1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How does your Cruise Control work?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ukr2, Feb 4, 2017.

1. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Saturday we drove from Victor to Rochester, 24 miles. Being my first long drive, I knew I'd be driving home on ICE.
    NO, SAY IT AIN'T SO !!!

While using Cruise at 69 mph, I approached a 55 mpg zone. I pulled the Cruise stock to turn off Cruise, the car dropped to 58 mph, I pushed the stock down to set it, but it was still set to 69 and went down to 68. STRANGE.
    Most cars when you turn off Cruise, without pressing the Enable button, Setting it again will be at the current speed.

Later I was Cruising at 55 mpg, pressed the accellerator to increase the speed to 65 mph, then pressed the stock down to re-set it, but it just went down to 54. STRANGE Again.

I could press the Enable button Off, then On and press the stock down to get the new setting.

I'll have to test this more, but it's NOT right.

Also, I noticed that with the Cruise Sensitivity set to ONE Bar, if I turn OFF Cruise, then turn it ON, it doesn't remember the previous Sensitivity and goes to THREE Bars. That's not right either.

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you release the stalk when you cancelled it? You have to pull it back, release it, then set it again by pushing it down. If you hold it back, that won't do it.

ruby and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  3. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I Enable Cruise by Pressing the button and getting the Dash symbol.
    I Set the Cruise by Pressing the Stalk down and releasing it.
    I Turn it Off by pulling the Stack and releasing it.
    I Set the Cruise Again by Pressing the Stalk down and releasing it.

What does " If you hold it back, that won't do it." mean?

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds like you're doing it right. Holding cancel and then going to set won't work, but pulling to cancel and then releasing and then resetting will.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First off, it is easy to turn off the cruise control 'setting' most often by manually braking. The cruise control remains technically "ON" but "in-active" at the last speed setting.

In "ON" but "in-active", I typically wait until the car is going 28 mph or faster. Then I "pat-up" the stalk which seems to resume the last setting. I then adjust the speed by holding the stalk UP or DOWN to set my target speed.

In traffic, I use the stalk UP and DOWN functions to adjust the set speed. The only way I know to set the speed is upon first POWER-ON, using the end button:
    • Quick push on the end button to "POWER-OFF"
    • Quick push to "POWER-ON", now armed for setting the initial speed
    • Stalk down to set the speed
    This is typically done fairly quickly, 1-2 seconds. But practice helps.

Bob Wilson

sonomac likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first one is weird/strange.

The rest is how it works on Toyotas (and how it works on my Gen 3).

So to go back to the first one, in theory, what you did should mean that the cruise is SET at 58mph (not return to 69 then drop to 68). The reason is that if you wanted 69, then you would push up on the stalk (RES/+) to resume. So this one is weird.

The second one at 55mph, accelerating to 65 then pressing down (SET/-), that is correct. DRCC works different from regular cruise. The action you did is what you would do with regular cruise (people who use my car get confused as well). Because DRCC works by setting a set speed and distance, the control for the stalk is different. If you accelerate up to 65mph, you either have to cancel then set again or you push and hold up on the stalk (RES/+) until the set speed in the MID reads 65mph.

For the last one, yeah it always reset it to the furthest distance (safest I suppose). If you want it to remember the set distance, leave CC on (but be extra careful not to knock the stalk up to RES/+, otherwise the car will resume your speed).

7. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a reason why DRCC works different than regular cruise when it comes to setting cruise speed? Since this is about setting speed not distance, which is a separate button. Unless I am missing something. I realize that when following someone your current speed may be slower than what you are currently set, but in the OP's second scenario he has used the throttle to accelerate higher than his current set speed, so I don't see why you can't set the new higher speed with a single down click like you do on other cruise controls.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's programmed to do incremental speed adjustments (either in 1mph or 5 mph increments depending on whether you tap or hold the stalk).

If the OP accelerates, the computer doesn't know (isn't programmed) to know whether it's temporary (i.e. just accelerating to pass) or permanent (accelerating to a new higher set speed). I guess that's how the engineers decided to program it. The other option is to accelerate and once you like that speed, hold RES/+ until the set speed matches your current speed. (of course it's faster to cancel and set again).

Another difference (And I think it's a bigger one especially those who don't read the manuals... and you really should) is the RES/+ and SET/- are there to set the DRCC speed. In regular cruise, the +/- is to increase or decrease the speed in real time.

Therefore I've had people drive my car wanting to use CC to accelerate and press RES/+ without realising they're actually increasing the set speed (and at the same time wondering why the car isn't accelerating - it's following another car) so if the car in front moves, my car is going to accelerate rapidly. OF course I'm in the car so I don't let that happen but it could happen to someone not familiar with DRCC.

9. Optimus PRIME

Optimus PRIME Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is super simple, just tap on the brake and cancel it, or press the Enable button to cancel it. Press the button again real fast and push down to set current speed. It is pretty simple and easy in my mind. I don't even bother with the cancel function. Sounds like it is slower than pressing the button fast twice. I never tried and not going to bother doing it that way.

10. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it should be pretty simple for the computer to figure out, if the driver presses SET/- then it's permanent, if they don't press SET/- then it's temporary, in that case when they let off the throttle it will know to drop back to the set speed. Like standard cruise control works.

