1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hitch for bike rack, revisited

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by NeesiePie, Feb 21, 2015.

1. NeesiePie

NeesiePie New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First off, I am a brand new Prius owner and new to the forum, so I apologize if my question is redundant. I have searched for posts on bike racks, but most only discuss which brand to buy.

1. I am freaked out by Toyota's warning against hitches and hitch-mounted racks. My Prius is brand new and I don't want to do anything that would harm it. I understand that Prii are not made for towing, but why would a bike rack matter? Will I really ruin the car by using a hitch rack?

2. I already have a rack from Thule, which weighs about 30 lbs empty. My bikes together have a combined weight of ~ 50 lbs, if that. Other than the max weight capacity of the hitch, do I have to be concerned for a max weight on the rear of the car?

I'm going to be traveling cross country and dearly want to take my bikes. Rooftop is out because of the obvious gas mileage impact on such a long trip.

Any information, reassurance, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Be nice, please. And thank you!!

2. Starbrand

Starbrand Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No problems at all. I wouldn't be concerned until I exceeded 200 lbs on the hitch. There is a thread on here dedicated to posting what people tow, and some have gone as heavy as 3,000 lbs total trailer weight.

4. Starbrand

Starbrand Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just beware that even hitch rack bikes will have a substantial impact on MPG.