1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do you use your headlights?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by gvp1995, Aug 23, 2016.

1. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My bad. That was me, and yes mine do come on when the car is started. They did with the CR-V ,C-Class, X- Trail and Rover 75. That said, it is finely splitting hairs in this regard imho.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, it was kithmo.
    How do you use your headlights? | Page 4 | PriusChat

3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ...and fools seldom differ... :(

RCO likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should know. ;)

6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. :cry: :LOL:

RCO likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True but it means that as long as we don't completely release the parking brake, you can drive around with the DRLs off. I had to do that when I was stargazing. As a courtesy to other people that were watching the meteor shower, you had to drive with the headlights off. In the middle of the night with no outside light source, even DRLs are bright (mine is a high beam at reduced intensity and it's halogen). An LED DRL using the low beam/dipped beam headlight would just be ill-mannered and inconsiderate to fellow stargazers.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where were you doing that? I know there are a few "dark sky" areas in North America.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Middle of nowhere Canadian prairies. Like the Midwest, it's pretty easy since the highways outside of city limits are not illuminated. Just drive 1 hour outside of any major city and it's dark.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Headlight report:
    During the drive this morning, it was raining moderately hard, and considerably dark and gloomy and foggy.
    As I am trying to pull out of my neighborhood, here comes a black Gen3 Prius and a dark gray Corolla… And no headlights whatsoever.

I'm not sure if these people are brand-new drivers, or elderly, or just people that are ignorant in knowledge about basic safety and driving rules. I would say only about 40% of all the vehicles had their lights on this morning. Sadly, it is drivers like that who will cause accidents. (And I saw 7 or 8 Prii's, and only ONE was using their headlights. Makes no sense at all.)

12. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use the "automatic" setting. And as such don't know whether my lights are on or not. I let the car decide...

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And this is why DRLs should be included. Yes, the taillights aren't on but at the very least, the front is illuminated - good if you're turning left and trying to see if there is oncoming traffic.

Look for the "headlight on" symbol to illuminate in the dashboard.

Also note that it may not turn on the headlights if it's cloudy but not quite dark enough.

14. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do star parties from time to time too. Good to know the ole parking break trick still works. I'll make sure to test it prior.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it's a balancing trick with your left foot trying to steadily hold the parking brake, the car chiming cause you "left the parking brake on" and of course trying not to hit anyone who may not see you.

Alternatively, keep the parking lights/taillights on so people see a car moving but they're not so bright as to mess up the eyesight of anyone who is in the vicinity.

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  16. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the past, I've always just kept my car parked all night long. That seemed to be the easiest way to deal with it. But I've always known how to disable all my lighting just in case.

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  17. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're kidding, right? You don't know if the lights are on or not… That's taking it to the extreme, for sure. I hope at least you have the auto set to "maximum sensitivity."

As dusk is approaching, I turn on my full headlights much sooner than the auto setting ever would. The same with cloudy and overcast days. Full headlights. I believe in the highest visibility possible. The Prius is not a large car. Maybe my thinking comes from driving motorcycles for so many years, and hundreds of cars making left turns right in front of me.

Yes, that's the problem with DRL's. In some cases a blacked-out rear end is just as bad as having no headlights on. Especially those dark grey or black vehicles. I don't mean to sound snarky, buy I don't understand the thinking of people who don't take safety into consideration, and are hesitant to turn on their headlights. I have no problem using FULL headlights, 24 hours a day if I want to. (Same with the AC). I am not concerned at all how those two items would affect the gas mileage. The least of my concerns is the darn MPG!

MichelleStone likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I let the AUTO do it's thing too generally, unless it's a heavily overcast day. But my DRLs are actually easier to spot than my headlights - I tried it from a distance one night - these photos are daytime obviously (right one is DRL). The DRLs shine in a wider angle than the headlight which wasn't visible as much from an angle.
    upload_2017-1-6_16-56-10.png
    HEADLIGHT......PARK LIGHT....FOG LIGHT..........DRL

And the Parking Lights (Side Lights) aren't very bright at all in daylight, but much better at night, and easier to see from an angle. I must get some night photos.

Tideland Prius, RCO and krmcg like this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Brilliant (!) Al. The photos are great, but they don't convey the difference as well in daylight as darkness unfortunately. Personally, I think the problems encountered by North American cousins stems from their model dependent configurations and apparent lack of widespread educational info to the motoring fraternity at large. It is comforting to see that so many on here have got the message about DRLs, or should I risk saying "seen the light". Nah! I'd probably be lynched if I did! :ROFLMAO:

alanclarkeau and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just so you are aware, I work in Lynchburg :LOL: :D

RCO likes this.