1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How the electrical system works in Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Marinna, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Marinna

Marinna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I am looking for some information usually I could expect in shop manual but Prius Prime doesn't even have this available so just wondering if anyone knows anything about this:

1. Does EV/HV battery somewhat connects to starting battery?
    I know the voltage is very different and down-step has cost but want to understand if EV/HV battery somewhat charge starting battery at all? There are corner cases like if your starting battery is low when you start the car it's under EV mode so when you switch to HV what would happen if your starting battery is dead? I had a habit to carry jump starter in my car but I figure if they are connected jump starter might not be needed at all.

2. Which battery all the lights and electronics connects to?
    This is for a specific use case I had. I uses a DC charger to charge my laptop when I use it in the car. The DC charger up-step 12V to 19V so they can charge the laptop properly. Usually if you keep your engine off that 90~100W consumption will drain your starting battery quickly. Is it still the same case for Prime?

3. Auto power off
    When you turn on the engine and not moving it for a few minutes the car will shot down itself. Is there a way to change that auto power off timer or maybe completely disable it? I know generally it's not a good idea but sometimes instead of charing your car and go somewhere for two hours I would rather sit in my car quietly while I can talk to people on the phone, answering some emails on my computer, or simply listen to radio. I can't find a way to make this happen with Prime right now without keep starting the car every few minutes.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The HV is the engine starting battery, the 12 volt battery just powers up the computers. Be very carefull jump starting the 12 volt battery, hundreds if not thousands of dollars damage if you do it wrong.

This video explains Gen 2 Prius electricals, but is not Prime specific.

12 volt charging starts about minute 15 to 18

Unless the 12 volt battery can power the computers, they never let the HV Battery start the engine.
    Everything but the Motor/Generators in the transaxle and the Air conditioning compressor are 12 volt. Never use electricity in the Prius except in Ready, so the HV Battery can charge the small 12 volt battery.
    You do not have a battery charger for the HV Battery. Neither does the dealer. Expect Toyota to take weeks to get one to your dealer. Do NOT let the HV Battery get low.

prime8472 and YPizza like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I remember reading that our plug-in Prius Prime has a built-in charger that also has a 12V power supply. The TIS documentation reports it can provide enough power to boot the 12V system and then recharge the traction battery. However, this is not something I've verified and I'm having trouble getting back on to find the source.

The J1772 plug depends upon sharing a "pilot" signal before a relay in the EVSE closes to provide 110/220 VAC to the car. How this happens without 12V from the car isn't clear. I don't see the nominal pilot signal circuit providing enough 12V power so let's keep this aside for now.

It is likely this mode only happens AFTER the car starts charging with a nominally working, 12V battery, and the secondary 12V DC-to-DC charger is just to make sure the car remains 'stable' while the traction battery charging is going on.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It’s been years since Toyota offered printed shop manuals, but electronic versions of the Repair Manual, New Car Features, Collision Repair Manual, and Electrical Wiring Diagram books for the 2017 Prius Prime are shown as available by subscription to Toyota TIS (techinfo.toyota.com). The prices start at $15 for two days, if you just want access to the publications and not the Techstream diagnostic software, which is useless without a Mongoose or other compatible interface module.

You may find some of your questions answered in the New Car Features book. Don’t let the title mislead you; it’s a system-by-system review of the vehicle’s technical characteristics, not an advertising brochure.

I don’t know about the Prime specifically, but other Prius models (and more exotic vehicles, like the Mirai) have a fairly conventional low-voltage electrical system for the lights, ignition, entertainment system, power outlets, etc., but there is no alternator. The auxiliary (12 volt) battery is charged by a DC-DC converter powered from the hybrid vehicle battery; this converter operates only when the hybrid system is in READY mode. If the auxiliary battery voltage is too low, the hybrid system can’t start, even if the hybrid vehicle (HV) battery is charged.

In my Prius, with the hybrid system in READY mode and the car parked, the engine will run for a few minutes at a time, and then stop, to recharge the hybrid battery, but the hybrid system will stay in READY mode. There are two other modes (ACCESSORY and ON, similar to key-on/engine-off in other cars) in which the car will turn off by itself, and I believe the Prime is similar, as your Owner’s Manual describes on page 326:

◼️ Auto power off function
    If the vehicle is left in ACCESSORY mode for more than 20 minutes or ON mode (the hybrid system is not operating) for more than an hour with the shift position in P, the power switch will automatically turn off. However, this function cannot entirely prevent the 12-volt battery discharge. Do not leave the vehicle with the power switch in ACCESSORY or ON mode for long periods of time when the hybrid system is not operating.​

Isn’t the whole idea of the Prius Prime that the HV battery can be charged externally, in everyday use?

