1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How exactly does one start a PM aka conversation

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by alftoy, Jan 6, 2021.

1. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How does one initiate a PM or conversation. I click the start a conversation under the members name and get a page not found. I messaged admin a month ago re:this issue and still no reply. Only way I was able to start a conversation was noticing a member had a web site so emailed to his web email.

Naming convention confusing,

conversation = PM?

message refers to post in a thread.

This is what I get when clicking Start a Conversation
    conversation.JPG

#1 alftoy, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    UltraJetRefill2 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it hasn't worked for a few months now, iirc. you can find the topic in the priuschat website questions forum

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't listen to Bisco, he's crumbled too many cookies into his keyboard keys if you know what I mean... :)

If you have pop up windows on your computer disabled you won't be able to do it.... And if you open the person's profile in a new window or a new tab you won't be able to do it.

But if you simply click on a person's profile next to one of their comments there will be a pop up window and in green letters there is a link that's second from the left that says, "start a conversation." Click that and you'll be sure to be even more difficult for your recipient to avoid you unless they click ignore, which is a different conversation.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ummmm. I tried and got the same error as @alftoy. I get popup windows on other sites, to that's not it. Just in case, I turned off all blocking. Still got the error.

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I just clicked on your profile name and there was a pop-up and I clicked on 'start of conversion' and the PM message screen loaded up.

Perhaps you have some security features enabled or you need to upgrade your web browser to see that pop-up window?

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. I tried it on three different web browsers with no special setting. Same thing. I believe you that it worked for you. But I don't know why it's not working for others. It's been a long time since I actually used it.

What web browser are you using? I tried, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure would be more exciting if you didn't believe me and accused me of deliberately lying... I'm currently using Google Chrome Beta Version 88 and my adblock is on for the moment, though sometimes that causes Amazon pics to not be visible.

Seems like you might want to give a heads up to the webmaster about this as many have told me they've had a problem sending PM and it'd be a a less messy forum if this was way easier to do.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you on a Mac or PC? Or Linux? I think @bisco is on a Mac as am I. I wonder if @alftoy is also on a Mac. If that's the only difference, the PM function might be trying to do something that our systems no longer allow. Apple has gotten extremely security and privacy oriented -- even more than before. Or maybe it's something different altogether.

I'm pretty sure @Tideland Prius already knows about this, and as I recall doesn't have the administrative credentials to drill down to that level of control as a moderator. @Danny is rarely heard from these days and afaik, he's the only one with the authority to get it fixed if, indeed, it's on the server end.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea that makes sense... Probably not asking @Danny though... Ya'll need to go into your Apple security settings related to pop up windows and figure it out... I'm using Ubuntu/Linux as my OS.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used Linux Mint for quite a while several years ago, but couldn't find video editing software that met my needs. Hence the jump to Apple. Linux is a great OS. I still have an old Lenovo laptop running Mint with WindowsXP in a virtual box for Techstream.

I checked my browser preferences and saw that PC was set to "block & notify." I changed it to "allow." Restarted Safari and got the same thing. There aren't any system wide setting for this.
    Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 8.09.40 AM.png

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just started a private conversation with @alftoy, per what @PriusCamper said, seemed to work as usual. Hopefully it’s working for him as well.

This is on an iPhone with Safari.

PriusCamper and jerrymildred like this.
  12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This problem has been addressed before in this thread and others.
    PM or Conversation not working at this time | PriusChat

No permanent solution has been found as of yet. But it is clear that PM (=Conversation) function still works for some but not for all users. It quit working months ago on my account. I use to be able to initiate PM from my computer web browsers, but now I can't. I have tried in three different laptops (Windows box, Chrome box, Linux box), and 4 different web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Brave), but none worked. With or without popup enabled, with or without AdBlocker enabled, did not make any difference. I even tried with a brand new laptop without any previous cache, but still no go.

For me, the only workaround is to start a conversation using a phone app. It works fine on my Android phone app. Once the conversation is started, I can receive and reply to the message using the web browser interface on my laptop.

SFO, Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like it’s platform, operating system and/or browser dependent.

14. Laurag2281968

Laurag2281968 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First day for me!! Love the thorough and extensive dialogue threads. Day three of buying a new to me 2014 Prius Plug in and I’m over the moon so far. Can’t wait to dive in now that I’m signed up.

Salamander_King likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat and congrats on your purchase of Pip. You may want to bookmark this page.
    Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015 | PriusChat
    This is where all the Pip (Gen1 Prius Plug-in) related questions and discussions are posted.

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. Laurag2281968

Laurag2281968 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank You. Super I’ll do that. I have one pressing thought I am often wondering. Is it okay to have both ev/hv button and eco button pressed and displayed on the dash at the same time? Thank you in advance for any reply. Laura

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I sure hope not! :) That's 95% of my driving for the past 24,000 miles. (y)

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial?

I’d add, just as a rule of thumb: the engineers designing the cars controls and logic would be VERY remiss, if some easy-to-do button combination could “break” the car.

That said, regardless of their efforts, there are some things best avoided. 3rd gen (2010-2015) for example: owners have found from experience that doing cold starts and then quickly shutting down, can lead to an engine shake at next start up. Shouldn’t be so, but...

Another, relevant to multiple gen’s: B mode on the shifter, is poorly explained in Owner’s Manual. It would seem to be a typical “gearing down” tactic, to be used frequently, but the consensus here now is it’s best reserved for very long down hill stretches, only to delay the hybrid battery becoming fully charged, and the car then switching to friction brakes only, maybe overheating. You want to avoid that as long as possible. But in everyday driving, leaving it in D is preferable.

#18 Mendel Leisk, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oops!!!! Thanks Mendel. You are correct. Looks like I had a brain fart and now it's too late to edit it.

Indeed, I should have typed "I hope so!" I read the question backwards.

Mendel Leisk likes this.