1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Honda Accord Hybrid Returns To U.S.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Jeff N, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's about time !!
    . . . . . . . but what about the plug-in - will it remain virtually un-obtainable & overpriced?

#2 hill, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i heard it was done.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agred. but what we really need is more dedicated models with better battery placement, so folks won't move on when the see the trunk size.

Trollbait likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    apparently, that family has no luggage. oh wait, there's no metric for boot volume. i suppose you could put it in the back seat with the kids.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Accord PHEV was only intended as a compliance vehicle. It was available in fewer states than the Fit EV.

After the Clarity FCEV arrives in California, a BEV and PHEV, using the Accord hybrid drive train, will be arriving for the rest of the country.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't the Clarity taking care of that? It looks to me that Honda wants to keep the hybrid with the Accord but push a different name for the "new and advanced" technology. Honda seems to be looking at Toyota and GM and taking the best parts of their playbook - keep the hybrid in their popular car, create a separate line for leading edge technology.

10. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I don't know many details about the new Clarity platform but presumably the unibody structure is substantially different to allow for the hydrogen storage tanks and perhaps the PHEV version of the Clarity can reuse those spaces for its 40+ mile battery pack with less intrusion of the cabin space than the Volt. I wonder if Toyota could do something similar with the Mirai platform?

Honda hasn't said how ambitious their range goals are for the BEV model so it isn't clear if they will need a full skateboard-style pack under the floor.

I was told to expect the BEV first in summer of 2017 with the PHEV coming in the fall of 2017.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Even presuming it were possible - you'd still just end up with a 4 seat compact, whereas the clarity is a(t least) mid sized 5 seater. Those of us over 6' - or the arthritic - or even the overweight, aren't looking forward to having to fold in ½ just to get into their cars.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It probably can if it's designed properly. The Mirai has two hydrogen tanks. The issue with battery placement is weight and centre of gravity. With the hydrogen tank behind the rear seats, the Mirai has a decent size trunk that's deep and wide. But if you replace it with a battery, it's better for centre of gravity if the battey was placed horizontally on the floor instead of vertically behind the rear seats.

The fuel tank will have to be relocated (e.g. under the front seats like the last gen Fit) so that the battery can lay flat from under the rear seats, extending rearward to the spare tire area. That way, engineers can maintain a large trunk and fold-down rear seats.

Currently, the only hybrid (non-plug) 4-dr sedan that has the same sized trunk as the regular version is the IS300h. The battery sits in the spare tire wheel well.

13. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Maybe, although I wonder what swapping in an engine under the front hood of the Mirai will do for its weight balance.

14. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Have you been in a Mirai? I did a test drive at a dealer last year and also rode as a passenger in the backseat and it felt more like a mid-size than a compact inside. That was last year so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Looking at the specs, it has a vehicle width more like a compact but has a mid-size wheelbase of 109.4 -- 3.1 inches longer than the 2016 Prius at 106.3. I can't find any interior cabin specs for the Mirai but I would expect reasonable headroom and legroom.

The edmunds.com review says:

Here's a backseat picture:

image.jpeg

#14 Jeff N, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yea - front or back - that looks punishing on my 6'-5" frame. Heck for me - I was elated (as were many orhers) when Danny started carrying the extend my seat brackets in the Prius store.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. I forgot about the engine swap. Depends on the size. Toyota has two sets of hybrid systems in the fuel economy end - the 1.8 and the 2.5. The competitors seemed to have settled with a 2.0 litre (Ford and Honda). The 2.5 litre might be a better suit since it's a bit more powerful and therefore doesn't have to strain as much and will match the more luxury oriented Mirai. I'm excited to see how the new Gen 4 Prius changes will affect the 2.5 litre HSD units.

Finally, someone else that remembers its a midsize. Like you, it was a while since I've been in a Mirai but I do recall it being reasonably spacious. I think it's on the smaller side of midsize (larger than Prius, smaller than Camry)

How many 4-dr sedans fit you, hill? Just curious.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Not much, as most of the steering wheels don't telescope - only ones that cone to memory are the Accord, & Lexus GS . . .

and of course, the model S ...

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It seems Toyota never released any interior measurements. Which left the Fueleconomy.gov site listing it as a subcompact.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I think it was mentioned before somewhere here. There were test drives available across the country but yeah it's definitely bigger than a subcompact. It's most likely bigger than a compact. Again, I recall it was mentioned as a midsize. I fit in the Mirai better than in the Prius (probably because of the sedan shape vs. the sloping roof in the Prius).

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's exterior size is close to that of the Camry's.
    I do except the passenger space to be decent, but the fuel cell, battery pack, and two sizable hydrogen tanks are all eating into the interior space in some way.