I realize the sense in which you meant this, though, and by way of explanation for @Marinna: as on older Prius models, the HV battery charging system built into the car, whether it’s charging from the engine or from a plug-in source, requires 12-volt power to operate, and the HV battery itself must have at least a minimum state of charge. If the HV battery charge is too low, it can only be recharged by a technician using a special service tool (SST), such as the Midtronics GRX-5100 (SST 11413-00002) or the THS Charger Set (SST 09880-10021).

This is an extraordinary situation, however. If the auxiliary battery is discharged, but the HV battery has at least the minimum charge and there are no other failures, the auxiliary battery can usually be recharged with any high-quality car battery charger or by jump starting from another vehicle (with due care, as @JimboPalmer warns; see pp. 694–699 in the Owner’s Manual).

Last I checked, it wasn’t an essential SST for all dealers, but those with substantial Prius service business are encouraged to buy Toyota’s hybrid electric vehicle workstation, which includes a GRX-5100 and other high-voltage paraphernalia (see page 24 of the SST Storage System Master Index).

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the pip, not only does the hybrid battery keep the 12v battery charged while 'ready', when you plug in to charge the hybrid battery, it also charges the 12v. i wonder if prime is the same?

6. Marinna

Marinna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't quite get it. Isn't that 12V battery more vulnerable from discharging? Even when you don't start your engine for a few weeks it would die, and it degrade fast as my experience told me to expect an average 3 years life cycle. If you can't jump start that battery you will very easily get screwed in many cases. and how can an improper charge of this battery propagate the damage to other system? (I assume you suggest traction battery, not ECU or other electronics in the car)

My use case with Prime usually involves discharging my car while it is parked and connects to the power plug (which I thought safe), in which case either ACCESSORY or READY mode doesn't really last that long. It would only take less than 5 minutes to power down. That's the part that annoys me when I try to find things to do in my car while waiting my car to get charged.

Chaughten likes this.
  7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Any Prius hates not being used. I do not recommend a Prius to an owner who will not start it for 3 weeks.

If you, even for moment, reverse polarity while jump starting from another car, you will burn up at least hundreds of dollars of fuses and fusable links, if you are lucky. If you are unlucky parts of the inverter are damaged. So few mechanics can repair the inverter, they most often replace it for $4000. Many jump packs protect against reverse polarity, a feature I recommend.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gen 4 prius, including prime, has a new larger 12v battery under the hood. driving it every 3 weeks should not be a problem.
    i leave my pip with the tiny 5 year old 12v in the hatch for 5 weeks without driving it, and it's very robust when i fire it up.
    as far as using accessories whilst waiting for your car to charge, all you have to do is restart it every time it shuts off. the charger is also charging the 12v, so it's no biggie.

9. Marinna

Marinna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This thread is really interesting while I start to gain more insight how the electrical systems works. I do wonder, if Prius Prime is using 12V battery to start the electronics what would happened the battery gives up while we are driving? Traditional car will usually shutdown the engine. I wonder if Prius will do the same thing or it will keep moving until you park and stop the car?

This happened to me twice on my previous cars caused by alternator failures and I only find out that when the battery drained. I assume it will less likely for Prius to have a quick discharge like that if the traction battery is used to power the engine. That would also lead into an interesting scenario that if my 12V battery do die, could we simply use a small battery pack that offers 12V output to start the electronics and then traction battery, since 12V battery no longer has to provide that large cranking current to the engine.

I hope I will never find that in the field but always prepares the worst especially 12V battery has always been one of the main sources of my car trouble.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    car uses the hybrid battery after it boots up, so it will keep running until you shut it down. yes, a small battery pack will start it. some carry a rechargeable jump pack. but i think you are over worrying, the new 12v battery is much improved.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just assume the "Christmas lights" come on and the car goes into neutral. I just replaced my 12V this spring. It was around 7.5 years old. No issues. It was more of a preventative measurement on my part.

12. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What is interesting with the Prius is, after being in ready you can disconnect the 12V and drive off. Any and all voltage levels are sourced from the HV. After this test drive remember to connect the 12V again.

13. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    IMG_0703.JPG
    I bought a small recharge device, about 8X 4 inches, supposedly can provide up to 60 amps, I have only used it on my computers, also charges in car. Neat. Cost ~ $35

That's neat.

Sits in my spare tire. That's just too neat.

TY

#13 Andyprius1, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
    HPrimeAdvanced and bisco like this.
  14. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I will sometimes be using a CPAP machine in my 2017 Prius Prime (it plugs directly into the cigarette lighter plug, with no inverter, via an adapter made by the manufacturer of the CPAP machine). Note that for this purpose I have had an extra cigarette lighter plug installed wired directly to the 12V battery with 10 gauge wire and an inline fuse. I want to make sure that I understand what is being said in this thread so that I don't drain my 12V or HV battery while using it. I have a few questions I hope you'll be kind enough to answer:

1. From what I've read in this post and others, if I'm using my CPAP, I want to be sure to leave my Prime in "READY" mode, not the "ON" or "ACCESSORY" modes. If I leave it in either of the latter modes, the Prime will eventually shut down and I risk draining the 12V battery in the meantime. True?