Agree that RES/+ is a different situation, but the computer knows whether or not you are following another car so there shouldn't be any risk, if the driver presses RES/+ while the system is actively following another car the computer should simply ignore RES/+ and not change the set speed. Only after the car ahead speeds up or moves out of the way will pressing RES/+ do anything.

Back to SET/- that also shouldn't be too hard for the computer to know what to do. If travelling at or below the set speed then tapping SET/- will lower the set speed. If you are travelling above the set speed then tapping SET/- will set the new higher speed. Similar to how standard cruise controls work.

I agree reading the manual is always important but there is also an advantage to making things work the way people expect, if it can be done safely. Maybe the engineers had good intentions but wound up adding unnecessary steps. I remember years ago when cruise control worked quite differently depending on the manufacturer. For example not all cruise controls had a cancel feature. Then in the past decade or so they really seemed to standardize which is nice. If it starts diverging again that's disappointing unless there is a good reason for it.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tapping the brakes causes your brake lights to flash and the driver behind you to think that you are hitting your brakes, causing them to slow down or even hit their brakes. As a courtesy to other drivers I never use the brake pedal just to cancel the cruise. That's what the cancel function is for. I guess if I'm in the middle of nowhere and no one is behind me it wouldn't matter, but pulling the stalk to cancel is just as easy as pressing the brake pedal so I just make that my habit.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Bob slowly raises his hand.

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At least on the Gen 4, that would only be true in PWR mode. In ECO mode, the acceleration would definitely not be rapid. I am currently driving in Normal mode which is between those extremes.

I assume the Prime behaves similar to the Gen 4. If not, feel free to ignore the above information.

#13 Prodigyplace, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  14. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am trying to think of arguments against my opinion about how RES/+ and SET/- should work. I have come up with one possible argument although I'm not sure it sways me.

First I don't know if there is terminology for when DRCC is "locked onto" a car in front of you which is within range of DRCC and going at or below your set speed. For now I am referring to that as "Actively following".

In this example, cruise is set at 55, which is the speed limit, and you are actively following a car that is also going 55mph or close to it. Then the speed limit changes to 65mph. The car in front doesn't react immediately, but you would like to proactively increase your set speed to 65mph so that when the car in front does start speeding up your speed will increase also. Well I can see that apparently the current method allows this, which I suppose is nice. Whereas using my proposed method pressing RES/+ will do nothing, you will have to wait for the car in front to start speeding up before you can use RES/+ to set a higher speed. Maybe that would be annoying to some people, but I think it would be safer, otherwise an untrained driver might start clicking RES/+ repeatedly, or holding it, but not paying attention to the display and thus not realize that they have just set it for 90mph, which they won't find out until the car in front changes lanes. Don't know how often that would actually happen but that's why I think for safety reasons probably RES/+ should not be operational during active following. RES/+ should only work when pressing it will provide immediate acceleration, that way the driver gets instant feedback on what is happening even if they aren't looking at the display. SET/- would not need this restriction since pressing SET/- repeatedly or holding it will always have immediate results.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Having driven 1,200 miles, I found it best to set the cruise control speed to speed limit + 10 mph. I then pull behind a vehicle running relatively constant speed like a semi-trailer truck or pick-up towing.

Setting the speed to the initial vehicle speed does not work as any hill or grade will change the speed and the lead vehicle can pull beyond the detection range and lose Prime speed control. Then any subsequent slow down of the lead vehicle will cause the rapidly moving Prime to come into range with a considerable speed difference. This can lead to unnecessary braking.

If you've ever tried to tow a vehicle with a rope, any slack can result in a snapping action. Having the cruise control set too close to the lead vehicle speed is the electronic version of towing with a rope.

Now I drive in ECO mode and there is no risk of the Prius 'taking off like a rocket.' If others choose NORMAL or POWER, good luck. I prefer a sedate and efficient Prius driving experience.

Bob Wilson

#15 bwilson4web, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Since2002 likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On the Gen 4, it seems DRCC seems to use engine braking instead of regenerative braking to slow on downhill stretches. Does the Prime do the same thing?

I ECO mode with many uphill/downhill stretches, I found the speed variation too much, Normal or PWR mode seem to mitigate this issue. Non-RADAR cruise control seems unaffected by driving mode setting.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not that I can tell. The Prius Prime has ~6.3 kWh of extra battery capacity and excellent regeneration.

Bob Wilson

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find the engine revving quite noticeable. It would be difficult to miss.

19. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, don't know that. So the car follows the ECO mode during DRCC? That is neat.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that is true. It's a nice change. On my Gen 3, it's not tied to the Drive Modes so it will accelerate rapidly.

"Radar Lock" :D

Yes, that's what I do. I'll preemptively push RES/+ to increase the set speed to the new speed limit in anticipation of the car in front accelerating to the new speed limit.

In contrast, I will also use SET/- to slowly step down the speed if the speed limit ahead is lower. (or I could just cancel and let the car coast... either way. It depends on the situation)

Yeah. That's a new feature for Gen 4 and a nice change.

Since2002 likes this.