1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to clean the air directing flap(s) in the dashboard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alexeft, May 7, 2019.

1. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

the flap(s) that direct the air when using the AC are making a continuous noise, probably like the motor is trying to reach a certain position but can't. I suspect there is some debris in there, leaves or so. Is it possible to clean them? How can I pull this mechanism out?

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are three of them. Two are easy to get to, as described in this thread. If your wiggling one is one of those two, easy peasy.

If it's the third one (air intake fresh/recirc) you're in for a longer bout of dash disassembly to get to it.

The two on the easy side are super easy to remove in Gen 1. In Gen 2 there is apparently an ECU also mounted down there blocking access to one of the screws. There's another thread somewhere (from the last year, I think; don't have time to search for it) where somebody described a very thin, flat offset Phillips screwdriver he used for reaching that screw without having to fuss with the ECU.

alexeft and SFO like this.
  4. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A