1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How did that happen, CV Axle

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mikhail Bond, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Mikhail Bond

Mikhail Bond Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I was rotating my tires and changing my oil when I noticed my passenger side inner boot had slipped off it’s clamped point and decided to fling grease out.
    Luckily the grease is contained because of all the wonderful paneling Toyota puts on the bottom of their vehicles.
    That being said I’ll have some cleaning to do in the future.
    any thoughts on how to handle this?

will a tool to insert a new clamp fit underneath the car for me to repair this without removing the entire axle?

If I have to remove the entire axle, is it held in place by a c-clip and will atf drop out of the tranny like on a VW

#1 Mikhail Bond, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. Mikhail Bond

Mikhail Bond Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ok, just an update.

after removing the bottom plastic undercarriage coverings.

I found that the original boot clamp is a fold over style with two metal holding tabs.

I was able to repack the cv with grease, bend the tabs out to release the tab, slip it back on and tension the clamp back up.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you got it figured out. Unless you're over 60,000 miles, the CV joints would be covered under the 5/60k drivetrain warranty. I would think that, since the CV joints depend on the boots for protection, that the boots would also be under the same warranty.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mikhail Bond

Mikhail Bond Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My 2018 just hit 145k miles.

one thing I did notice while I was under there... I found some crusting pink stuff by the drain port for the radiator. It was sort of nearest the corner of the radiator rather than the drain plug itself.

I had to add coolant recently to my reservoir as it was below the low point.

5. digitalundertaker

digitalundertaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Likely a crack on the side tank(s), really hard to spot. Happened to my 2006 Highlander Hybrid. Toyota asked $400+ just for the radiator, I was afraid to ask for labor cost. Nearby shop said they could fix it for $200. Found an identical Denso one on amazon for $85.00, took me 3 or 4hours to replace it. It wasn't easy.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    a bit like sweating copper after it's empty sweatin it can prolong its usefulness. Even it if takes a few tries to get it right or get all the possible spots if more than one.

new part is usually more rewarding - just depends on who and where.

7. Mikhail Bond

Mikhail Bond Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just checked part numbers and the 2012-16 year model radiator is the same part number as 2017+ Prime

I’ll go ahead and order the radiator($65)
    I’ve done my 4runners radiator and already had to take the front end apart on the prime for something, can’t remember what now but took about that much time.

One slow work day. I’ll keep you guys updated on a new thread.

m

vvillovv likes this.
  8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'd be interested in seeing pics of whatever is back behind the parts you take off. I'm too chicken to mess with the stuff up front there.
    I didn't get a chance to read up the techstream docs for the front stuff either and I'm imagining it ain't pretty. Thanks for sharing what you find.

this is the only shot I got from the body shop after they completely changed the work order the first day they had the car.

22apr2019-nulook-IMG_0606.jpg

Needless to say I got the car back the next day after they finished reassembly..... $2500 to fix the dents in the door circled in yellow. Original estimate was $1500 for a new door skin. New work order was gonna mud the door with filler. What would you tell to service writer at the body shop who tried to sell you that change? After 45 minutes of complete BS sales pitches that made no sense, I finally asked for pics of the work they had done that day. I got three pics. The pic above was the straw the broke the camels back for me.
    see also Brakes the good the bad and the ugly.

#8 vvillovv, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020