

6. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I gotten 50 MPG all highway driving for an entire day. Drove 161 miles. This is with an 09 Prius. I get between 50-70 MPG city.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can get 50-55 mpg by keeping my maximum speed limited to 73mph (granted, I run my tires at 50psi). If you look at mpg versus speed plots for the Prius, it takes an especially large hit above 75mph (the below is for the 3rd, gen but the 2nd gen seems to behave the same way, getting just slightly lower mpg at each speed).

Preliminary 2010 mph vs MPG | PriusChat

The rule of thumb I've heard for highway travel is 63mpg at 63mph. To estimate mpg for a given speed, for every mph you go faster than this, subtract a mpg. So if you drive 73mph, you'll probably get 53mpg; 83mph would result in 43mpg. Conversely 53mph would net you 73mpg. I think this is a good estimate if you have low rolling resistance tires; you'll probably do a bit worse with more "normal" tires.

The Prius does seem to take an especially large hit above 75mph. I think the reason the Prius gets much worse fuel economy above 75mph is because the engine has to work too hard and its rpm rises out of its "sweet spot" (rpm and throttle range that give maximum horsepower per unit of fuel input). According to Hobbit, this is between 1400 to 2200rpm. Using my scanguage, at 73 mph on flat ground, my engine rpm stays between 2000 and 2200. If I go faster than this, I have to use a higher rpm which takes me out of this range. Also, 73mph is the maximum speed the engine can go into fuel cutoff while still staying at its minimum rpm: 960. If I go faster than this, the engine will still go into fuel cutoff, but the rpm is higher in order to keep MG1 from spinning at too high of an rpm. Obviously, a higher rpm results in more drag.

#7 Kevin_Denver, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  8. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alot of good information, thanks guys.

I've noticed it go as low as 38-39mpg if I'm over 90mph. I've seen it go as high as 60-70mpg if I follow a truck at 60mph.

I guess on the freeway I'm not as concerned about mileage as I am about time. I'll pay a little more for fuel if I can get somewhere faster.

For mileage reasons and legal as well, it seems that about 3 over whatever the posted limit is, is close to the sweet spot between mileage and time considerations.

dalcon95 likes this.
  9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  10. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did this just for fun without the ICE kicking in. I drove down a long flat road did a Ui and back around again going 30 MPG maintaining the momentum by coasting with no arrows and Glide on electric with yellow arrows and re gen braking at stop signs. No gas until I got off that road on to another one with heavy traffic and it started going down to 70 MPG. I was essentially EV during the entire 15 minute commute. 1473998955399.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

dalcon95 likes this.
  11. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  12. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did something similar when I filled up earlier today. I kept it under 20 for the first few miles, avoided braking by coasting down and attempting to accelerate on electric only. The engine kicked on a few times, but I had the new mpg counter up to the 99.9mpg max until I started going back to regular speeds.

I realize now that cruising speed is probably the single largest factor towards mpgs, followed by a combination of braking and accessory usage. Its just hard to drive slow all of the time, especially on the freeway or in fast moving traffic.

I think that in a rural area it would be easy to get 50, 60, or even 70+ by using simple hypermiling techniques. Hard to do in the city though, the constant last second stops really cut into the overall average.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Amazingly, there is an entire class of vehicles doing so right now, in the right lane of the freeways I use. If you travel with the Semis, at the speed limit, the trip is 5 minutes longer and much cheaper.
    In the cities I travel in the lights are timed, each one takes the same time to change as it did last time. You can learn the patterns and rarely have a last second stop.

It is possible you have few semis and that all your lights are vehicle sensitive and change only due to actual traffic.

14. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sometimes like to drive behind a semi. If I have a head wind that works wonders my fuel mileage. It easily jumps to 50 and 60 miles per gallon. Just keep 2 car lengths behind or more.

I have found that high speed hypermiling works. The speed range may be as low as 2-3 miles per hour.
    Say, from 70 to 73 mph and then ease off the throttle until it's back to 70 mph. The coast factor of a Prius goes a long way.

My gen 2 (04) is slowly losing its fuel mileage. (Newer 12v battery) Maybe HV battery age (184771 miles) might be the cause.
    My last trip this weekend resulted in 47 mpg running @ 70-75 with no hypermiling. When I got it 3 years ago I could easily do 50 mpg. I had 143K miles on it then.

There is several reasons for the no hypermiling, I had new shoes on and the throttle feel wasn't there. LOL

Second my Dash Dyno SPD fuel meter ate the SD chip and refused to work so I was driving "blind".
    It is so much harder to hypermile with just the MFD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the fuel mileage screen I use. Obviously the car wasn't a Prius.
    The Dash Dyo SPD isn't cheap but it works very well. I bought mine from Amazon.