1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hopefully straightforward question about my battery warranty.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Akira Takamedo, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Akira Takamedo

Akira Takamedo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought a 2013 with 86.5k miles, which just barely passes the threshold of not having certified Toyota warranty coverage. The dealer said the warranty would cost $2,100 but I told them no, that was insane. All I worry about is the battery, everything else I'll do out of pocket if it should come up, but the battery is the most expensive repair.

I live in CT but bought the car in NJ, it's now registered in CT. They're both CARB states. That means I get the extended battery coverage of 10 yr/150k miles, right? It would be a shame to be so close to 100k and already lose my battery coverage.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think so, but that might be a battle for the day the battery quits. (which hopefully won't happen(y))

RCO, jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Battery life is a function of both time and mileage, since the warranty is 10 years 150k miles, I wouldn't bother worrying until then.

Rustang and RCO like this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is certainly not the case. The inverter is $4000 and the transaxle is $5000.

Only two things matter, where was it purchased new, and where is it registered now. (Where you bought it used is unimportant)

The 2014 list of CARB States in the US | PriusChat

RCO likes this.