1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How often should a rad + heat exchanger fail on a 2018 Prime with ~160k km on it?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Andrew Murdoch, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Andrew Murdoch

Andrew Murdoch New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Good Day

I live near Midland, Ontario, and I just took my car to "Midland Toyota", with a coolant leak. They claimed the rad was leaking, so I paid ~$1200 + tax CAD to have the radiator replaced. At this same time they also replaced a driver's seat chair rail for ~1200 + tax CAD. I took the car in Tuesday Feb 28th, and got it back Friday, March 3rd.

The driver's seat was fully repaired, and to be completely honest it was working better than I ever remember it working. I didn't pop the hood, which was my error, and drive the car ~10 minutes, maybe 15 km home. By the time I got it home and popped the hood, the coolant was empty. I filled the coolant and took the car out for ~80 km, and when I got home, the coolant was empty again. I filled it one more time, but it was empty by the Saturday morning.

Likewise, I took the car back on Saturday, March 4th, and got a call ~1 hour ago and learned the "Heat Exchanger" was also leaking. I asked why the service tech's didn't notice both problems in the same inspection, and was told there was no way to know the exchanger was leaking, because the rad had a pronounced leak.

Now I'm questioning if the rad was ever leaking, and if the heat exchanger has any real problem. Does anyone know the failure rate of these components? I'm going to reach out to the "OMVIC" and demand both parts are returned to me, but even then I won't know how to verify if they're from my car.

I'm really in the dark on this one.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're right, the radiator was never leaking, and the heat exchanger was the problem all along. the radiators hardly ever have to be replaced.
    if you search here, you will find many others have been scammed as well, and most dealers don't even know how to diagnose the heat exchanger. it usually takes a call from the customer to toyota corporate, and they have to call the dealer and explain it.
    there is a tsb for it and warranty coverage iirc.

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The top radiator tank on my early 90's SR5 Toyota pickup, fell apart at the seams - but that took 20+ years. The only other times I see radiator leaks is from road debris impact damage on cars without AC systems. Cars with AC systems, the condenser takes the hit.
    By the way, the service technicians' answer to your question is BS. He could've checked the heat exchanger integrity by doing a simple pressure test. Disconnect the in and out going coolant hoses at the heat exhanger, then pressurize the heat exchanger, If it doesn't hold pressure, you've got a leak; which may be covered under the recall/TSB notice. It's only an extra 10 minutes, since the coolant was already drained for the radiator replacement.

4. Andrew Murdoch

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Okay, thanks!

I checked and can't find any warranties available in Ontario, Canada, but I did reach out to Toyota Canada, because this seems crazy that both parts fail at or near the same time. I assumed the part would have some way to check it, maybe the service tech was lazy and didn't see the point or need. That still calls into question why, and even if it was by mistake, I can't trust their word.

The car does have AC, and a bottom metal sheeting, but the dealership / service techs don't or can't answer how my rad would have become damaged, which might be fair, I don't know. I work in IT / Engineering, and without seeing what happened I can understand holding back on making a statement of fact, so I'm erring on the site of being nice. I know the initial problem of the fan's heat cutting out happens a while back, but we never saw any other signs to worry us, and the problem never got worse until last week.

Ontario has a good system for looking into and fighting this kind of issue, so once I get the car back, and hear back from Toyota Canada, I'll know and do more.

Thanks for your help!

BiomedO1 likes this.
  5. Andrew Murdoch

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Update: I got the car back yesterday and it's running great. I saw both of the broken parts and the front exhaust has a sizeable dent in it, that took out the heat exchanger.

In September, my partner was in an accident where an 18-wheeler was breaking down on the highway, and she ran over a part of the truck. We filed an insurance claim and a different shop took care of the repairs. The service manager from Midland Toyota said that is most likely what caused the damage, and the car just kept on working for months because I keep it charged and use ECO mode.

The now highly doubt the dealership was playing a game or screwing me, I think the other shop didn't do enough inspection, and failed to repair the car properly.

I'm following up with insurance, because now the damage and the fallout make sense.

Cheers