2. Apparently, in the "READY" mode, the HV battery will periodically automatically charge the 12V battery when the 12V battery starts to get low, thus preventing the 12V system from discharging. But, if the HV battery starts to get low from charging the 12V battery, will my Prime also start itself periodically if necessary so that it charges the HV battery?

3. I see warnings here and in other threads to never discharge the HV battery as doing so requires servicing by a Toyota dealer with a special tool (the SST). (A) I know the Prime has multiple high voltage batteries and a different plug in mode charging system, so is this risk/warning also true of the Prime? (B) How might one end up discharging the HV battery (so I can avoid doing so)?

4. If you leave the Prime in "READY" mode and walk away from it (removing the electronic key from the range of the Prime), the Prime beeps, but it seems to stay in "READY" mode. If you keep the the electronic key out of range, does the Prime end up shutting down at some point?

Thank you for any explanation you can offer. I've read other threads about this, but I'm still not clear about the above questions, especially as related to the Prime.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    1. True that you want it in Ready to power for continuous power, but most modern cars will shut off the power in Accessory after a time period to protect the battery and save charge to start the car. You could drain the 12 volt in it by repeated restarting of the mode and if the battery is already low on charge. So On is the mode that can result in a drained 12 volt.
    2. Yes, the engine will come on to top off the battery when the state of charge gets low.
    3. People have driven the Prius without gas in the tank. This leads to discharging the battery too much. So the car needs to be in Ready and have no ICE fuel in order for there to be a risk of the battery draining too much. I doubt your CPAP is a heavy enough load to drain the HV battery in the event the car ran out of gas while you were sleeping.
    4. I can't say for current models, but the gen2 could be driven off without the key in that case.

Insighter likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's correct. Many people have found out the hard way.

Close. The HV battery continuously maintains the charge on the 12V battery.
    Yes, the engine will start as needed to maintain charge in the HV battery in any Prius. That's why they are so popular for camping in the car. Air conditioning all night and you only use a very small amount of gas.

As @Trollbait said, running out of gas will do it. But really, any time the ICE won't start and you keep trying, you're running down the HV battery cranking a dead engine. That will eventually run it flat.

Not sure about that since I don't have a Prime. I'm not even sure on my PiP or Gen 2 because I've never done that. ;)

Insighter likes this.
  17. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you for the answers.

Yes, as regards question #4, I think that if you do walk away with the electronic key leaving the Prime running, the Prime could still be driven until it is shut off, though I haven't tried. My thought is that if I am camping or somehow outside my car using the CPAP, I really don't want to leave the electronic key in it in case someone does hop in and drive it off. At least that way they wouldn't have the key and be able to restart it once they shut it off.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Assuming the 12 volt was able to boot up the computers and engage the HV battery first.

jerrymildred and Insighter like this.
  19. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is CPAP ?

20. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1. From what I've read in this post and others, if I'm using my CPAP, I want to be sure to leave my Prime in "READY" mode, not the "ON" or "ACCESSORY" modes. If I leave it in either of the latter modes, the Prime will eventually shut down and I risk draining the 12V battery in the meantime. True?
    True. If there is any chance you will do so, a jump start pak may be in your future.

2. Apparently, in the "READY" mode, the HV battery will periodically automatically charge the 12V battery when the 12V battery starts to get low, thus preventing the 12V system from discharging. But, if the HV battery starts to get low from charging the 12V battery, will my Prime also start itself periodically if necessary so that it charges the HV battery?
    Yes the 12 volt battery is charged continuously while in Ready, and the engine will start to keep the HV Battery charged if it can. Nothing can start (or stop) the engine in N, so avoid N.

3. I see warnings here and in other threads to never discharge the HV battery as doing so requires servicing by a Toyota dealer with a special tool (the SST). (A) I know the Prime has multiple high voltage batteries and a different plug in mode charging system, so is this risk/warning also true of the Prime? (B) How might one end up discharging the HV battery (so I can avoid doing so)?
    A) still true B) the most common ways to discharge the the HV Battery are driving with an empty tank and operating the car in N. In N the engine cannot start to recharge the HV Battery. Toyota is required by law to have an N, you never want to use it.

4. If you leave the Prime in "READY" mode and walk away from it (removing the electronic key from the range of the Prime), the Prime beeps, but it seems to stay in "READY" mode. If you keep the the electronic key out of range, does the Prime end up shutting down at some point?
    It will run out of gas eventually.

This video explains the gen 2 high voltage system

This video compares and cotrasts the Gen1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen 4 Prius and a Ford Fusion and Chevy Volt.