1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Accord Hybrid: 50 MPG City - clone Toyota

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by bwilson4web, Sep 8, 2013.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Honda Says Accord Plug-In Hybrid Buyers Should Pay a $10,000 Premium Over the Accord Hybrid

We have a price, and a virtual guaranty that the phev accord won't sell well.

The camry xle hybrid is priced at $27,670. I am not sure what comparably equipped models will sell for, but the prices are in the same ballpark.

Ford's energi premium is $8000, and includes about 50% more electric miles per charge. The accord hybrid has a much more acceptable hybrid premium than the accord phev.

2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought he had tested one.:(

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I heard on Autoline Daily the base model is ~$30,000 . . .

Bob Wilson

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same MPG as a Prius?... hmmm....I would not bet on that horse.
    Ride, room, even looks, HA can win that. But not MPG...

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just for grins, I did a little price comparison on the high end Camrys and Accords, all of which have roughly comparable features (prices include shipping and handling fee):

$33,910 - Camry V6 XLE
    $34,270 - Accord V6 Touring
    $34,960 - Camry Hybrid XLE (0% financing available)
    $35,695 - Accord Hybrid Touring
    $40,570 - Accord Plug-In (Touring equivalent features) ($419 lease, 36 months, $2,500 down)

Not much of a step up from the V6 models to hybrid (which is not really far behind in low end power). About a $5,000 step up for the plug-in. My PIP deal is looking better and better, but of course it's not the same comfort level.

hybridbear likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i believe the camry, at 34k, has many more options than the hycam at 35k.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's not bad. The question is is the base Accord hybrid warrants the $2000 price increase from the base Camry and Fusion.

10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for making me work harder! Actually, that does not seem to be the case. The non-hybrid XLE has a moonroof and split rear fold down seats standard, and can add smart key and auto dimming mirrors. The HyCam has smart key, noise reducing windshield and auto dimming mirrors standard, and can add moonroof. Leather, power, heated seats are optional in both models. The XLE can add display audio nav, but only the Hycam can add HDD 7 inch nav. FYI, I tried to max out those prices, with the leather and highest end audio/nav.

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not crazy about the looks of any of these sedans. Hard telling about anything else without actually driving them. From just sitting in a 2014 Camry, it didn't feel as comfortable as my 2007 HyCam. After their last fiasco with an Accord Hybrid, I'm surprised they are not being more aggressive on pricing, especially with 0% deals still available from Toyota (and Ford?).

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i'm quite surprised to hear that. we just picked up the '13 hycam, (msrp 33k) and i thought it was equivalent to a 29k camry. i thought the high end camry would have options like heads up, lka, radar cruise and etc.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Now that you mention it, there are definitely a few things the high end Accord has over the high end Camry, like 10 postion seat, instead of 8, and memory seat function, LKA, radar cruise and pre-collision, 8 inch screen instead of 7 inch, etc. Maybe Toyota saved some of those things for the Avalon (and of course Lexus).

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'd trade a few MPGs for a Much more solid, capable driving machine found in the Accord Hybrid. 195 vs 134 HP, 7.x vs 9.8 0 to 60 , etc.... and if it drives much like regular Accord which C&D, MotorTrend, etc, etc... give their blessing .... that'd be great. I'll be watching on sidelines for years. No early adopting here, nope.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Might that have anything to do with this train wreck of a layout? Not that it's the only car with it, but geez, in US #1 selling car?

Copy of camera 508.jpg

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota calls it an '8-way power adjustable seat with power lumbar adjust (2-way), so it's the same as Honda 10-way power adjustable

1,2 - slide forward, back
    3,4 - seatback forward, back
    5,6 - height adjust up, down
    7,8 - seat cushion 'tilt' up, down (Toyota adjusts only the bottom cushion, Honda tilts the whole seat which I prefer)
    9,10 - lumbar adjust forward, back

I'm glad to see Honda putting out three trims for Accord Hybrid. I hope they plan to compete hard to get out of the 4% hybrid market share hole they've been in.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

IIR, Camry Hybrid XLE w/ nav stickers right around 30k and so will base Acc Hy, but no nav in that one, no nav in Acc Hy EX-L either for close to 32k, whoops. I think the displays in Accord Hybrid will be much nicer than Camry Hybrid.

Now, let's see the trunk!!

hybridbear likes this.
  18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahh... I noticed you or someone edited the originally the title that was originally over dramatic at 2012 Camry Hybrid Offset Steering Wheel Oddity | PriusChat.

I never noticed as I'd only test driven the car once or twice and given the sales figures you admit, I doubt car buyers care much.

19. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check it out on page 32 of the October 2013 Car & Driver magazine. Has a good drawing of the system.
    It is a simple system that is either full electric drive at speeds below 43 mph, then switches to full mechanical drive above 43 mph at light throttle cruise, where a mechanical clutch directly couples the front wheels to the ICE with a simple gearset.
    It takes a large enough generator to power a large electric motor with enough power to absorb the ICE's full power for getting up to 43 mph or any passing, hill climbing etc. The full mechanical cruise system should be efficient at speed, as it uses a simple single speed gear set with none of the loss associated with driving the wheels using a generator and electric motor. It takes a fairly large Atkinson cycle gas engine with a wide torque curve to mechanically drive the car at speeds just above 40 to whatever top cruising spped the driver wants to use.
    Very different than the Toyota HSD that drives the planetary gearset with a combination of mechanical power from the ICE and electric power from MG2.

hybridbear and bwilson4web like this.
  20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    http://www.autonews.com/article/20130927/VIDEO/309279936/honda-accord-hybrids-road-to-50-mpg#ixzz2g7xslmrm