1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Homelink weirdness

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by rdgrimes, Jun 22, 2013.

1. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone been successful in programming the same garage door remote to all 3 Homelink buttons?

I'm stumped, if I program the #2 button, it forgets the #1 programming. It might be related to the rolling codes my door uses, cause after I program #2 then #1 acts like it does before I do the rolling code programming.

In case you're wondering, I'm lazy and don't want to have to fish for the correct button, I want all 3 of them to open my door.

2. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you programing the same garage door? Each button only works for different garage door say if you have garage door # 1 and # 2. If you program the same garage door, it will just transfer the assigned button.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I figured that out, but I don't understand why it does that and wanted a way around it.

4. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's just simple logic. ;) That's the problem of being lazy. :LOL: The other option is to do what the OP did in this thread.
    Easy "Homelink" option | PriusChat

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the first button to the left of the red light on my homelink/mirror. I use the other to the left of that one for the homelink lighting system. Sometimes I press the wrong one and when I come home during the day, I'll walk in and see a bunch of lights on. For the most part it works well. The only remote I can't get to work on my homelink is for the gate to get in my community. This is the third car I've had the same problem with.

6. Kdedgin

Kdedgin New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have all three Homelink buttons on my Prius v programmed to open the same garage door opener. I also have the rolling code type system. I'm like you, I want to be able to push any of the three buttons to open/close my garage door. I just followed the instructions and programmed one button at a time.

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You must know some magic incantation, it sure won't work here. Maybe your 2012 has a different model mirror.

8. totsubo

totsubo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I installed an aftermarket Homelink mirror (Gentex GENK40A Homelink Mirror with Auto-dimming, $200 from amazon) in my Prius v and it works fine with all three buttons. I have buttons 1 and 3 open the same door. My garage door is a Chamberlain (purple button).

9. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just encountered this problem this past weekend: programming all 3 buttons to one garage door, on both my Prius and my wife's Suburu. It stumped me for half an hour.

What I did was contrary to the online instructions. Before programming EACH button, I held the first and last buttons for 30 seconds until I got the slow blink, then was able to program each of the buttons individually. Holding the first and last buttons didn't erase the previously programmed buttons at all.

10. Ed Kaleda

Ed Kaleda New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased one, but haven't installed it yet. Can you describe the installation process so I don't mess anything up. Ed

11. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ditto for me, so I can press any of the 3 buttons to open my garage door. It seems like it has better range (almost full city block) than the included remote controllers.

12. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never resolved this issue, I may have to try the above variation. I've suspected it was due to bad instructions. The dealer told me I had to contact Homelink directly, and Homelink was zero help - just kept quoting the bogus instructions. I'll post back if it ever gets resolved.

13. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I fooled around with this some more and failed completely. It may be that my opener doesn't want to play nice with it. My Wayne-Dalton I-Drive manual even has a page on programming with Homelink, but it's just a copy-paste from the Homelink manual.

Anyway, only one HL button is recognized by the opener, the most recent one I programed.

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Only thing I can think of is a defective homelink mirror. Each button should work independently from the other, otherwise I would suspect your old rolling code remotes do not work once you program a new one? (This would indicate an issue with the door opener.)

Interesting way to test. If you have two rolling code devices you can program program both, and see if the first one you programmed still works. (Definitely an issue with the HL if the first one no longer works.)

15. kostby

kostby New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of this 'weirdness' may be with the garage door opener itself, not Homelink instructions nor the Prius. My (2012) Chamberlain chain-drive garage door opener only 'remembers' a total of 3 remote devices, Homelink or otherwise. The prior Chamberlain garage door opener only 'remembered' 2 remote devices. Adding another device erases the oldest one, and so on.